U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 06:33 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,470,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
It's just not that big a deal. You pay by the pound. That's all. Your big, you pay more. You're not, you pay less. That's a microcosm of society. You drive a hummer you pay more, you drive a prius you pay less. Why all the passion?
As for fat being a choice, it is. It's not witchcraft, it's science. Calories taken in > calories used = weight gain.
All those other silly scenarios about atheists, vegetatrians and so on....well that's just not germane.
Seriously you clearly don't get me or my humour. Whatever. I'll leave you with your assumptions about life the universe and everybody in it. Have a great day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 06:56 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,469,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
You haven't lived until you've flown 16-17 hours from Houston to Tokyo in the middle seat of the middle row surrounded on either side by two enormously fat people on a packed airplane. You want to talk about fun? Ladies and gentleman, I'd rather run through the streets of Baghdad with a target on my back before I experience that hellish nightmare again.
Ohhhhhh this reminds me of my worst flight, some of which was my own fault that I was so uncomfortable. I was flying from Washington DC to the Kingdom of Tonga in the south pacific. I stopped overnight in Honolulu and the next morning (since my flight didn't leave until early evening,) I spent the morning at Hanuama Beach. I got to the airport in plenty of time and they told me when I checked in that they had overbooked, so they were putting me in first class. I was delighted.

Right when I went to get on the plane, they called my name at the gate and apparently, a spot had opened up in coach, so that's where I'd be sitting. I was so mad!!!! Of course that seat was a middle seat. I ended up between two very large Samoan men who were so large, the seat rests had to be up on BOTH sides squishing me in the middle. The real problem, though, was that I was horribly sunburned on my back (from not applying sunblock to my back and since I was traveling alone, I was too shy to ask for help,) and being squinched from these two huge guys on either side of me made it MUCH worse. It was many hours of total discomfort. We stopped in American Samoa and I prayed that these guys would deplane. No such luck.

Not sure I'd rather run through Baghdad with a target on my back, but it was pretty awful.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:05 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,245,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Seriously you clearly don't get me or my humour. Whatever. I'll leave you with your assumptions about life the universe and everybody in it. Have a great day.
Shrug.
Different strokes and all that.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:30 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,475,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Coming in to work this morning I listened to a talk show on the radio and one of the hosts was talking about a flight his wife was on. She was sitting in a window seat and the passenger beside her was a 350 lb. man (who was also super tall) who could not sit without the armrest being lifted. This issue has been discussed periodically, especially since Southwest Airlines has said they will enforce their mandate to pay for two seats if the armrest can't be left down. The analogy the radio host used was that if you went to a cafeteria and bought a meal and the person in line behind you followed you to your table and helped himself to half of your meal with no offer of compensation. Much discussion of this issue has centered around the rights of the obese to not suffer discrimination (although they are not a legally protected class) but until I thought about the "food stealing" I hadn't really thought of the situation in that light. If I pay for my 18.75" of space and you steal some of my inches, I have a right to complain and be accomodated. Groups of overweight people protest that the airlines are to blame for not "super-sizing" their seats but given the cost of jet fuel these days, the airlines are all suffering for the cost of a flight and it is unreasonable to think they should/could increase the seat sizes and lose even more revenue. Who has the more important rights in this situation?
The solution is to make fat people pay extra for the purposes of using more space and requiring more jet fuel (1.5 times the cost). Maybe have a designated section with larger seats (AKA Bariatic Seating Section).

It is a growing population to accomodate for folks with this type of health issue.

Bariatric Equipment, Bariatric Furniture, Bariatric Equipment, Enclosed Beds, Bed Enclosures, Restraint Alternatives

Old 07-30-2008, 07:50 PM

28,237 posts, read 39,879,137 times
Quote:
Then they should just take them out, or put a pin in it or something.
Oh, by the way, I hope you like my perfume. It's Charlie (you know, from the '70s??) and I carry a little spritzer thing in my purse, less than 3 oz, of course
You spray that on me and I'll scream "Bio weapon, terrorist!" so fast and so loud you won't know what happened until your butt bounces on the jail cell metal bench.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 07-30-2008 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: Forgot the cute little icon guy.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:50 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,245,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You spray that on me and I'll scream "Bio weapon, terrorist!" so fast and so loud you won't know what happened until your butt bounces on the jail cell metal bench.
Oh, I won't spray it on you. I'll spray it on ME! I just looooove the stuff, and I bet you will, too. Best just move your knees.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:56 PM

6,262 posts, read 17,359,111 times
but you will wait until you are off the plane before spraying yourself-right?
No ome,especially those allergic to perfumes want to be in a closed cabin with perfumes.

Quote:
Oh, I won't spray it on you. I'll spray it on ME! I just looooove the stuff, and I bet you will, too. Best just move your knees.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:48 AM
rfb

1,889 posts, read 5,179,433 times
Quote:
But to do that, I'd have to lift the armrest and encroach on the space of the person sitting next to me . And we all know from this thread that I can't do that .

Old 07-31-2008, 06:20 AM

876 posts, read 1,450,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
To those of you who claim you don't want your babies to cry either- you better hope you don't have someone like me on the plane. I've had hospital stay inducing panic attacks on flights when babies start to cry (it's a psychological thing that kids often do- everything is safe when the baby is asleep). Luckily the babies only tend to cry during landing. But if your child throws a fit midflight, it could easily mean the plane would have to land in flyover country to get me to a hospital. Obese passengers have nothing on that.

Trust me, I try to not fly whenever possible due to my phobia- however, I'm in Iceland now finishing up a 7 week program and it would take me about a month each way to get here sans flight (train to NYC, Queen Elizabeth 2 to England, train to Denmark, ferry to Faroe Islands, ferry to east coast of Iceland, bus to Reykjavik) so sometimes I have to fly. There are plenty of other people out there like me... so shut you kids up.
it is not easy to shut kids up if they do not want to shut up. maybe you should get over your weird phobia. afterall, you are the grownup aren't you?

Old 07-31-2008, 07:56 AM

32,371 posts, read 59,807,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
There are rude people of ALL sizes, shapes, etc. They don't all have to be obese to take up the space beside them that someone else is sitting in.
True, dat. The folks who use both armrests, the guys who spread their legs so wide they're infringing on people on both sides, the folks in front of you who recline so far back they're in your lap, the kid behind you who climbs over the back of your seat.

Let's surcharge 'em all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I'm more upset that they seem to have developed some kind of concern that my mascara could be used as a weapon.
LOL. That puts this argument in perspective. Why worry about personal space when your personal liberties are being infringed upon?

But just one ill-timed air pocket while you're trying to apply that mascara ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or