U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 10:51 AM

15,371 posts, read 34,671,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I have to say that I really miss the old-fashioned regular keys. Why can't we just go back to them? They've worked for thousands of years just fine.
Because they were cost prohibitive every time a guest accidently went home with one....rooms had to be rekeyed by the locksmith.

We get probably 5 calls a day from people that realize they walked off with the room keycard.....

Checking the room out automatically renders that card unusable....as does staying beyond the predetermined [and paid for] departure date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 11:11 AM

4,351 posts, read 7,997,930 times
A bit paranoid..... however, if you guys really want to know how lame hotel information security can be... do a search for "Major Malfunction". That (I believe) is the "call sign" of a security expert that I saw speak awhile back. This person is an expert on infrared communications.

The issue here is that the technology old.. so many don't even bother securing it. So one of the things this guy did was hack the hotel's TV. You know how you can get your statistics via the hotel's TV? Well... guess how the cleaning crew updates a room's status? Yup, the remote. They use a code to get into the administrative portion of it.....

Not to get into any boring details (I'm sure you can google for his presentation)... but once in, he was able to look at the info for other peoples rooms, order movies, etc...

He even changed the background of the splashscreen... instead of "Hilton" or "Marriot" with a picture of the hotel.. he took a screen shot of an adult film and put it there.

You couldn't get credit card info... but you could see who stayed where, what they ordered, what calls they made etc...

Old 07-21-2008, 05:03 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,390,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I have to say that I really miss the old-fashioned regular keys. Why can't we just go back to them? They've worked for thousands of years just fine.
Yes, they worked fine when almost all of the people in the world were honest. Unfortunately, that's not now the case. Now you never know whether the person that stayed in the room a week ago, or a month ago, or ??? made a copy of the key, and will come back when your valuables (or worse - you) are in the room.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:31 PM

10,574 posts, read 12,754,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
Yes, they worked fine when almost all of the people in the world were honest. Unfortunately, that's not now the case. Now you never know whether the person that stayed in the room a week ago, or a month ago, or ??? made a copy of the key, and will come back when your valuables (or worse - you) are in the room.
I understand your point, but I think the main security issue would come from hotel employees. Now they know who entered each room and when. I would never leave valuables unsecured in a hotel room anyways. I would either put them in a safe (if they had one) or take them with me. If you are in the hotel room it would be hard for someone to break in since they usually have a separate interior lock which can only be engaged or disengaged from the inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or