U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 06:18 AM

32,445 posts, read 17,777,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
You haven't lived until you've flown 16-17 hours from Houston to Tokyo in the middle seat of the middle row surrounded on either side by two enormously fat people on a packed airplane. You want to talk about fun? Ladies and gentleman, I'd rather run through the streets of Baghdad with a target on my back before I experience that hellish nightmare again.
Maybe its karma, GCS! Your luck of the draw. Cosmic destiny's (who is quite obese) idea of a cruel joke.

I can see you sitting there, all scrunched up, the only thing that could of made it worse is if they would've both opened their books, ""Fat Is Contagious: How Sitting Next to a Fat Person Can Make YOU Fat".

Seriously, I have very large shoulders, and even when I was younger and thinner, those airline seats are a joke. And there are some very large people who go wayyy beyond their allotted 18" of space.

But do you think the airlines are going to make a couple of fat seats? No way. If they could get away with charging for 2 seats, the bulk rate, they would. Until then, sit those rattling bones down and let the fatso payback begin!!!!

Did you share your almonds? Well, then the armrest is taken!
Yesss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 06:45 AM

12,049 posts, read 16,786,314 times
To those of you who claim you don't want your babies to cry either- you better hope you don't have someone like me on the plane. I've had hospital stay inducing panic attacks on flights when babies start to cry (it's a psychological thing that kids often do- everything is safe when the baby is asleep). Luckily the babies only tend to cry during landing. But if your child throws a fit midflight, it could easily mean the plane would have to land in flyover country to get me to a hospital. Obese passengers have nothing on that.

Trust me, I try to not fly whenever possible due to my phobia- however, I'm in Iceland now finishing up a 7 week program and it would take me about a month each way to get here sans flight (train to NYC, Queen Elizabeth 2 to England, train to Denmark, ferry to Faroe Islands, ferry to east coast of Iceland, bus to Reykjavik) so sometimes I have to fly. There are plenty of other people out there like me... so shut you kids up.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:04 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,601,582 times
Hubby just recently was on a biz trip and his only comment about the trip was about the rowdy kids on the plane. Now we have kids ourselves and have flown with them multiple times. While we understand that kids will be kids, what is the most annoying is NOT seeing the parents do anything about it. We as parents cut other parents a lot of slack, but when no obvious effort is made to control the out-of-control kids on a flight, that does chap my hide. He said the other people were uncomfortable about calling the mom's attention...they didn't have me on the flight. I would have at least mentioned it to the flight attendant.

I have not had an experience (yet) of sitting next to someone so overweight as to take 2 seats after paying for one. I think if I did, the passenger paid for 2. If I were the overweight passenger and could afford it, I'd probably just go ahead and pay for 2...I'd get less aggravation for it and everybody is comfortable during the flight.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:30 AM

2,294 posts, read 5,592,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
What would you consider the maximum weight limit per seat?
I think the airlines should charge everyone by weight, babies to elderly, then have seats that fit the weight. I'm 50 lbs overweight but I'd gladly get weighed in public if it meant a seat that fit me nicely. Now how you'd make a plane with customized seating, that sounds difficult...

Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 AM
rfb

1,889 posts, read 5,184,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I think the airlines should charge everyone by weight, babies to elderly, then have seats that fit the weight. I'm 50 lbs overweight but I'd gladly get weighed in public if it meant a seat that fit me nicely. Now how you'd make a plane with customized seating, that sounds difficult...
I can just picture check in: "I weigh what? No, that can't be right. Your scale must be broken." Instead of arriving 2hrs before your flight, you would need to get there 5hrs.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:01 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,678,277 times
As a Realtor I look at this scenario as an encroachment, or adverse possession issue. If you have purchased a property parcel there are no guarantees that your neighbors will not have loud parties, hang ugly curtains, or behave rudely. When it comes to a neighbor occupying your space, moving your fence, or parking their car on your land it's a different issue because your rights to possession has been infringed.

For an overseas flight I recently paid extra $$ at check-in for an additional 6" of leg room and found myself sitting next to a passenger who required an additional 6" of my side of the seat. I spent 11 hours uncomfortably wedged between this gentleman and the window. I thought is was inconsiderate on the part of the passenger as well as the airline and would welcome a policy that requires over sized passengers to pay for adequate space.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:57 AM

12,327 posts, read 18,433,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
So you're the one who keeps bruising my kneecaps . Seriously, I'm 6'5", and with the limited pitch in coach my knees are sometimes pushed up tight against the seat in front of me, right on the metal bar that is used to hold those magazines and the like. Every so often, I get someone in front of me who just keeps banking the seat back trying to recline farther than my knees can compress. And when I get to my destination or I get home, I've got bruised kneecaps.
This topic has strayed. So a note on the seat back debate. In couch, if you have someone in back of you, just don't do it. Don't recline your seat back, be considerate, I don't particularly want a strangers head in my lap and a bald spot and dandruf flakes staring at me. I attribute this to ignorance, most frequent flyers know better and the effect on a reclined seat to the person in back.

I do the same thing, if a person tries to recline a seat in front of me. I will hold my knees up and prevent it. If they insist, I will make that person in front of me flight miserable. I have all sorts of tricks, bump it right when they lift up that drink, cough and sneeze on their head along with a little spittle and snot coming out, stick my bare foot up between the armrest into there seat, etc.

Don't do it people - if you are in coach class don't recline your seat. I will go medieval on your @ss if you do.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:50 AM

8,240 posts, read 15,255,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Well then they should weigh everyone. We can all then be charged by weight, both our physical weight and our baggage weight. There should probably be an excise for being too tall too, because people that are too tall seem to take up a lot more space sitting down. Of course that's not going to work out very well for the poor sod in the wheelchair though is it? I mean those things can weigh quite a bit really. Of course it does mean that the average man will always have to pay more than the average woman, so I'm not sure that's particularly fair either really.

I'm more upset that they seem to have developed some kind of concern that my mascara could be used as a weapon.
Being tall isn't a choice. Being heavy is.
Of course people should be weighed before they get on a plane, I'll be the first one on a scale.
Again, most people don't have a choice about being in a wheelchair, or using oxygen or whatever.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
So you're the one who keeps bruising my kneecaps . Seriously, I'm 6'5", and with the limited pitch in coach my knees are sometimes pushed up tight against the seat in front of me, right on the metal bar that is used to hold those magazines and the like. Every so often, I get someone in front of me who just keeps banking the seat back trying to recline farther than my knees can compress. And when I get to my destination or I get home, I've got bruised kneecaps.

Mostly because of my height, I sympathize with the overweight passengers. They really don't want to invade your space, but they also don't want to buy (or can't afford) a business class or first class seat. Do I like sitting next to someone who takes up extra space? No. Can I show a little empathy and live with it for a few hours? Absolutely.
Nah, I only lean back as far as I'm supposed to....mostly because the one in front of me is now in MY lap!
Again, being tall has lots of advantages....the only disadvantage is being on a plane! I'd gladly be 5'8" every day in exchange for being squeezed in a plane for a few hours!
It's not about empathy for overweight passengers, it's a question of $$$

Old 07-30-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
This topic has strayed. So a note on the seat back debate. In couch, if you have someone in back of you, just don't do it. Don't recline your seat back, be considerate, I don't particularly want a strangers head in my lap and a bald spot and dandruf flakes staring at me. I attribute this to ignorance, most frequent flyers know better and the effect on a reclined seat to the person in back.

I do the same thing, if a person tries to recline a seat in front of me. I will hold my knees up and prevent it. If they insist, I will make that person in front of me flight miserable. I have all sorts of tricks, bump it right when they lift up that drink, cough and sneeze on their head along with a little spittle and snot coming out, stick my bare foot up between the armrest into there seat, etc.

Don't do it people - if you are in coach class don't recline your seat. I will go medieval on your @ss if you do.
Oh, I have tricks too. Like pointing my airvent right back at you, on high. Or the light.
Please. If you weren't supposed to lean back, why do the seats lean back?
PS, I carry knitting needles. It's ok with Homeland Security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or