U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 01:56 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,659,483 times

Advertisements

Each airport or person in security seems to have its own level of tolerance. After 9/11 they took everything when I flew. Nail clippers, lighter, food, water, make- up. Now if you follow the rules no big deal... liquid make up bag --- just like everyone else stated. In Seattle if bag is too big if only inch - found it to be checked. I found it funny last year I went through Denver, Soiux Falls SD, a couple of other mid west airports, and even Seattle with a little -smaller than 1/2 inch- antique knife that didn't even open. I took from my grandfatherfathers belongings in my make up bag. Forgot about it. Went to Vegas in March and got pulled over because they thought I had a wine opener - cork screw - that one confused me. They found/took the knife ... big deal that day. Just don't buy coffee/water try to take in - they throw away- lighter no problem now. And slip on shoes save alot of time! Happy travels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 03:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,053 times
We need to stand up for our rights. This BS isn't making us any safer, but it does get the public used to being treated like cattle.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:58 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Élan vital View Post
my daughter flew out on a business trip this morning. She called when she arrived to say that in her carry on she had packed a can of Campbells soup to eat later. Security took it and an unopened Jello pudding cup.
Idiots! Common sense should prevail with these security measures but it doesn't seem to be.
Perhaps the security guy was hungry
Maybe the one that needs some common sense is your daughter who obviously thought the rules didn't apply to her. Then couldn't understand why the people behind her in line that she was holding up were getting impatient.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:41 AM

11,261 posts, read 19,805,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I'm guessing they frisked one too many blue haired ladies and got a few jabs of knitting needles to realize that "granny" was not going to blow up a plane. She just wanted to knit while waiting the 4-5 hours in the airport.
Yeah, I just checked the TSA site because I might travel with my knitting. To be on the safe side, I will bring my bamboo needles instead of the metal ones. But, I'll leave the cutting device in the checked bag.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:28 AM

8,225 posts, read 14,940,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
A week ago I flew through Fiji on the way to Australia. They took my unopened packet of beef jerky and my cheese crackers. I wasn't even entering the country, simply going through on a layover.

They also took my 1" long embroidery scissors, my fingernail clippers, and my embroidery needles. Fiji does not love me

Umm, yeah you were entering the country. A layover is opportunity to leave the airport, thereby entering the country. We had to go through customs when we landed in Madrid for a layover; and also in Mexico City, another layover. You've landed, arrived, you're entering.

No scissors or cutting equipment in carryon. Period.

To the OP:
As for trying to stuff the world in your suitcase and have a carryon for a 2 week trip, insanity! We, two of us, went on a 2 week cruise and took 5 days' worth of clothing. You have a sink, wash out clothing. If you've been smart and are cruising on Carnival, they have a laundry for cruisers - the other cruiselines want you to pay them waaaaaaaay too much to do your laundry for you - no available laundry facilities.

Don't take your favorite clothes. If you bought more than you can bring home, you can dump some of your clothing.

I always keep my liquids in the small ziplock bag in my "purse" carryon. I also keep coins in a ziplock bag, so with one swoop, I can take out my liquids and coins to drop into the bin. Nothing metal on me - no jewelry. Besides, if you wear jewelry, you are advertising. When travelling, especially abroad, don't advertise yourself as a tourist. Leave jewelry at home; get a small men's style ID wallet with a window on the outside for your driver's license (go to any PX) but I got mine at a dollar store. Take one credit card only. Mine has 3 pockets - outside is ID, 2 inside. I have a piece of paper with my itinerary and an ICE number. Make a copy of your ID and your credit card (both sides) and keep in your luggage/cabin/hotel room.

I use a very large "purse" which I then use for excursions - carries large water bottle (1 ltr) and other stuff I might need. Inside for the plane, I put a smaller bag with book or other stuff I might need handy. I also keep everything compartmentalized in baggies (like tissues and a roll of toilet tissue if I won't have chance to buy it when I arrive).

All medications are in one baggie with a copy of the Prescription and a new prescription is in my checked bags - just in case. My doctor never hesitates to write me a new Rx when we travel.

I think that being organized and prepared makes for very quick and easy trips through gate security and customs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or