U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:22 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,624,604 times

Advertisements

i want to visit Ireland, and i want to know when is the best time to visit and also the least expensive time.

anyone been there? what was your experience.
i think i want to stay in Dublin for the whole trip (1 week) because i want to get the full experience

your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 11:38 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,922,343 times
If you want to get the full experience, you need to get out of the city and see the countryside.
We ferried to Ireland from Wales, then rented a car and zigzagged our way around: Cork, Galway, Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, Kilkenny, Dublin.
Good day trips out of Dublin:
Glendalough (http://wicklow.com/glendalough/ - broken link)
Powerscourt
We were there for a week in late March, only got rained on once and it was not too cold.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:32 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,514,471 times
Smile The "Full Experience" of Ireland

If you want to "get the full experience" of Ireland, it's not in Dublin! That would be like visiting New York City, or Dallas, or Los Angeles and saying, "Well now I know all about America". If you stay in Dublin, you will miss 90% of what Ireland is...

There are wonderful restaurants and other great places in Dublin, but only about a day or day and a half's worth compared with what Ireland really is. My heartfelt recommendation is that you cover as much of southern and western Ireland as you can possibly do. OR stay somewhere in Tipperary, Cork, Killarney and/or Dingle, somewhere like that, rent a car, and roam from there. THAT'S Ireland!

Try this for your research, TripAdvisor dot com, where real travelers tell their real experiences everywhere. This will open on the general Ireland page.
Ireland Tourism - Ireland Vacation Reviews - Ireland Vacations - TripAdvisor

Get a current copy of Lonely Planet or Fodor's guides to Ireland, which will tell you everything you need to know about weather, times of the year to go, currency, etc. etc. Read them bit by bit everywhere you have a few minutes to read -- make this a fabulous project! There's so much to discover!! Have fun!!

Old 07-26-2008, 07:49 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,624,604 times
thanks guys
i was thinking of cork, and i definately want to see the country side, but was worried there was too much to see and it would be a blur
thanks for the recommendations!

Old 07-26-2008, 11:14 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,698,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
If you want to "get the full experience" of Ireland, it's not in Dublin! That would be like visiting New York City, or Dallas, or Los Angeles and saying, "Well now I know all about America". If you stay in Dublin, you will miss 90% of what Ireland is...
I agree with this member 100 % !
I stayed in Ireland 10 days, starting my trip in staying in Dublin....which, it was ok.
But, the REAL fun and excitement began, when I went to the Village of Adare, staying at Adare Manor in Limerick Co.
Limerick Hotels, 5 Star Hotels Ireland, Luxury Castle Hotels Ireland, Five Star Hotels Limerick, Ireland

It was so awesome, fun and exiting.
Of course do you have to make room for trips such as: the Blarney stone, Waterword Crystal Factory, the "ring of Kerry", Jameson Distillery (with FREE taste samples......LOL), and Irish dance and night at a local place.......and the list goes on, and on and on.
Let me put it to you this way....I was there for 10 days, doing something EVERY day, sometimes 2 things every day...and it was WAY TO SHORT of a stay !!!!

You will have a blast....especially when you will discover, that some locals DO DRINK THEIR GUINESS BEER for breakfast.....LOL..... (While you, in the meantime, stumble half asleep to find a coffee....ROTFL!)

Old 07-27-2008, 01:22 AM

3,871 posts, read 15,514,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
was worried there was too much to see and it would be a blur
You have an excellent point! If you stay in a different place each night, it can become -- where am I??

Dublin is a city. If you just go to Dublin you'll see and do pretty much the same things as in almost any European city. They will look and sound Irish, but stores are stores, museums are museums, tall buildings are tall buildings, a bridge over a river is...

How about staying 2 nights each in three or four places? And go to Waterford, Kerry (the Ring of Kerry!!), Limerick or Tipperary, The Burren, Inishmore one of the Aran Islands, maybe Connemara. Rent a car when you land at Shannon Airport and travel with a plan, based on detailed research from travel information, staying at places you've reserved online. Then you'll remember. You will have figured out your plan way ahead of time, understood what you want to see and visit, and learned about those places. When you get to those places you'll remember the photos you've seen in your research and the information you've learned ahead of time.

People speak lilting English everywhere in Ireland, except most of the older residents, who speak only Gaelic, of the Aran Islands which are an amazing and breathtaking experience. So you can always ask for information and help wherever you go.

Half the fun of traveling is anticipating and planning! Enjoy!

Last edited by allforcats; 07-27-2008 at 01:34 AM..

Old 07-27-2008, 06:49 AM

5,539 posts, read 9,942,730 times
If you are only going a week, staying in three or four places will be a blur. I'd recommend a few days in Dublin, then stay in the Galway area the rest of the time. Galway is a great city itself, and is close to the Burren, the Aran Islands, Connemara, etc. for day trips.

Planning to go for the best weather can be a fruitless endeavor - any time of year can be great or lousy, sometimes in the same day. It's definitely cheaper to go in the winter, but there's far less daylight which can be depressing. Try spring or fall as a compromise to high costs and an overflow of tourists.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:23 PM

1,616 posts, read 4,910,365 times
Way too much to see! Thats why we've been a few times. I love Ireland. Def don't just stay in dublin. You'll miss the best parts of the country if you do that. If you plan on being in galway at all and you have a car, head up the burren to kylemore abby - a beautiful location and the drive through the burren is fantastic. Other things we really liked was our stay at Dromoland castle. Nothing like being pampered left and right. My favorite thing honeslty was driving around the countryside. We stopped when and where we wanted to. A few other favorites..

The rock of cashel
Museums in dublin
Wandering the streets of Galway
Wandering Waterford

Old 07-31-2008, 05:08 AM

12 posts, read 39,585 times
Dublin would be a waste of time to stay there long term and really there isn't a whole to see there. Shopping is fairly good in the city centre but hotel accommodation is very expensive there, although i would reccommend staying there at least one night because you'll find that Dublin people are different characters altogether from the rest of us.

i personally live in the south east of Ireland, in Waterford, we have a lot of American visitors that come our way to visit historical places such as reginalds tower and visit wateford glass of course.

But to be honest you could really do a lot with a little time here, if you are visiting for history and country side i would try and get to Waterford, Cork, Kilarney and a few other places, and if possible to head back up the west to visit places like Galway, which are all nice spots. if you are flying from the states you may land in Shannon airport, which is in Co. Clare which has lovely countryside and is only down the road form Limerick.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:01 PM

28,242 posts, read 39,901,543 times
Thank you everyone! We are planning a trip to Ireland in the next few years (have to get retired, move, build a house, etc, first) and the ideas and information here are excellent.

This thread has been bookmarked.

Sounds like we need at least two weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel