U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:08 PM

55,668 posts, read 74,646,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
This thread seems to have drifted to the general topic of irritating passengers in general but the reality is that except for the issue of a too-large passenger overflowing into an adjoining seat, the other "problem" fliers are not infringing on the actual physical space that purchasing a ticket should guarantee you. The purchase of a ticket makes you no promise other than guaranteeing you some actual real estate on the plane but if the man or woman next to you takes his or her space plus a third of yours, that is where the problem lies. There are never any promises made that you will have only sweet-smelling, delightfully charming and quiet seatmates so every flight is a crapshoot. But if I buy a seat on the flight I shouldn't have to give up a portion of that to someone else.
well said. if i pay for a seat its mine.
respect my space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 08:08 PM

28,243 posts, read 39,914,600 times
Sit next to me. Invade my space. Say hello to my elbow.

I paid for my seat and the space within it. You paid for yours. I don't care why you're fat, if you can't fit in a single seat, pay for two. I will make your life miserable if you can't leave me in peace on an airplane.

Not my problem. Don't try to make it mine.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:14 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,257,302 times
Maybe the airlines should make a few larger seats for obese people and I guess charge them extra. The regular seat is tight enough and I'm not a big guy, but I really don't want someone else making me uncomfortable. I have neighbors: husband, wife, grown sons and daughter, grandchild and son-in-law are all obese and they need to use the larger lawn chairs to sit in as they don't fit in a standard one. The problem with this country is people do not know the right foods to eat, or do not care and do not exercise. Sure, some of it is ginetic but most of it is not and if the majority of people that are obese don't care or do anything about it, well I don't want to be uncomfortable sitting next to one on a plane. Take out 3 seats and put 2 larger seats in its place so everyone is comfortable and charge extra.

Last edited by taurus430; 07-29-2008 at 08:40 PM..

Old 07-29-2008, 08:22 PM

7,136 posts, read 11,018,976 times
When I pay for my seat I expect to have it to myself not share it with someone I don't know.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:32 PM

1,854 posts, read 8,745,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
Maybe the airlines should make a few larger seats for obese people and I guess charge them extra. The regular seat is tight enough and I'm not a big guy, but I really don't want someone else making me uncomfortable. I have neighbors: husband, wife, grown sons and daughter, grandchild and son-in-law are all obese and they need to use the larger lawn chairs to sit in as they don't fit in a standard one. The problem with this country is people do not know the right foods to eat, or do not care and do not exercise. Sure, some of it is ginetic but most of it is not and if the majority of people that are obese don't care or do anything about it, well I don't want to be uncomfortable sitting next to one on a plane. Take out 3 seats and put 2 in place so everyone is comfortable and charge extra.

They call that first class.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:32 PM

7,186 posts, read 11,234,288 times
I usually ask for an F side window when I fly. That means I am in my own little "cocoon" in the window seat, I can lean my head to the right to fall asleep, and nobody is going to bug me to get in or out of the row of seats.

The only problem is that with so little lateral room, I need my front-to-back space. So, as soon we takeoff, I wedge my knee against the back of the seat in front of me. After they announce that it's ok to recline, the person in front of me cannot (thinking there's something wrong with their seat). They usually don't bother again, so I take my knee down after a while and relax for the rest of the flight!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:51 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,251,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I usually ask for an F side window when I fly. That means I am in my own little "cocoon" in the window seat, I can lean my head to the right to fall asleep, and nobody is going to bug me to get in or out of the row of seats.

The only problem is that with so little lateral room, I need my front-to-back space. So, as soon we takeoff, I wedge my knee against the back of the seat in front of me. After they announce that it's ok to recline, the person in front of me cannot (thinking there's something wrong with their seat). They usually don't bother again, so I take my knee down after a while and relax for the rest of the flight!
I'm the one who keeps trying to push the seat back and eventually does...

Old 07-29-2008, 08:55 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,257,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
They call that first class.
I know what first class. Is first class just larger seats? These larger seats should be located in second class. First class you just don't pay for larger seats but more xtras like drinks and food.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:12 PM

2,588 posts, read 4,945,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
If they charge a extra seat for obese passengers, they need to charge double for babies on laps who cry the whole trip!
The way I see it is that this is the human experience. If you want to live in this society, then you get to put up with babies, old people, obnoxious people, ugly people, pretty people, handicapped people, and so on. I'll take a crying baby any day over many other types. Anyway, regarding the topic of this thread, I have a lot of sympathy for obese people on planes. Everyone I've witnessed has done everything in their power to be apologetic and accommodate those next to them. That said, while it might seem discriminatory, I agree that they need two seats if riding in coach. I can't think of any other fair way to do this. I'm pretty small and even I get uncomfortable on long flights. Maybe we can have different sections. The people with children section, the larger people section, the super tall people section, and the everyday Joe section

Last edited by fjtee; 07-29-2008 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: submitted before finished.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:14 PM

32,438 posts, read 17,770,914 times
Maybe we need a "Plus Size Section" for all us fatties. We won't mind paying a few extra $ to be left alone from skinny bones-showing-through-their skin snooty folks!

Oh, are you gonna eat those almonds?

I can hear the announcer now, NOW BOARDING- Bubba seats Triple X through Triple ZZZ. Boom-chukka-lukka.

The commercials can say, "An aisle seat IS a window seat, thank you very much!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or