U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 02:25 PM

3,758 posts, read 7,676,595 times

Advertisements

What about the people who come on the plane a little drunk already and drink throughout the flight and are next to you babbling on and then falling asleep on your shoulder? Can we charge more for that since they are invading our space?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 02:36 PM

1,610 posts, read 4,398,770 times
This thread seems to have drifted to the general topic of irritating passengers in general but the reality is that except for the issue of a too-large passenger overflowing into an adjoining seat, the other "problem" fliers are not infringing on the actual physical space that purchasing a ticket should guarantee you. The purchase of a ticket makes you no promise other than guaranteeing you some actual real estate on the plane but if the man or woman next to you takes his or her space plus a third of yours, that is where the problem lies. There are never any promises made that you will have only sweet-smelling, delightfully charming and quiet seatmates so every flight is a crapshoot. But if I buy a seat on the flight I shouldn't have to give up a portion of that to someone else.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:25 PM

63 posts, read 268,025 times
I'm by no means skinny, but I can comfortably fit in the seats. My last flight involved sitting next to a passenger who weighed no less than 400 lbs. Her arms were so large that she couldn't keep them in her lap so she laid them on my leg. I ended up crunching in the corner praying for the plane to fly faster. Not only this, but she emailed and talked on her cell phone the whole trip. I complained once, but nothing was done. I LOVE to fly but next time I don't care about the price, it's going to be first class!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:58 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,599,873 times
The only way I know to minimize this problem is to reserve an aisle seat. I never reserve window seats anymore, too many problems in the past. At least in the aisle you can lean out and it's also easier to get up and away from the offending slobs.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:48 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,267,261 times
I don't understand why I have to pay extra if my LUGGAGE weighs too much, but someone who weighs twice as much as I do doesn't have to pay extra! I mean, it takes more fuel to fly someone fat than it does someone who isn't. That's just the truth.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:54 PM

3,758 posts, read 7,676,595 times
What would you consider the maximum weight limit per seat?

Old 07-29-2008, 07:57 PM

10,675 posts, read 12,789,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I don't understand why I have to pay extra if my LUGGAGE weighs too much, but someone who weighs twice as much as I do doesn't have to pay extra! I mean, it takes more fuel to fly someone fat than it does someone who isn't. That's just the truth.
But your baggage has to be moved around by people working for the airline. The overweight person only bothers himself to be moved around.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:01 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,267,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
But your baggage has to be moved around by people working for the airline. The overweight person only bothers himself to be moved around.
No, I'm not talking about handling, I'm talking about FUEL costs. HEAVIER weight takes more fuel to move.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/11/bu...=1&oref=slogin

Old 07-29-2008, 08:04 PM

29 posts, read 90,338 times
I don't take many plane trips unfortunatley but i do take public transit and can compair a bit ....i hate being squished in and loud babies and cell phones and teenagers and....and....and....yah know what? such is life......I think people think too much about themselves....what am I getting out of this ...why not me...blah blah blah.....seriously....if i had a nickle for every stinky person I had to endure not throwing up on I would be able to by General Motors....anways....my point is and I agree with the other post .....it is only a little time....learn tollerance.....maybe you are the icky stinky sweaty person that the obese person is stuck sitting next....a stinky person doesnt always know they are the stinky one

Old 07-29-2008, 08:07 PM

29 posts, read 90,338 times
Airlines make things smaller...they have certain regulations on how long the seat is, or how wide it is, and how far it leans back.....everything is cut down to save somewhere......ever think of how a big person feels in a smaller seat? maybe the airline should spend a little more on keeping their passengers comfortable......in society where obesity and even just being overweight is a huge concern.....fast foods....yadda yadda perhaps the world is stuck and can't face the fact that people are larger.....would I pay more to have a bit more room? Sure why not if it was available but why should it always be such a big deal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or