U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 05:54 PM

673 posts, read 2,919,195 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been wanting to go to NYC for so long! He's been but many years ago, and I have never been. We now have a three year old that would be traveling with us as well.

We'd be driviing up from VA and would be going the end of August. I am not real familiar with NY but know that alot of what I want to see is in Manhattan. Things I really want to see are:

Statue of Liberty
Times Square
Central Park
World Trade Center Towers memorial

Now the big question. Where should we stay? I'm not looking to spend a fortune on a hotel, but want someplace safe to stay and that has a somewhat reasonable location. I've done some research online and found a hotel in New Jersey that was a Super 8 for $100 a night. I dont know if that is a good thing? I would like to stay around $150 a night or so...if that's possible.

Another question is transportation. We will be driving to the hotel but want to park the car and ride the mass transit system. What is the best way to get around?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 06:13 PM

2,013 posts, read 4,997,771 times
Look into staying in NJ, and then taking either the bus, train or the path train into NYC. You might also want to try hotels.com for finding a place to stay~or use AAA to help you get some ideas.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:08 AM

4,334 posts, read 12,229,009 times
I would stay in the Secaucus area and just do the park and ride thing into the city. Secaucus has a huge park and ride lot. Or stay somewhere in Ft. Lee and take the Ferry across in Edgewater on the river. You have many choices.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:17 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,627,593 times
another option is to stay in Wayne NJ and then take the bus into NYC. from there you would buy a metro card and HAVE FUN!!!

Old 07-25-2008, 02:43 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,516,964 times
Are you using TripAdvisor dot com in your research? It's real reports on the real experiences of real travelers, everywhere. This will open on the New York City overview page, and all the info links you need are there. I spent the first 30 years of my life in Manhattan and I know you're in for an amazing, fabulous time! Have fun researching and have a wonderful experience!
New York City Tourism - New York City Vacation Reviews - New York City Vacations - TripAdvisor

I have a question: why would you stay in New Jersey when you want to be in New York City? Of course you will spend more money staying in the city, but you will spend so much of your vacation simply traveling back and forth from a hotel in New Jersey! Is cutting your "NYC vacation" by about 25% or 30% worth that money to you? How many times in your life do you expect to be in NYC? Is that worth NOT being in NYC? Make sense?...

Old 07-25-2008, 03:33 PM

4,270 posts, read 13,974,179 times
You're not going to find anything "cheap" in NYC so $100 is a good deal, IMO, even if it's not in NYC. The commute will suck but obviously there is a tradeoff.

I think on average I've stayed at hotels for around $200/night. The best deals I've gotten have been around $180-ish. Try those discount websites. Let me know if you need help finding them.

I also sent my bro an email a while back ago about places to eat and stuff. I'm at work now with no access to personal email so if I remember, I'll try to find that email and paste it here when i get home. You will have a lot of fun!!

Old 07-26-2008, 07:31 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,889,828 times
We are just wrapping up our NE trip. We did about 10 day in Manhattan and have kids 1, 3 and 5. Fortunately we were able to do a swap and got great apartment right on Central Park. Hotels are very expensive. The closest I saw in your range were on Hotwire. I think it was the Ramada for 129 in Jamaica. I think you can hop on the Subway from there into Manhattan. You must check.

Booking the hotel for weekend nights is cheaper.

Why drive in at all? It is a hassle. The Chinatown buses will get you in from Washington DC for 15 bucks. Parking alone will be 40 bucks day. Gas and tolls will be another 100 bucks. You do not want or need car in Manhattan. Apply savings to a more convenient hotel.

On Hotwire you can get a 3* suite hotel with a small kitchen which might be good for the kid for under 200. He/she can only last a few hours and you can't waste it on traveling to and from the hotel.

Oh. My friends blew 50 head on the double decker for one day. In front of starbucks near the empire state on 34th there was another double decker company for 25 with 2 day on off rides.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:23 PM

7,079 posts, read 34,539,622 times
What's your price range? Try Orbitz or one of the other travel sites.

I wouldn't stay in Jamaica. It's not terribly safe.

Splurge! Stay in Manhattan!

And there is no memorial at the WTC site. It's just a huge, sad, empty hole. Nothing to see.

You can get to everything on your list in one day. THEN what do you like to do? Theater? If you like the theater you can get discount tickts at the TKTS booth in several locations, just prior to the performances. TKTS Discount Booths

And there are some wonderful museums in NYC.

NYC is much more than Times Square, Central Park and the Lady in the Harbor!

Old 07-28-2008, 07:13 PM

70 posts, read 227,262 times
I would suggest staying in Manhattan, too. The commute might take up too much time. But then again, with a 3 year old, you probably will be heading back to your hotel fairly early, so maybe it's not such a bad idea.

I also totally agree that you should make TripAdvisor .com your new best friend.

There are barely any hotels in Queens and Brooklyn, unless they're next to the airport which means they are not near a subway or anythign else. Not ideal with a small child. So Jersey might be your best bet, esp for parking your car. But I don't know Jersey too well. Good luck. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:00 AM

1,610 posts, read 4,394,801 times
My very favorite travel site is Trip Advisor. You can search for hotels wherever you are going and there are reviews from people who have stayed there. Reviews of vacations, hotels, resorts, vacation and travel packages - TripAdvisor I have always had good luck finding little gems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or