U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 02:33 PM

5 posts, read 12,947 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to drive down the coast along highway 1 north of SF, but we have no idea what to do, how to do? we are big on scenic beauty and would like to unwind in a quaint little place.
also if compared is the south coast(big sur, Cambria) better than the drive to eureka,mondecino etc. We just got married so i want this to be like a romantic long weekend and since my huisbands already been to the south coast i thought this would be better. open to thoughts otherwise. Any ideas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 02:57 PM

1,870 posts, read 3,448,925 times
This is typical of the coast:

We like the stretch between Cambria and Carmel, nothing much but scenery. Fog can put a damper on views, but that depends on your luck. We have stayed at Ragged Point, nice views, middle of nowhere.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:04 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,366,605 times
The coast highway, Hwy 1, north of San Francisco ends in Fort Bragg, half way through Mendocino county, about 100 or 120 miles north of SF. North of Ft. Bragg there is no more road on the coastline, you have to veer back inland to pick up Hwy 101 up to Eureka and Crescent City. From there you can access the coast highway again in Oregon.

That's why the stretch of the Pacific Coast Highway between Santa Barbara and San Francisco is so popular, it's the longest continuous coast road in California.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:28 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,646,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandita Nair View Post
My husband and I want to drive down the coast along highway 1 north of SF, but we have no idea what to do, how to do? we are big on scenic beauty and would like to unwind in a quaint little place.
also if compared is the south coast(big sur, Cambria) better than the drive to eureka,mondecino etc. We just got married so i want this to be like a romantic long weekend and since my huisbands already been to the south coast i thought this would be better. open to thoughts otherwise. Any ideas???
I grew up in Cambria and currently live in Santa Barbara. If you have questions about specifics in either area please feel free to send me a DM or ask away here.

Cambria is very quiet and can be very romantic. That said, you won't go wrong with either direction.

Jill

Old 07-30-2008, 05:01 PM

5 posts, read 12,947 times
hey thanks everybody.appreciate it.
so what we've decided now is to drive through mendocino, check out point reyes then drive towards eureka and spend 2 nights there. exploring the redwoods, trindad village basically the humboldt county and get back to sf. is this a good route to follow. What is the night life like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel