U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 01:56 PM

4,899 posts, read 16,618,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
To those of you who claim you don't want your babies to cry either- you better hope you don't have someone like me on the plane. I've had hospital stay inducing panic attacks on flights when babies start to cry (it's a psychological thing that kids often do- everything is safe when the baby is asleep). Luckily the babies only tend to cry during landing. But if your child throws a fit midflight, it could easily mean the plane would have to land in flyover country to get me to a hospital. Obese passengers have nothing on that.

Trust me, I try to not fly whenever possible due to my phobia- however, I'm in Iceland now finishing up a 7 week program and it would take me about a month each way to get here sans flight (train to NYC, Queen Elizabeth 2 to England, train to Denmark, ferry to Faroe Islands, ferry to east coast of Iceland, bus to Reykjavik) so sometimes I have to fly. There are plenty of other people out there like me... so shut you kids up.

if the baby is crying only during landing, it's because their ears hurt from the pressur. if they are crying druing the flight, you can usually quiet them with a bottle. but some babies just cry--and we cant "shut them up"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 02:47 PM

12,264 posts, read 18,393,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Oh, I have tricks too. Like pointing my airvent right back at you, on high. Or the light.
Please. If you weren't supposed to lean back, why do the seats lean back?
PS, I carry knitting needles. It's ok with Homeland Security.
I haven't mentioned my ability for at-will flatulence. That usually results in not only the reclining seat in front of me to straighten up, but also for the occupant to outright abandon his seat. Knitting needles are no contest.

I think the reclining seat back feature is some relic from the 50's and 60's when planes were only partially occupied and airlines actually configured space between the seats on there jets.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:53 PM

3,758 posts, read 7,667,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I haven't mentioned my ability for at-will flatulence. That usually results in not only the reclining seat in front of me to straighten up, but also for the occupant to outright abandon his seat. Knitting needles are no contest.
You're a hoot! lol

Old 07-30-2008, 02:58 PM

3,088 posts, read 7,781,703 times
Yeah for first class and private jets!

Old 07-30-2008, 03:36 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,245,485 times
Quote:

I think the reclining seat back feature is some relic from the 50's and 60's when planes were only partially occupied and airlines actually configured space between the seats on there jets.
Some seats recline TOO FAR back. I had the pleasure of being on 4 different planes last week and the last one the seats reclined WAY BACK! They made it impossible for one to get up and out of their seat. I had to get up to use the bathroom and had to hang on tight to the seats in front of me because they had them reclined all the way back. I would have had much better luck literally climbing over every seat to get to the aisle. There was NO WAY ANYONE could get out of their seat w/ them reclined. I hardly EVER recline mine back and when I do only as much as I need to and that is on LATE night flights when most are sleeping anyway.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:37 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,468,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Being tall isn't a choice. Being heavy is.
Of course people should be weighed before they get on a plane, I'll be the first one on a scale.
Again, most people don't have a choice about being in a wheelchair, or using oxygen or whatever.

Clearly you've missed my sense of humour but if you wanna talk about choices then sure lets keep going with it then. Tall people know they're tall before they get on the plane, why should I be subject to being squished in my seat just because a tall person doesn't think ahead to my comfort? Or why should I be subject to someone elses screaming baby or unruly child just because people refuse to tie up and gag their kids as soon as they get on board? I mean it's obvious that the fat person CHOSE to get up this morning gain an extra 80lbs overnight and deliberately asked to be sat next to you just to be annoying.

You can't tell anything about a person and their "choices" by how they look but you sure can tell a lot about people's attitudes to others by the assumptions they make. If you wanna get right down to it and make assumptions about people then why make allowances for the person in the wheelchair? For all you know they could be in the wheelchair because they had an accident drunk driving and killed someone else while they were doing it. The person requiring oxygen may very well have been a 3 pack a day smoker all their life. The fat person could be on all kinds of medications that have played havoc with their metabolism and they could quite possibly eat less in a day than you do. Yeah, it's all about choices. I choose not to assume anything about my fellow passengers based on how they "appear" to be, but then I choose not to assume anything about people and their "choices" based on appearances in every day life.

But yeah, if you wanna add weighing every passenger at check in to the long list of hoops we already have jump through just to get on the plane sure, why not? I'll get to the airport the day before my flight just so I can be weighed and my ticket price adjusted accordingly and then a calculation made as to whether or not I should also be allowed to take as much luggage as the person who's gonna sit next to me.
And of course they'll have to check carefully through the passenger manifest to make sure they don't sit the religious person next to the athiest, the vegetarian next to the meat eater, the ethnic person next to the racist, the woman next to the sexist, the man next to the feminist. List would go on and on and on and on and then some. The plane would NEVER take off.

