U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:39 AM

9 posts, read 16,951 times

Advertisements

I live just outside Dublin, Ireland. Here are my suggestions:
Fly into Dublin airport as opposed to shannon, it's less of an immediate culture shock and a good way to find your footing in Ireland. The posts above don't seem to give the city enough credit, there are many attractions to be seen in the city itself:
Guiness Storehouse
Book of Kells
Museums (free entry)..and many more..
and it is the gateway to the east coast. While i understand that most americans want to see "true Ireland" -ie rolling greens hills and thatched cottages, it is important to discover that dublin is part of "True ireland".
That said, do not spend your whole trip in the city. There is a truth in what was said earlier,,,that the people in dublin look and sound irish, but a european city is a european city, after a while.
A car is essential for your holiday here, particularly as the irish tourist boards slogan is "discover your own ireland".
Galway is an excellent location to stay in the west...easy access to
Connemara (a traditional Gaeltacht area)
The aran Islands
The burren
Cliffs of moher
- study maps beforehand, do not rely on roadsigns, while for irish people following roadsigns is easy, it is very different to america and can be confusing, a slight geographical knowledge is necessary.

Limerick, in my opinion is a waste of time! -just being honest...i HATE the city.

Kerry is beautiful...Ring of kerry, cork/kerry mountains...
Cork is beautiful...and while down in the south the blarney stone must be kissed..
an undiscovered treasure of the south is water...beautiful cliffs and stunning beaches...

Weatherwise...heregoes...the averages posted online can be very misleading. Here's how i would describe the weather...

Winter is cool with cloudy days..temperatures generally in the upper 40's.
Spring is thoroughly unpredictable...weather can be terrible or beautiful..although always mild
Summer is unpredictable...could be a really perfect sunny week (temps in the mid 70's) or a really bad week (temps in the high 60's but with rain),,,always mild..
Autumn is thoroughly unpredictable...mild

In general always unpredictable but never too cold. Could come on a beautiful warm sunny week in spring and a cool rainy week in summer.

hope ive been of some help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 09:48 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,621,989 times
thank you D-Man--very helpful

Old 08-15-2008, 08:47 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,173,300 times
We went to Ireland in October and went to 5 towns in 10 days and took the bus system to get around. It was cheap, easy and we saw a lot in between towns. Aside from Dublin, check out Galway. Nice city. Smaller than Dublin. We flew into Galway and flew out of Dublin to come home. Doing that will allow you to start out in one place and work towards Dublin or vice versa, without having to get back to the airport you flew into it. It worked out very well. Save some money. The Euro is strong and we were a bit surprised how expensive some things were. It was a lovely trip and worth every penny.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:57 PM

2,275 posts, read 5,670,103 times
I went to Ireland in 1996. Flew in to Shannon, made our way up to Connemara, down to Kerry, over to Waterford, then Dublin, and back to Shannon - with many stops in between. We had no set itinerary. We stayed in a different B&B every night (with a couple of exceptions - two nights in Killarney and two near Dublin), deciding each night where we would end up the next day.

We went during the first two weeks of September. It was the "shoulder" season - not high season, not low season. Slightly less expensive than high season, but more expensive than low season. You'll pay a lot less in the low season, but the weather might not be as agreeable.

We had near-perfect weather the entire two weeks of our visit. A couple of exceptions - it was very foggy the first time we went to the Cliffs of Moher, and we couldn't see a thing. (However, we went again at the end of our trip, and it was fabulous.) We had two instances of just a soft drizzle - one morning during breakfast, and another time while we were having tea at Craggaunowen. The only downside to such fabulous weather is the fact that I spent two weeks in Ireland without seeing a single rainbow.

If I were to go back and could only stay in one county in all of Ireland, it would be Kerry. Absolutely stunning.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:49 PM

3,255 posts, read 4,583,460 times
The first time I went, I went to the Republic and the 6 counties. Donegal and Derry were fabulous, Dublin was fabulous, Dingle my favorite. Now when I go, I stay for the entire trip in one spot, because it is so relaxing, but I love the music most of all, and moving around so much, you tend to miss the best sessions. Better to stay in a spot and get invited to various sessions, house parties, etc. Best to decide what it is you are after and plan your trip that way? For example, if you live in Oklahoma and want to go to a world class city, with charm and accessiblity, stay in Dublin. But if you live in NY city and want to wander the lush hills, go to Connemara. If you are religious, go on a pilgrimage. Point is, we cannot tell what your heart's desire might be! But we know you will be happy wherever you go.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:29 PM

2,501 posts, read 6,891,803 times
I was just in Ireland in June and absolutely LOVED it! We (a group of fellow teachers and I) landed in Shannon and drove through the gorgeous countryside to Killarney, where we spent several nights at a very nice resort within walking distance to town. Killarney was such a quaint and friendly town that we were all ready to move there! Adare was another beautiful little town (voted the "Tidiest Town", I believe) we explored. We also absolutely loved the Ring of Kerry with its seaside villages - Sneem and Waterville were favorites. We also visited the Bog Village (facinating!) and a working sheep farm with the highly intelligent border collies. Limerick was interesting because we all had seen the movie, "Angela's Ashes" and also read the book, written by a fellow educator, Frank McCourt. We visited Waterford, Rock of Cashel, Beaumaris Castle, the Blarney Castle, and lots of other villages, then on to Dublin for 2 nights, where we visited the Book of Kells and Trinity College, went on a ghost walk, went out for a night on the town, took in a museum, and did lots of shopping. Dublin was facinating, but I'm not a big city person so I much preferred the small villages and countryside.
We also spent another week in Wales, Scotland, and England, but I liked Ireland the best .... Any Irishmen out there who want to whisk me away to Ireland??

Old 01-08-2009, 04:38 AM

21 posts, read 32,079 times
I live in Cork and I think it's a good place to visit. The west of Cork (Bantry, Schull etc) is very beautiful. Kinsale (close to Cork airport) is a really cute old town renowned for its restaurants. I have been to Dublin for short visits a few times and from my initial impressions, it's almost exactly like any other city, so it wouldn't be top on my list of places to visit. Have fun when you come!

Old 01-08-2009, 04:40 AM

Forgot the time to visit bit...I've only been here six years, but from my experience there is no guarantee about when is a good time to visit. Each spring, summer and autumn have been completely different, but I would say that whatever the weather, September to October is very pretty.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:08 PM

5,128 posts, read 10,259,107 times
I am in the middle of planning a trip to the Kerry coastal area in the first two weeks of September... will be flying to Shannon and we rented a cottage and a car. I can't wait!

forum rules, please read them

Old 01-09-2009, 12:29 PM

Have a great time. I have heard nothing but good things about Kerry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel