U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 08:05 PM

154 posts, read 481,342 times

Advertisements

Those were good post everyone, seems like CT is favored
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 09:14 PM

25,668 posts, read 24,296,710 times
I still say central.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:27 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,618,002 times
i am going to go with EST
all business is cunducted with EST in mind.
shows come at a nice prime time. i am guessing PST people have to miss our prime time shows because they are driving back from work.
closer to european time so easier for us to call family. we call in the morning, they are having their lunch.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:49 AM

2,568 posts, read 5,988,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i am going to go with EST
all business is cunducted with EST in mind.
shows come at a nice prime time. i am guessing PST people have to miss our prime time shows because they are driving back from work.
closer to european time so easier for us to call family. we call in the morning, they are having their lunch.
Prime time shows are replayed at prime time here. The only thing that is live is sports. Which means they end earlier. My dh loves that part because he used to fall sleep watching baseball games in EST.
I do hate PST when it comes to calling family in Europe. It is 9 hours difference.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:41 AM

1,041 posts, read 4,034,345 times
I HATE Hawaiian time. Some of our programming is on pacific time (but not all of it!) so you never really know what is on on TV. Also, I hate having everything being old news from the mainland. Or, things that are broadcasted live are on really random times (usually in the early morning hours). The only advantage is if something interesting happens in the middle of the night, you learn it first because you are awake. Also, my family is all 5 or 6 hours ahead of me. YUCK.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:12 PM

198 posts, read 267,564 times
Pacific Coast Time..hands down. Stock market opens here on TV at 6:30 and closes at 1PM...many NFL football games start at 10AM, and even on December 21, it is just getting darki at 5PM.

I spent 55 years on EST...I love the California time zone.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:17 PM

198 posts, read 267,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I love Eastern Standard Time because we get news practicly right as it happens!
So does the west coast..we are just three hours earlier on the clock.

Remember...MSNBC, FOX, and CNN are 24 hour news stations.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:43 PM

579 posts, read 1,146,667 times
For sports fans, the best time zone is the Mountain time zone. For example, nationally-televised nighttime sporting events such as the All-Star game and postseason baseball, Monday night football, and NBA playoff games begin around 8:30 pm or 9:00 pm in the Eastern time zone. Most people living in the eastern time zone have to go to be before the games end, and such games are too late for young children. However, beginning three hours earlier in the Pacific time zone (and in Arizona for the majority of the year, due to lack of DST in AZ), a person living living in the far western part of the USA may not be able to get home from work before the games begin and would miss the early part of a televised night game.

I live in AZ and when the Diamondbacks play a team on the road in the eastern time zone during the regular season, the game begins about 4:05 pm Arizona time, which is before the time most people leave their offices to go home.

However, if AZ instituted daylight savings time, like other states in the Mountain Time Zone such as NM, UT, and CO, road night games in the east would begin at 5:05 pm, which makes it easier for one to return home in time for the start of the game. The big sporting events that begin late would be on the air beginning at around 6:30 pm and would end around 10:00 pm, so one could still get home in time to watch the entire game and still get to bed at a reasonable hour.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:35 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,968,211 times
Pacific. Evening sports like the NBA playoffs start at 4 or 5 and then at 7 or 8. Monday night football is over at a comfortable 9PM or so (not after midnight.)

Old 07-24-2010, 12:34 PM

34,672 posts, read 33,671,635 times
Wnen I lived on the East Coast, I never thought about it much except when I traveled for business but now I live close to a time zone change so it is not uncommon for me to cross over the line twice in the same day on a day trip. If I'm not meeting anyone, my solution is not to change my watch and keep operating on ET, my time zone. I don't think any time zone is better than any other one. It's just a little more troublesome for those who live near a time zone change area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or