U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2008, 10:17 AM

103 posts, read 455,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
This thread seems to have drifted to the general topic of irritating passengers in general but the reality is that except for the issue of a too-large passenger overflowing into an adjoining seat, the other "problem" fliers are not infringing on the actual physical space that purchasing a ticket should guarantee you. The purchase of a ticket makes you no promise other than guaranteeing you some actual real estate on the plane but if the man or woman next to you takes his or her space plus a third of yours, that is where the problem lies. There are never any promises made that you will have only sweet-smelling, delightfully charming and quiet seatmates so every flight is a crapshoot. But if I buy a seat on the flight I shouldn't have to give up a portion of that to someone else.
I agree that a ticket purchase=real estate on the plane=personal space. When "spillage" occurs (a fellow passenger flowing over in some form or fashion into my personal space) I find this incredibly irritating and uncomfortable. It's one thing to decide I don't need my armrest and allow the other passenger to have it; it's another thing entirely to have that option taken away from me because the other passenger basically lands on it.
The same applies to both long-legged men as well as men who feel it necessary to sit with their legs splayed as much as possible. Every inch of real estate under the seat in front of you belongs to YOU. The space under the seat in front of me belongs to ME.
Granted, one should probably consider the embarrassment an obese person must undoubtedly feel as they ask for a seatbelt extender, or as they sense from their seatmates the resentment of having their space invaded...but they knew this going in, right?
The point is that everyone wants to be comfortable on the plane, especially if it's a long flight. Be as comfortable as you want or need to be, as long as it does not result in the DIScomfort of anyone else. If this means buying two tickets, then that would be my suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 10:26 AM

10,550 posts, read 12,741,220 times
The only option is for the airlines to make seats larger in general. (I think they are uncomfortable for the *average* sized person. The person doesn't even need to be especially tall or overweight.)

But that means...oh wait...fewer seats. And everyone would have to pay more for their seat.

Either everyone pays more. Or you live with it and be quiet.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:32 AM

On my last flight I saw a couple sitting together and the father was holding the baby. The attendant noticed this and asked the single man in the window seat if he would like to move to the empty seat in front so the couple could use all 3 seats and put the child between them. They all agreed.

Maybe the airlines could ask the passengers their weight during reservations. Then, they seat the overweight passenger on the aisle seat. And there is an option to lower the aisle-side armrest so the overweight person can spread out into the aisle if needed.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:01 AM

I would like to point out the cost difference between standard (coach/economy) and others.

Business - Cost = 3x coach.
1st class - Cost = 4x coach.

There's got to be some economic alternative for people who are overweight.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:04 AM

444 posts, read 942,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
SOOO true!
I have toddler twins. It's so funny the way people look at us when they are acting up in public. Just yesterday I was in a store and the kids were not screaming, but being a little loud. This lady shot me a very nasty look. I looked at my friend and said loud enough for the woman to hear "I love it when people give me a nasty look when my kids are acting up. Do they think I like my kids being loud? And this is a public place and if they want peace and quiet when they shop they should go to someplace where they book appointments!" The lady kindly walked away.
I have yet to take mine on a plane...I myself can't deal with the crying they can do at times so I really don't want to experience that on a plane. BUT I will take them one day and I just pray the people on the plane are sympathetic if they act up. I do my best to keep them at bay, but sometimes kids will just be kids!
I don't think people have a problem with the kids acting up if the parents tell them to calm down if they are in fact causing a scene or are being very disruptive. Some parents jus sit there and let there kids scream and cry kick the back of you seat. I had one kid practically climb over his seat to mine and pull my hair. The parents didn't apologize or say anything to the kid. That is when I get annoyed. Kids are kids they are going to act up at times and be loud people have to and should at least try to understand that. Sometime things like mike my story just get out of hand that was just unacceptable.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:24 AM

103 posts, read 455,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I would like to point out the cost difference between standard (coach/economy) and others.

Business - Cost = 3x coach.
1st class - Cost = 4x coach.

There's got to be some economic alternative for people who are overweight.
How about a gym membership?

I don't mean that to be rude, but in terms of available airplane space there is no way to provide an economic alternative for the obese passenger that doesn't pass the cost on instead to the airline or other passengers. Either way, it's making it someone else's problem. That doesn't work.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:20 PM

6,745 posts, read 8,294,696 times
I am a "big guy" and I feel absolutely terrible for anybody that has to sit next to me on a flight. I get so nervous thinking about the poor people that have to sit next to me, the anxiety makes me sick. I can fit in my seat with the armrest down, but it is a very tight squeeze. I just suck it up and (an in) and suffer with my arms crossed, as to give my neighbor as much room as possible. I figure that I am the one intruding in their space, so there is no way in heck that I'm going to take the armrest. Part of the problem is that people are in denial about how fat they really are.

But if needed two seats, I should should be charged for two seats.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:01 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,233,410 times
Oh, I finally have to chime in, in my unique way...

1) Overweight people: They should have a chart that basically says, "If you are this tall and/or this wide, you must pay extra" in the airports, with the chart being adapted to the fact that as Americans, we typically are taller and fatter than many other people in the world. Each plane should have a certain number of extra wide seats in coach that would cost more and also handle the larger passengers.

2) Crying children: Children should be allowed to cry for a maximum of 10 minutes straight. Upon reaching that limit they are given one warning and a $50 fine is charged to the parent's credit card. If the children exceed 45 minutes of misbehavior, they will spend the rest of the flight on medication, in a special area set up in the cargo hold, which will be soundproofed and have a heater. Children who throw physical fits or assault passengers (pulling hair, leaning over seats to drool, etc), will be placed in restraints in the cargo hold, outside of the heated area so the temperature will slow down their metabolism and calm them down.

3) People who smell: People who have offensive body odors will not be allowed on the plane - period. Each airport should have a shower/clothes waching facility and those people will be directed to use those facilities before they are allowed on the plane.

4) Teens playing Rap/Hip Hop on iPods: The iPods will be ejected through the toilet. Parents fined $5,000 for allowing their teens to listen to Rap and Hip Hop.

5) Old people who won't shut up: Elderly fliers who begin to tell life stories to passengers next to them will spend the flight in the cargo area with the children and receive a $25 credit for being a story teller for the medicated kids to keep them busy during the flight.

I'm sure I'm missing someone, but that about covers the most common basic groups. Handle it my way, and there would be lots of happy fliers.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:20 PM

5,188 posts, read 13,357,860 times
I just want to know what planes have seats that recline more than 2 inches???? I've never been on one of those!!!

Old 08-20-2008, 07:31 PM

2,501 posts, read 6,892,303 times
That's what I was wondering....all the flights I travel on have seats that only recline a few inches, which is hardly noticable at all - not worth the effort!
As for crying, annoying children - that's what headphones are for! Actually, I have only been on 1 flight in all my years where there was a baby that cried incessantly for almost 6 hours! I felt sorry for the mom and many of us offerred to hold the baby to give her a break. It took my a full day to get rid of my headache, but even though it was an irritant (the crying), I wasn't rude to the mom about it since she was doing everything she could to calm the baby down. I guess I've been lucky....haven't had smelly, obese, or rude people near me on flights. Now, I've probably just jinxed myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or