U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 05:01 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,256,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgShred View Post
Wouldn't you know it? Every Airport in America has a food court that sells,... you guessed it,...fatty fast food. Free soda and cookies on the flight too.
Yes, and they ambush you, hold you down, and force it down your gullet too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 05:03 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,256,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Well, it sucks to be the person in front of me, because the first thing I do during take-off is to wedge my knee up to block them from reclining until a few minutes AFTER they make the announcment that it's ok to recline.

Then if they do manage to recline, I'll find time during turbulence to help the seat "unrecline". (That of course follows after several minutes of rattling newspaper pages right behind their head as I try to read my paper.)

Tricks of the traveler...
Wow, way to be an absolute douchebag. Congratulations!

Old 05-14-2009, 05:02 PM

493 posts, read 523,937 times
I've gotten lucky with the flights I guess, but I'm not affraid to pick my crap up and move to a different aisle if there are open seats. What they should do with the exceptionally large passengers is improvise by either sending them, or better yet the person crammed next to them, up to a first class seat since those are rarely occupied completely. Charging double is pretty harsh though.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:00 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,094,847 times
As the Obese charges start at what level are they going to start? Meaning are they going to weigh you or have a sample seat at check-in? What is going to be the magic number for each? Out of PC then women who are pregnant would be considered obese due to the additional weight (and child) they are carrying. And since the airlines like to make seats more narrower, then more people will be considered obese. Whats next: Being too tall and having to pay for the seat in front of you because they won't be able to recline. We are getting to a point where the fees may (or will) exceed the price of the ticket. As an example, I just bought tickets for a trip and the taxes/fees were 22% of the ticket price.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:05 PM

493 posts, read 523,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
As the Obese charges start at what level are they going to start? Meaning are they going to weigh you or have a sample seat at check-in? What is going to be the magic number for each? Out of PC then women who are pregnant would be considered obese due to the additional weight (and child) they are carrying. And since the airlines like to make seats more narrower, then more people will be considered obese. Whats next: Being too tall and having to pay for the seat in front of you because they won't be able to recline. We are getting to a point where the fees may (or will) exceed the price of the ticket. As an example, I just bought tickets for a trip and the taxes/fees were 22% of the ticket price.
Exactly. How you would really enforce such nonsense is beyond me. Most people buy their plane tickets from the comfort of their computer screen anyway, and you couldn't just spring that trap on fat people when they show up to airline desk the day of their flight.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:25 PM

413 posts, read 1,218,027 times
The airlines for years have taken out the roomier seats and put in more narrower seats so they could fit more people on the plane. We are no more than cattle to them.

They charge now for check in bags, pillow, blankets etc. I bet if there was a crisis and the oxygen masks were needed you would have to pay up front or you wouldn't get one. Heaven help you if you don't have cash.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:33 PM

You trust the airlines too much. Of course they can spring a trap at the check-in counter. Here's a trap they tried on me on my luggage (before they started to charging for the 2nd piece). My first piece was 10 pounds over and by second piece was 15 pounds under. They tried to hit me up for an additional $20 for the overweight one. I asked the agent " Why don't you just weigh both together, thus they would average to be under?" He said no, his supervisor said no. So I said fine and layed my luggage on the scales until the overweight one was under and then moved it to the underwieght one. Did both of thier faces turn red. And thus no fee.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:17 PM

124 posts, read 442,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
You trust the airlines too much. Of course they can spring a trap at the check-in counter. Here's a trap they tried on me on my luggage (before they started to charging for the 2nd piece). My first piece was 10 pounds over and by second piece was 15 pounds under. They tried to hit me up for an additional $20 for the overweight one. I asked the agent " Why don't you just weigh both together, thus they would average to be under?" He said no, his supervisor said no. So I said fine and layed my luggage on the scales until the overweight one was under and then moved it to the underwieght one. Did both of thier faces turn red. And thus no fee.
I don't think they were trying to trap you. The rule is a specific amount of weight PER BAG, not a total amount for both bags. Imagine if the limit was 32kg per bag and each passenger was allowed 2 bags. Using your theory if you wanted to transport a comforter in one case you could have up to maybe 60kg in the other - people are expected to be able to lift your bag, it would be quite a shock for the baggage handlers!

I understand there sometimes there are employees that stick to the rules with no exceptions, 10lbs is a significant weight, maybe if it was just 3/4lbs they would have let it slid.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:39 PM

That was 14 months ago. Look what the airlines have waiting for you now (This is Delta's)

Quantity

AmountFeeTravel within the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto RicoBag 1 $15Bag 2 $25 Bag 3 $125 Bags 4-10 $200 eachTravel outside the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto RicoBag 1 no fee Bag 2 $50 Bag 3 $200 Bags 4-5 $350 each Bags 6 - 10$600 each
Weight

AmountFee51–70 pounds $90 each-U.S. domestic; $150 each-travel outside the U.S. 71–100 pounds$175 each-U.S. domestic; $300 each-travel outside the U.S. Over 100 pounds not permitted

Old 05-15-2009, 12:51 PM

Here's the Delta link :Excess Baggage (http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/baggage_allowance/excess_baggage/index.jsp#fees - broken link)

Do you really think thay won't translate this for human cargo soon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or