U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 06:52 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,282,447 times

Advertisements

I'm a bit older and remember when we got wonderful full meals on an airplane. Really fancy ones on metal trays to keep them warm. This was just coach and they would bring around warm towels to wipe your hands and face if you wanted. Plus there were little white towels on the back of your chair that got changed after each flight. Boy a lot has changed.....and not for the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 08:48 AM

1,854 posts, read 8,739,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I'm a bit older and remember when we got wonderful full meals on an airplane. Really fancy ones on metal trays to keep them warm. This was just coach and they would bring around warm towels to wipe your hands and face if you wanted. Plus there were little white towels on the back of your chair that got changed after each flight. Boy a lot has changed.....and not for the better.

I remember those days too. Jet fuel was only pennies a gallon. I still had a pension to look forward to. Airlines market shares were protected by regulation, and we didn't have the Greyhound crowd with their entitlement attitude expecting to fly across country for $39.95, guzzling all of the free drinks they could get their hands on.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:52 AM

4,657 posts, read 15,773,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Here is something else to think about too. Every time I have flown Southwest Airlines, the flight attendants asked if anybody could make change for a twenty. On the few ocassions that I have been able to make change for them, the flight attendant always offered me a free drink. I'm sure that ours will be doing the same thing. So carry a stack of singles, and you might get lucky.
That's a great point. A friend and I were just talking the other day that they often give $10 for a $5 beer/mixed drink as the flight crew never has change

I too remember when we served a hot meal on the flight. Back in 1995 when my mom and I flew from CA to OK there was a passenger on board who as diabetic who had checked ahead of time and was informed a meal would be served, they lacked telling her it was first calss only and were refusing to feed her. I spoke up and informed the flight attenddent that I would put money on the fact that not everyone in first calss bothered with a meal, she said I was correct and I suggested she best come up with a meal before they wound up with a passenger in a diabetic coma or worse... they came up with a meal quite fast! Since the passenger had a few more legs, I gave her my roll of glucose tablets just in case.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:04 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,480,117 times
I think I pretty much have had it with flying. After flying in June and that fisaco on Delta, including the pilot announcing the plane was low on fuel and he was deverting the flight to refuel, enough is enough. I don't know which mode of travel is left. Ive tried Amtrak, that was horrible. I don't do Greyhound especially after hearing about the murder and beheading of that poor guy a few days ago. I don't want to drive coast to coast when I visit at these gas prices and the other costs involved with that. Guess Im not going any where for right now. Maybe eventually air travel will have to come up with some plans to greatly improve itself or I just don't know what will happen with the industry.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:44 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,245,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
This article talks about certain exemptions. Some of the opinions at the bottom were pretty good too.

Marketplace: US Airways' drink policy may be fluid (http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2008/08/01/usair - broken link)
I checked it out as well as US Airs on website. Can one BRING onboard their OWN drink from a concession they purchased inside the secured area of the airport? This is where I have the problem if they are not going to allow such be it food or drinks (I totally get that alcoholic drinks can not be brought onboard).

I ALWAYS do this as even waiting till one gets served can take forever and by then I've usually already finished off the bottle of water I brought on. THEN, not counting if the flight gets delayed sitting on the tarmac to take off. If it is an hour delay most airlines won't serve drinks as it will mean no drinks for during the flight to serve everyone. However, the one time I did not have a bottle of water purchased from inside the airport was on USAir and it was the second leg of our journey. As we ran to make the connection after clearing customs (international flight) I did not stop to purchase some drinks or any snacks or food for the kids. My youngest was needing to take some medicine and I was barely able to talk and coughing due to being out of breath. My husband politely asked for a bottle of water for us but we were told we would have to wait till they were being served. I then asked about 10 minutes later myself as I was having a fit w/ my allergies and such....... still NOTHING. Actually that was THE rudest bunch of flight attendants I've experienced in all of my life (and I'm NOT one of the "slobs" or "trash" that flies nowadays either - I still respect the flight that air travel is a priveledge). I'm not kidding in saying I believe they PURPOSELY served us last and I mean DEAD LAST to be served drinks on that plane.

