U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 09:09 AM

207 posts, read 922,238 times

Advertisements

US Air will be charging $1 for sodas and coffee now. I know its not much in the grand scheme of things, but what's next? Charging to use the restroom? And you can't take drinks purchased outside the airport on the plane anymore either, so hopefully you're not thirsty on that 8 hour flight overseas.

I can't believe that one day I will be telling my kids that drinks, peanuts, and luggage used to be free. Just like my parents used to tell me about the 5 cent movies they used to go see

You'd think they'd just tack $1 to the plane ticket...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 11:53 AM

1,854 posts, read 8,741,870 times
I said we should give the water away, and then put a coin slot on the restroom.
If we added the dollar to the ticket, you would have to pay sales tax on it.

This is strictly my opinion with nothing to back it up.
I don't think the buck is to simply make money. I think they are trying to discourage people from wanting something to drink. Once demand drops, we can stop carrying around so much extra weight, and save fuel. Most of our flights are short hop 2 hours or less. I know that I can go that long without eating or drinking. Long haul is a different story.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:07 PM

2,765 posts, read 6,510,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah090206 View Post
US Air will be charging $1 for sodas and coffee now. I know its not much in the grand scheme of things, but what's next? Charging to use the restroom? And you can't take drinks purchased outside the airport on the plane anymore either, so hopefully you're not thirsty on that 8 hour flight overseas.

I can't believe that one day I will be telling my kids that drinks, peanuts, and luggage used to be free. Just like my parents used to tell me about the 5 cent movies they used to go see

You'd think they'd just tack $1 to the plane ticket...

One more reason why I never fly, I'll drive any day. Yes gas is so expensive to drive long distance anymore, and yes it takes a lot longer especially if your going cross country, but I can eat and drink what I want, stop and see the sights anytime I want, and control my own trip. It's worth the extra costs, plus no fussing & fighting at the airports.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:54 PM

39,536 posts, read 47,722,769 times
It's $2.00 for water, not $1.00 plus $2.00 for sodas, $7.50 for liquour, etc etc. Read all about it:The Middle Seat Terminal : Starting Today, No More Free Water on US Air
Starting Jan-1-2009 NWA will be adding a $80.00 fuel tax to all domestic flights.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:03 PM

39 posts, read 180,844 times
Thats why I want to fly Asian based airlines, they don't seem to nickel and dime you like US based airline. Well, from what I have read.

$80 fuel tax, screw that I will just find a deferent airline to fly with.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:57 PM

12,617 posts, read 28,102,469 times
I certainly don't like it, but it might be cheaper to buy it on the airline then from the overpriced vendors right before you get on the plane.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:15 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,256,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I certainly don't like it, but it might be cheaper to buy it on the airline then from the overpriced vendors right before you get on the plane.
I've paid close to $3 for a bottle of water in the airport.

I don't see how they can force someone to NOT bring a bottle purchased inside the secured area onto the plane and FORCE them to buy it from them. I'd think all kinds of issues could come from that. And NO, going without is NOT an option. For one you need to stay hydrated during flight and some of us do take meds that cause extreme dryness of the mouth and throat and such. I can't go 2 hours w/o having something to drink at all.

Guess this gives us another good reason to not fly on US Air as if we did not have enough already based on experience w/ them on more than one occassion.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:47 PM

39,536 posts, read 47,722,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InkedParrot View Post
Thats why I want to fly Asian based airlines, they don't seem to nickel and dime you like US based airline. Well, from what I have read.

$80 fuel tax, screw that I will just find a deferent airline to fly with.
The problem with this is when one airline starts a trend they all tend to follow.

As far as the water situation. Take an empty bottle through the inspections and then just before boarding fill it with water from the water foutains.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:56 PM

6,021 posts, read 13,543,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
The problem with this is when one airline starts a trend they all tend to follow.

As far as the water situation. Take an empty bottle through the inspections and then just before boarding fill it with water from the water foutains.
ditto. another option is that some restaurants/food places like Starbucks and Mickey D's will offer you a free cup of ice tap water if you ask (not sure how this will change once airlines start charging for water, but I work at an airport and always managed to get water this way when I forget my bottle)

Old 08-03-2008, 12:00 AM

1,854 posts, read 8,741,870 times
This article talks about certain exemptions. Some of the opinions at the bottom were pretty good too.

Marketplace: US Airways' drink policy may be fluid (http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2008/08/01/usair - broken link)

Here is something else to think about too. Every time I have flown Southwest Airlines, the flight attendants asked if anybody could make change for a twenty. On the few ocassions that I have been able to make change for them, the flight attendant always offered me a free drink. I'm sure that ours will be doing the same thing. So carry a stack of singles, and you might get lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or