U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 10:03 AM

4,270 posts, read 13,970,430 times

Advertisements

I'm goin to Europe next week so I just read up on the rules. Why was the small toothbrush and toothpaste a hassle? It says on the TSA website that you can't carry on a regular-sized toothpaste. All gels, liquids etc must in in 3 oz containers or less! They said that like in about 100 places on the website - ok, i get the point!! I think I'm just going to pack all that stuff and take my chances!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 10:46 AM

21,362 posts, read 33,045,355 times
I traveled over the weekend and coming home they just about didn't let me carry on my bicycle parts. I had pedals, a crank, a bottom bracket and various other bike parts. The look on the x-ray person, priceless. I got the stupid pat-down after that happened.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:19 AM

Foma, where are you going in Europe? In May I went to England, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Switzerland, and Italy on a three week backpack trip. I love my Rick Steves convertible carry-on bag. I used that and a Northface day-bag for the trip. I have a photo thread in this forum and in the photography forum. Hope you have a great trip!

Old 07-26-2008, 11:35 AM

4,270 posts, read 13,970,430 times
We're doing a cruise. I'd love to backpack across Europe but this time it'll be a cruise with my Mom. We'll be visiting Spain, Italy and France. I can't wait! The conversion rate sux but oh well ... this is something I really want to do with her before she's too old. I can't wait!

Old 07-26-2008, 11:42 AM

I learned a lot on my trip, pack lighter! If you think you have too much with you, then you do! I wound up shipping some items home, extra pants, a jacket, and a bunch of socks. We used the train system getting around except for a night ferry from England to Netherlands, it is very neat and efficient. Have a great trip and don't forget to post pictures!

Old 07-26-2008, 02:02 PM

10,530 posts, read 12,738,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I'm goin to Europe next week so I just read up on the rules. Why was the small toothbrush and toothpaste a hassle? It says on the TSA website that you can't carry on a regular-sized toothpaste. All gels, liquids etc must in in 3 oz containers or less! They said that like in about 100 places on the website - ok, i get the point!! I think I'm just going to pack all that stuff and take my chances!
Sorry. What I meant was that the short toothbrush was very difficult to brush with.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:49 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,256,926 times
MAKEUP IS OKAY TO TAKE ON YOUR CARRY-ON! You CAN keep your mascara and everything else besides a LIQUID foundation in the same make-up bag. Just take the make-up bag out of your carry-on and place it in one of the plastic bins w/ your QUART sized ziploc. Put your liquid foundation in the ziploc w/ other liquids. No big deal at all. Most don't even care if the liquid foundation is in your make-up bag as long as you pull the bag out and put it w/ the ziploc. If you don't sometimes they will pull it over to the side to make sure what it is and that can take all of 2 minutes just for them to make sure it is indeed makeup.

We just got back over the weekend from vacation and fly many times a year domestic AND international. This latest trip was international and no problems at all.

As for how many ziploc bags you can take - the sky is the limit. All of our medicines will not fit in a quart sized ziploc so we have to use a gallon sized one. No one has ever said a word about it since the inception of this rule. One child has asthma and we have all of her inhalers, liquids, meds, etc along w/ our regular meds and normal stuff like Tums, Excedrin, Tylenol, etc. All in one HUGE gallon sized ziploc. Just pull it out and put it in the plastic bin.

I usually have a ziploc bag for the stuff that is liquid that I normally keep in my purse and that does NOT INCLUDE LIPSTICK! I've NEVER had to take lipstick out of my purse or put it in a ziploc bag. The stuff in my purse that I do put in a baggie is: small tube of hand lotion, small bottle of tylenol, nail polish. In my carry-on the ziploc bags contain: small bottles of shampoo, conditioner, hairspray (small areosol cans they now make - FINALLY), small tube of toothpaste (usually TWO to THREE of these), tube of body lotion.

I normally I myself 3-4 plastic ziploc bags to pull out. No big deal. Just keep the right on top and when you sit your bag down to unzip it they are right there. I don't even keep them in the large carry-on nor anything else in there that needs to come out at the TSA screen. I keep the ziploc bags in my backpack and the 1 sitting on top of the inside of my purse.

This last trip one of the kids forgot to take out their ziploc bag of shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, lotion and they just got pulled over to the side and the agent opened the suitcase, pulled it out saw what it was and put it back and off we went.

It really is pretty simple and not as bad as it is made out to be.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:38 PM

6,262 posts, read 17,362,185 times
wow, thanks momof2! great post and very helpful.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:54 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,247,501 times
Isn't it funny that you can bring knitting needles in carryon? Wierd, right? TSA: Transporting Knitting Needles & Needlepoint (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm - broken link)

Old 07-29-2008, 10:10 PM

6,262 posts, read 17,362,185 times
LOL, I am pretty sure I could put a hurting on someone with knitting needles, in the event that I needed to!! That's amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Isn't it funny that you can bring knitting needles in carryon? Wierd, right? TSA: Transporting Knitting Needles & Needlepoint (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or