U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 07:34 PM

735 posts, read 1,448,573 times

Advertisements

Wouldn't you know it? Every Airport in America has a food court that sells,... you guessed it,...fatty fast food. Free soda and cookies on the flight too.

There really should be a weight and size limit on the seats. I consider myself slightly larger than the average male, by an inch or two and a few pounds, but not fat. I think the seats are terribly small and I can't get comfortable in them. I think if you are over 300, you should only be able to sit in first class, having to pay the difference of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 08:12 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,122,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
I sat next to a guy chewing Twizzlers the entire flight from Orlando to Vegas. He chewed and smacked loudly, and then sucked on his nails as he dug piece after piece out of his teeth the entire flight. That was nearly 6 years ago and I still cannot bear to eat a Twizzler.

OT, but how many Twizzlers did this guy have to last on a flight between Orlando and Vegas?! That's at least a 4 hour flight.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:18 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,122,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
A passenger purchases a seat-that is one seat-if he needs two then he has to pay for the extra seat. Crying, bad breath, talkers--all can be unpleasant--but they are in the seat they purchased. I was in a window seat when a quite oversized man was helped down the aisle and into the seat next to me by the attendant. He was incapable of getting up on his own. The seat rest happened to be down and he took up my space and I felt not only suffocated but in a panic from the claustrophobic feeling. In an emergency I was stuck. No way. I moved and he didn't like it. Sorry--but a plane is no place to be locked into a seat unable to move out. What if there hadn't been an extra seat? I support Southwest charging for two seats. Absolutely.
That is a safety hazard, and the man should have been expelled from the flight. If your plane had crashed and you had to escape through the emergency exit, he would have trapped you in, possibly resulting in your death. It's not your fault or the airline's fault that he was so huge.

To me, if you're so fat that you can't move on your own, you need to not be on a passenger plane.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:14 PM

7,186 posts, read 11,231,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
My concern with obese people is that it can make a long flight really unpleasant. I know the airlines are trying to deal with this issue but can appreciate the difficulty in addressing it. My wife and I travel fairly often (retired tourist bums, both of us are fairly trim size). I've come to the conclusion that our best defensive measure on long flights is to purchase three seats in the row and not have to worry about it. First class prices are over the top and I look at the extra coach seat cost as simply insurance for a pleasant flight.
Not looking to argue as I love your logic, BUT, what do you do when the flight is near sold out and the stewardess' tell the late arriving passengers to "take any seat" so the plane can move out?

Old 05-08-2009, 05:26 PM

7,186 posts, read 11,231,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I agree. The chairs shouldn't recline at all. I try to keep in mind that the person reclining in front of me is probably being reclined 'upon' by the person in front of THEM! And so on...
Well, it sucks to be the person in front of me, because the first thing I do during take-off is to wedge my knee up to block them from reclining until a few minutes AFTER they make the announcment that it's ok to recline.

Then if they do manage to recline, I'll find time during turbulence to help the seat "unrecline". (That of course follows after several minutes of rattling newspaper pages right behind their head as I try to read my paper.)

Tricks of the traveler...

But I do agree with a previous poster. I would much rather drive anywhere within 750 miles than to ever travel on commercial flights again. I still have many, many FF miles in my one account, but I won't redeem them for travel becuase I hate flying anymore.

Last edited by Stripes17; 05-08-2009 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: add

Old 05-08-2009, 08:53 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,249,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Well, it sucks to be the person in front of me, because the first thing I do during take-off is to wedge my knee up to block them from reclining until a few minutes AFTER they make the announcment that it's ok to recline.

Then if they do manage to recline, I'll find time during turbulence to help the seat "unrecline". (That of course follows after several minutes of rattling newspaper pages right behind their head as I try to read my paper.)

Tricks of the traveler...

But I do agree with a previous poster. I would much rather drive anywhere within 750 miles than to ever travel on commercial flights again. I still have many, many FF miles in my one account, but I won't redeem them for travel becuase I hate flying anymore.
Do you recline YOUR seat?

Hmmm. Have you ever been blasted with the fan pointed back to you?

Old 05-09-2009, 03:07 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,144,424 times
I am a large man and agree that if I fly I should buy 2 seats. But when 911 happened I retired from ever flying again. Regular perfect in everything they do people can relax now.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:32 AM

2,365 posts, read 10,395,689 times
[quote=the3Ds;8486160]It's unfortunate,,, Airline travel is getting less and less fun and the airlines are certainly not going to make larger seats. They cram seats into the minimum number of inches required by law quote]

Yes, companies will change! You have to make them!! As customers if you don't like tiny seats not large enough to fit a narrow or wide person, then you should complian.

I am a narrow person and I hate all of the airlnes seats. They are too damn Narrow for any adult to sit for hours!!!

They will have to charge more, but that is better than listening to you guys go back and forth over who gets to fly and for how much!!

Old 05-11-2009, 04:36 PM

24,026 posts, read 11,935,291 times
United started charging extra from "passengers of size".

However, since I was lucky enough to inherit my own plane, hence my moniker, my family and I have eschewed the airlines since 2002.

How wonderful it is to go to the airport when we feel like leaving, not subjected to the airlines hub-and-spoke system, not getting felt up by strangers, not having our bags rifled through, not a slave to their schedules or being stranded due to weather.

All that makes the expense of maintaining a twin-engined aircraft worthwhile.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:46 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,424,077 times
Man, getting felt up by strangers is one of the perks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or