U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 09:36 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,484,048 times

Advertisements

Yeah, lets go back to segregated seating like the old "good" days.

It's called tolerance people, if you don't like flying with others then I suggest you get out there, make a few gazillion $$$ and buy your own plane.

I tell you what, I nominate that I'll fly next to the fat person over the drunk, the a-hole, the chatterbox, the sleeze, the inconsiderate and my personal favorite, the person that insists on flying with the flu or some other hideous infectious variant. Yeah, I'll sit next to the fat person and those of you that just don't feel you can , can take one of my horrors.

Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 10:09 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,260,815 times
I've got nothing against anyone of any size, but it does upset me that airlines are charging me for extra weight in the form of suitcases, but not charging extra weight to those who carry it on them.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I've got nothing against anyone of any size, but it does upset me that airlines are charging me for extra weight in the form of suitcases, but not charging extra weight to those who carry it on them.
Well then they should weigh everyone. We can all then be charged by weight, both our physical weight and our baggage weight. There should probably be an excise for being too tall too, because people that are too tall seem to take up a lot more space sitting down. Of course that's not going to work out very well for the poor sod in the wheelchair though is it? I mean those things can weigh quite a bit really. Of course it does mean that the average man will always have to pay more than the average woman, so I'm not sure that's particularly fair either really.

I'm more upset that they seem to have developed some kind of concern that my mascara could be used as a weapon.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:18 PM

6,262 posts, read 17,379,364 times
OMG-that has to be THE funniest post I have read on here in a long while. ROFLMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I usually ask for an F side window when I fly. That means I am in my own little "cocoon" in the window seat, I can lean my head to the right to fall asleep, and nobody is going to bug me to get in or out of the row of seats.

The only problem is that with so little lateral room, I need my front-to-back space. So, as soon we takeoff, I wedge my knee against the back of the seat in front of me. After they announce that it's ok to recline, the person in front of me cannot (thinking there's something wrong with their seat). They usually don't bother again, so I take my knee down after a while and relax for the rest of the flight!

Old 07-29-2008, 10:20 PM

ok, you guys are on a roll tonight making me laugh-seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post

I'm more upset that they seem to have developed some kind of concern that my mascara could be used as a weapon.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:24 PM

55 posts, read 190,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof11 View Post
I guess the point is, you are trapped for however many hours on a plane with whom ever bought a ticket for the flight. It is the luck of the draw. Fat people, smelly people, loudly crying people, sometimes even crazy people have to get places. It's less than a day out of your life being a little uncomfortable won't kill you.
Well-said.... I would be upset but just chalk it up to a bad day.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
ok, you guys are on a roll tonight making me laugh-seriously.
Well I mean to say!!!

Clearly these airport officials have NO CLUE how expensive my mascara is not to mention how completely uninterested I am in causing any problem on the plane that would make it drop outta the sky!!!

I can do a lot of things, sprout wings and fly aint one of them!

Old 07-29-2008, 10:29 PM

sort of off topic but no matter how long the flight-whether it's an hour or 12 hours- I canNOT stand being stuck on a plane with someone wearing perfumes/colognes!! I would rather smeall body odor. I'm allergic to perfumes/scents and end up with a raging migraine beofre I reach my destination. So give me crying tots, obese folk, drunks or cell phone users but please leave the perfumes off as they do not belong in enclosed spaces. Please!!

Old 07-30-2008, 04:00 AM
rfb

1,889 posts, read 5,186,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I'm the one who keeps trying to push the seat back and eventually does...
So you're the one who keeps bruising my kneecaps . Seriously, I'm 6'5", and with the limited pitch in coach my knees are sometimes pushed up tight against the seat in front of me, right on the metal bar that is used to hold those magazines and the like. Every so often, I get someone in front of me who just keeps banking the seat back trying to recline farther than my knees can compress. And when I get to my destination or I get home, I've got bruised kneecaps.

Mostly because of my height, I sympathize with the overweight passengers. They really don't want to invade your space, but they also don't want to buy (or can't afford) a business class or first class seat. Do I like sitting next to someone who takes up extra space? No. Can I show a little empathy and live with it for a few hours? Absolutely.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:15 AM

6,715 posts, read 12,285,900 times
You haven't lived until you've flown 16-17 hours from Houston to Tokyo in the middle seat of the middle row surrounded on either side by two enormously fat people on a packed airplane. You want to talk about fun? Ladies and gentleman, I'd rather run through the streets of Baghdad with a target on my back before I experience that hellish nightmare again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or