U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 12:05 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,303,081 times

Advertisements

I recline in my seat. Sorry! I don't do it all the way, but I can't STAND to sit straight up and down and 100% of the time the person in front of me is in my lap as well (BTW, I usually do a check to make the person behind me isn't 6'6" or anything). Regarding paying extra, I think if you are infringing on my seat space, than that's when I have a problem. I am paying for my seat and I don't need you laying on me (that being said, last week I had a football player next to me and I kinda felt bad for him with his broad shoulders, but on the other hand, I didn't enjoy the fact that he basically rested on me the whole trip!!). I always book the aisle seat so I have a bit of flexiability. All of this being said, if we want more leg room, don't want the people in front of us to lean back, etc, then we should probably book first class!
As for crying children, there really isn't much parents can do (except with the 11 and 12 year old I sat next to last time who hit eachother the whole way and kept rocking my seat!!). But, we can buy noise cancelling head phones! No babies crying, and you can ignore that drunken neighbor!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 01:19 PM

8,668 posts, read 20,314,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i think this is so sad. this country has no problem overcharging for produce, and for supersizing every meal, for filling our foods with so many preservatives, and making half of the population obese. food that is bad for you costs less than food that is good for you! and yes some people eat themselves into oblivion--usually due to emotional reasons.
have a heart. no one wants to be obese!!! and i can imagine how terrible that poor guy felt when he realized he had to sit in a seat and could not put the armrest down around him. and if he is an emotional eater, i am betting he got off that plane and made himself feel better with some more food.

i dont know the answer to whether or not obese people should be charged more. i just feel like we need to remember that these passengers are not just a passenger, not just a number, but a person with feelings.
I don't know the answer to this either, but this is a very kind response.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:54 PM

39 posts, read 180,822 times
Last summer I was on a flight and there was a very obese lady on an aisle seat and the fight was full and the 2 people beside her where pretty much be squashed up against the wall. I felt bad for the couple who had to endure that for the 3 hour leg of the flight. Nothing against obese people but if your that big, paying for another seat makes perfect sense, unless the fligh has empty seats left and you can change seating. I don't see the point of charging for extra seat if the plane is not full.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:42 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,574,086 times
I love fat people and a lot of the people I love are fat but just because they are fat doesn't mean that they have a right to part of my seat. Frankly my ass is already using my 18" of space so there is little left over to share. So where is the extra girth going to go? On my lap?

"you fish on your side, I fish on my side, noone fishes in the middle"

If the person is that large they need to buy a business class seat. I am sorry, but they are paying for "A seat" not "A seat and a portion-of-the-seat-next-to-them"

A tall person doesn't have the right to spread their long legs into my leg space, do they?

Yikes, sensitive subject!

Old 08-18-2008, 10:48 PM

55,647 posts, read 74,595,623 times
i wont say obese but recently i had a blond who leaned her chair all the way and had her hair in my face while a kid behind me kicked and tackled my chair every 2 minutes. i asked to be moved. got a wonderful seat.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:56 AM

10,791 posts, read 7,686,525 times
The airline companies should take some of the responsibility for making all passengers comfortable where possible. If someone very large checks in and there's a few empty seats, shuffle things around and place them next to an empty seat, or their neighbour in another seat. Why make the passenger next to the large person suffer in silence or put the onus on them to ask to be moved? Some of us feel bad asking to be moved because it's obvious why, and we don't like to embarrass the other, large, person.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:11 PM

32,366 posts, read 59,807,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
The solution is to make fat people pay extra for the purposes of using more space and requiring more jet fuel (1.5 times the cost).
But where do you draw the line?

Do you treat equally the 6'6" man who weighs 250 and a 5'4" woman who weighs 250? The first is likely not overweight, the second likely is, yet if fuel consumption figures pound-for-pound, they create the same drag on the system (and he more than likely takes up more room).

Do you calculate by BMI and give a pass to the guy who's all muscle but not to the guy who's all fat even though the overweight man may weigh less?

Do you measure by hip circumference, where a pregnant woman who's still able to fly would have a larger girth yet not necessarily take up any more linear space than she did when she wasn't pregnant?

How do you determine who should pay more and who shouldn't?

Old 08-19-2008, 09:42 PM

6,239 posts, read 15,442,099 times
This a matter of personal space, in my opinion. If I've paid for my small square footage of airplane, then that space is mine for however many hours I'm impriso-- er, flying. I wouldn't be happy to sit next to someone overflowing into my seat, and even though I probably wouldn't say anything, I'd be stewing and annoyed the entire flight.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:11 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,901,398 times
Now days it really seems that evry flight I take has some one that is a loud mouth or has misbehaving children. I can put up with the occasional obeast person.Same problemn in many restaruants and most public places now days.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:40 AM

10,791 posts, read 7,686,525 times
How do you determine who should pay more and who shouldn't?

As you've pointed out, Ohiogirl, going by weight may not be fair or feasible. My problem with sitting next to a very large person, is not how much they weigh, coz afterall, they're not sitting on my lap. It's how 'wide' they are and how much of my seat they're taking over.

On a London to NYC flight, after about 30 minutes, I could not feel my left arm anymore because my very wide neighbour's right arm was squashing it. I was already moved over as far to the right as I could, to the point where the right armrest was hurting my right side. On top of that, his left arm was also pressing against my left boob. I'm not comfortable about strangers getting that up close and personal with my boobs, sorry.

So I discretely gestured to the flight attendant, who should have noticed this, that I needed to move. I just think this should be taken care of beforehand, if possible, but from my own experience and that of others, they don't seem to care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or