U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 03:34 PM

70 posts, read 227,211 times

Advertisements

Thanks Mkal! I will definitely have to do a Southeast Asia trip and work in Kerala.

K350: I've heard that about Agra before, that you go there just for the Taj. Have you ever been to Dharamsala? I was thinking of taking 2 days to run up there and see where the Dalai Lama lives. But in late Nov/early Dec I fear the weather will be bad and make it not worth it.

India is too large and has too much to offer!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 11:26 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,512,042 times
Art, I wish you joy and delight! I have three thoughts:

You may never do this again, so the Taj is a breathtaking must.

You may never do this again, and Dharamsala is alive with the energies of the Dalai Lama's life and intentions, and I would go there, stand, gaze and breathe. If he's "receiving", you get to be with him and bathe in that enriching, radiant grin. If you can be in the Dalai Lama's presence, chances are excellent that your life will become lighter and sweeter.

Are you aware of TripAdvisor dot com? Real reports from real travelers about their experiences everywhere. This will open upon I N D I A --
India Tourism - India Vacation Reviews - India Vacations - TripAdvisor
You can use the top left Search bar for specific places.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Art, I wish you joy and delight! I have three thoughts:

You may never do this again, so the Taj is a breathtaking must.

You may never do this again, and Dharamsala is alive with the energies of the Dalai Lama's life and intentions, and I would go there, stand, gaze and breathe. If he's "receiving", you get to be with him and bathe in that enriching, radiant grin. If you can be in the Dalai Lama's presence, chances are excellent that your life will become lighter and sweeter.

Are you aware of TripAdvisor dot com? Real reports from real travelers about their experiences everywhere. This will open upon I N D I A --
India Tourism - India Vacation Reviews - India Vacations - TripAdvisor
You can use the top left Search bar for specific places.
Hi Allforcats! Thank you. I have been using TripAdvisor, and it's going to be my best friend when I have to start picking accommodations. Thanks!! More people need to know about it for sure.

Your thoughts on Dharamsala are really helpful. Do you think late November/early December is anokay time to go up there. A lot of people online write about the serenity, the views, the treks, and the atmosphere of seeing monks and Buddhist nuns walking around. But when I would be there is around Nov 28 - Dec 1, and I'm not sure how the weather will alter my experience.

Thanks again!

Old 08-07-2008, 10:42 AM

353 posts, read 1,015,407 times
Art... not sure if your flying Delta or not, but if you are make note that DL16 (ATL-JFK-BOM) and DL17 (BOM-JFK-ATL)the flights servicing Mumbai are changing on Nov 1st.

They will now be DL184 and DL185. They will cut out JFK completely and be non-stop ATL-BOM and BOM-ATL.

Just FYI.....

Old 08-07-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1v3rRat View Post
Art... not sure if your flying Delta or not, but if you are make note that DL16 (ATL-JFK-BOM) and DL17 (BOM-JFK-ATL)the flights servicing Mumbai are changing on Nov 1st.

They will now be DL184 and DL185. They will cut out JFK completely and be non-stop ATL-BOM and BOM-ATL.

Just FYI.....

Thanks! Wow, that's a big change. I will probably have to fly out of Newark. But to Delhi. I'm thinking of getting rid of Mumbai on my itinerary. Who knows when I'll be back to India, but I have such limited time. I have a new itinerary now:

Hyderabad to Delhi
Delhi to Agra
Agra to one of the Rajastahn areas in the desert b/c I really want to do a Camel ride in the desert!!
Then back to Delhi to catch the night train to Dharamsala
Spend 4 days in Dharamsala then back to Delhi for a night
Delhi to NYC

Do you go to India often?

Old 08-09-2008, 09:58 AM

Monthly for work...leaving tommorrow as a matter of fact...

Old 08-09-2008, 10:01 AM

There are a number of options from newark, but most come with connections in Europe..... ie KLM, Air France etc.....

Continental has the only non-stop EWR-DEL flight avail I believe..

RR

Old 08-10-2008, 03:44 PM

7,079 posts, read 34,526,268 times
Get your oral typhoid vaccine.

Rules of food: if you can't peel it, cook it or watch it get opened in front of you, don't put it in your mouth. EVER. Use bottled water to brush your teeth no matter what the hotel tells you about the water. NO ice cubes! NO ice cream, NO milk/cream/butter. Drink the tea - no milk!

I spent two weeks in India and didn't get ill. But you have to remember the rules.

NEVER, EVER give money to the begging children or you will be besieged by beggars of all ages. If you want to give money, give it to an organized charity. This is going to be tough, because you've never seen poverty like the poverty in India.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Get your oral typhoid vaccine.

Rules of food: if you can't peel it, cook it or watch it get opened in front of you, don't put it in your mouth. EVER. Use bottled water to brush your teeth no matter what the hotel tells you about the water. NO ice cubes! NO ice cream, NO milk/cream/butter. Drink the tea - no milk!

I spent two weeks in India and didn't get ill. But you have to remember the rules.

NEVER, EVER give money to the begging children or you will be besieged by beggars of all ages. If you want to give money, give it to an organized charity. This is going to be tough, because you've never seen poverty like the poverty in India.
Thanks for the heads up! I'd prefer not to get sick and plan on bringing some prescriptions with me to defer anything I might catch.

Where did you go in India?

Old 08-12-2008, 03:45 PM

5 posts, read 14,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinUS View Post
Hi DDevil:

I've spoken to another person who agrees that Taj Mahal is worth going to and so is the desert area. But that means skipping out the Kerala backwaters. I think I need to focus on North or South, given time and money restraints, huh?

My new Itinerary is looking like:

- Hyderabad to New Delhi
- New Delhi to Agra
- Agra to Jaipur
- Jaipur to Rajastahn
- Rajastahn to Mumbai

Does that seem exciting and resonable? It skips out all of the beaches and south but I think that would be okay if I want to experience a lot of culture.

Would I fly from Hyderabd to New Delhi and then train it the rest of the way?

You guys are really great with your advice and helpful. Thank you!
ArtinUS,

You have good tourist places in all North, South, East and west part of India. Rajsthan, Kerala, Goa, Northeast states like Sikkim all are very beautiful places. My personal favourite is Uttrakhand, himanchal and Kashmir area as I like mountains.

If you want to focus on Delhi-Agra-Rajasthan area then I'll highly recommend taking Palace on wheel train.

http://www.indianrail.gov.in/palaceonwheel.html

In 1 week tour you will be able to complete all major attractions in a luxury train.

DELHI / JAIPUR / CHITTAURGARH / UDAIPUR / SWAIMADHOPUR / JAISALMER / JODHPUR / BHARATPUR / AGRA

If budget is a problem then I would recommend Fly to delhi from hyderabad. In delhi you can cover redfort, qutubminar, indiagate, lotus temple etc. There is a new swaminarayan temple in delhi. I have heard it's very good but I have not yet visited. From Delhi you can take a taxi for 1 day trip to Agra. you can cover Taj Mahal, Sikandara, red fort and Fatehpur Sikiri in this trip. Then you can move to jaipur and other places of rajasthan. you have so many places in rajasthan. I wouldn't want to miss CHITTAURGARH /UDAIPUR /JAISALMER and JODHPUR. Mumbai will be the nearest airport to return back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or