I guess according to their new rules I should have stood up and made a jerk out of myself instead of trying to stay seated and be polite when inquiring about getting ANYTHING to drink (I was almost to the point that toilet water would have been acceptable to drink). Which the DRUNK jerks behind us seemed to get anything they wanted and the flight attendants were happy to oblige and kept giving them more and more beer (4 AT A TIME?!?!?!?!). Oh well.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:53 AM

207 posts, read 922,012 times
I'm pretty sure you can bring on a drink purchased from a vendor in the secure part of the airport, but its still way overpriced!

Old 08-04-2008, 08:12 AM

13,103 posts, read 24,877,263 times
I had the misfortune of having to fly US Air last month, absolutely horrible
I usually fly Continental but this was a very last minute flight to visit my brother in Denver who has been ill..never and I mean never would I fly them again

Old 08-04-2008, 09:19 AM

1,854 posts, read 8,739,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Can one BRING onboard their OWN drink from a concession they purchased inside the secured area of the airport?

Whenever I taxi a plane off the gate, I always do a walk through to make sure there aren't any dead bodies, or luggage left behind. The seats are always full of fast food bags, and different drink bottles that I know we don't serve. So, I would have to say yes it's ok to bring your own stuff. I have never seen any rules that say otherwise.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:55 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,179,165 times
I have sworn never to fly again, except in case of an emergency. Did have to fly to East Coast a few months ago for a graduation. Was dreading it, but amazingly was not too bad either way. I intimidated some poor guy who couldn't speak Enlish into switching seats with me (aisle)! So I just drive instead and have for years and years, except for above trip.

I think the airlines/TSA today border on being criminal and abusive. Along with adding the charge for a small watered down glass of coke, the thing that angers me is that they require you to only bring on board a drink from inside the security zone, at an outrageous cost, i.e. $3 for a small bottle of water!! I despise them.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:02 PM

913 posts, read 2,891,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I checked it out as well as US Airs on website. Can one BRING onboard their OWN drink from a concession they purchased inside the secured area of the airport? This is where I have the problem if they are not going to allow such be it food or drinks (I totally get that alcoholic drinks can not be brought onboard).

I ALWAYS do this as even waiting till one gets served can take forever and by then I've usually already finished off the bottle of water I brought on. THEN, not counting if the flight gets delayed sitting on the tarmac to take off. If it is an hour delay most airlines won't serve drinks as it will mean no drinks for during the flight to serve everyone. However, the one time I did not have a bottle of water purchased from inside the airport was on USAir and it was the second leg of our journey. As we ran to make the connection after clearing customs (international flight) I did not stop to purchase some drinks or any snacks or food for the kids. My youngest was needing to take some medicine and I was barely able to talk and coughing due to being out of breath. My husband politely asked for a bottle of water for us but we were told we would have to wait till they were being served. I then asked about 10 minutes later myself as I was having a fit w/ my allergies and such....... still NOTHING. Actually that was THE rudest bunch of flight attendants I've experienced in all of my life (and I'm NOT one of the "slobs" or "trash" that flies nowadays either - I still respect the flight that air travel is a priveledge). I'm not kidding in saying I believe they PURPOSELY served us last and I mean DEAD LAST to be served drinks on that plane.

I guess according to their new rules I should have stood up and made a jerk out of myself instead of trying to stay seated and be polite when inquiring about getting ANYTHING to drink (I was almost to the point that toilet water would have been acceptable to drink). Which the DRUNK jerks behind us seemed to get anything they wanted and the flight attendants were happy to oblige and kept giving them more and more beer (4 AT A TIME?!?!?!?!). Oh well.
Either you are paying the Southwest airline or the "secured" area pricing....you are pretty much getting ripped off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or