Given that we are all just trying to get somewhere for whatever reason and we all know that, unless you can afford first class, it's going to be squishy in "sardine class" no matter who you're sitting with, I reckon you've just gotta suck it up, use your manners and get through the flight as best you can. It's really not that difficult. I don't understand why people can't just accept that it's a microcosm of society in a confined space and we're all going to experience some level of discomfort whilst flying. It's the nature of the beast. Blaming others for that discomfort seems just a tad inconsiderate to me.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:58 PM

1,854 posts, read 8,739,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Some seats recline TOO FAR back. I had the pleasure of being on 4 different planes last week and the last one the seats reclined WAY BACK! They made it impossible for one to get up and out of their seat. I had to get up to use the bathroom and had to hang on tight to the seats in front of me because they had them reclined all the way back. I would have had much better luck literally climbing over every seat to get to the aisle. There was NO WAY ANYONE could get out of their seat w/ them reclined. I hardly EVER recline mine back and when I do only as much as I need to and that is on LATE night flights when most are sleeping anyway.
I can shed some light on that. All seats have restrictors that limit the amount of recline. Unfortunately, employees that are traveling non-rev know how to very quickly remove those restrictors. On some occasions, we have slow nights that give us a chance to sit and relax for an hour or so. That is also when the restrictors get removed. We are pretty good at putting them back in, but once in a while some idiot will forget to reinstall them.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:17 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,244,224 times
Quote:

Then they should just take them out, or put a pin in it or something.
Oh, by the way, I hope you like my perfume. It's Charlie (you know, from the '70s??) and I carry a little spritzer thing in my purse, less than 3 oz, of course

Old 07-30-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Clearly you've missed my sense of humour but if you wanna talk about choices then sure lets keep going with it then. Tall people know they're tall before they get on the plane, why should I be subject to being squished in my seat just because a tall person doesn't think ahead to my comfort? Or why should I be subject to someone elses screaming baby or unruly child just because people refuse to tie up and gag their kids as soon as they get on board? I mean it's obvious that the fat person CHOSE to get up this morning gain an extra 80lbs overnight and deliberately asked to be sat next to you just to be annoying.

You can't tell anything about a person and their "choices" by how they look but you sure can tell a lot about people's attitudes to others by the assumptions they make. If you wanna get right down to it and make assumptions about people then why make allowances for the person in the wheelchair? For all you know they could be in the wheelchair because they had an accident drunk driving and killed someone else while they were doing it. The person requiring oxygen may very well have been a 3 pack a day smoker all their life. The fat person could be on all kinds of medications that have played havoc with their metabolism and they could quite possibly eat less in a day than you do. Yeah, it's all about choices. I choose not to assume anything about my fellow passengers based on how they "appear" to be, but then I choose not to assume anything about people and their "choices" based on appearances in every day life.

But yeah, if you wanna add weighing every passenger at check in to the long list of hoops we already have jump through just to get on the plane sure, why not? I'll get to the airport the day before my flight just so I can be weighed and my ticket price adjusted accordingly and then a calculation made as to whether or not I should also be allowed to take as much luggage as the person who's gonna sit next to me.
And of course they'll have to check carefully through the passenger manifest to make sure they don't sit the religious person next to the athiest, the vegetarian next to the meat eater, the ethnic person next to the racist, the woman next to the sexist, the man next to the feminist. List would go on and on and on and on and then some. The plane would NEVER take off.

Given that we are all just trying to get somewhere for whatever reason and we all know that, unless you can afford first class, it's going to be squishy in "sardine class" no matter who you're sitting with, I reckon you've just gotta suck it up, use your manners and get through the flight as best you can. It's really not that difficult. I don't understand why people can't just accept that it's a microcosm of society in a confined space and we're all going to experience some level of discomfort whilst flying. It's the nature of the beast. Blaming others for that discomfort seems just a tad inconsiderate to me.
It's just not that big a deal. You pay by the pound. That's all. Your big, you pay more. You're not, you pay less. That's a microcosm of society. You drive a hummer you pay more, you drive a prius you pay less. Why all the passion?
As for fat being a choice, it is. It's not witchcraft, it's science. Calories taken in > calories used = weight gain.
All those other silly scenarios about atheists, vegetatrians and so on....well that's just not germane.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
I can shed some light on that. All seats have restrictors that limit the amount of recline. Unfortunately, employees that are traveling non-rev know how to very quickly remove those restrictors. On some occasions, we have slow nights that give us a chance to sit and relax for an hour or so. That is also when the restrictors get removed. We are pretty good at putting them back in, but once in a while some idiot will forget to reinstall them.
HA! That's a good perk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or