U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 12:14 PM

36 posts, read 192,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Changing flights in Atlanta is one thing to take in mind. With that said, I can't remember ever meeting a southerner who was afraid of heights.

As far as African-Americans and the subject of traveling, I can speak for myself when I say this: I have always wanted to travel to other places and see other places. It has sort of been ingrained in me. I moved around alot as a child and I miss seeing different places. I remember being 9 or 10 years old and I wanted to travel to the Far East. At age 13 I wanted to travel to Russia. When I got older, I started hearing about how people of African descent were being beaten up and even murdered by Neo-Nazi skinheads in major Russian cities and the police would almost never do anything about it. That made me scared of traveling to Russia. I still have a spirit of traveling in me. I still want to see places all over the world. I have read about those places and wanted to go to those places myself. I read an article about some blacks feeling like traveling wasn't a "black thing" or "not being for black people". As a teenager, I had a feeling it was like that, but I kind of ignored it. I don't own a passport because I don't have the money to travel anywhere, but that is one thing I aspire to have and to do.
I could understand African-Americans being weary of racism as far as traveling is concerned. Racism cuts across every continent.
I completely understand.
And do it!! If you want to travel, travel!
Listen, I'm black and I LOVE to ski. People always tell me that skiing is a white thing but I did it and love it.
It's just about doing your research on the safe non racist places to go.
Turkey, Morocco, big cities in Canada, Italy, and so on and so on are all places that are not racist.
It's not about it being a "Black thing" or not.
Fried chicken and pork is supposedly a black thing, but I'm allergic to pork and fried chicken is just TOO unhealthy to eat all the time.
I don't speak slang, I like my grilled chicken, I like my salads, I like to work out, I LIKE to live in good neighborhoods with low crime rates... are all of these "white" too? No, not at all, and I am not forgetting where I came from, I'm merely improving my on quality of life. I refuse to live in past oppressions, it's 2009 not the 1940s.
I encourage travel and whatever else you want to do no matter what race you are. There's no "black" thing, "white thing", etc. That's ignorant.
Just make wise decisions and do your research before you go.
Happy trails!

Old 05-24-2009, 11:10 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,875,914 times
We have a timeshare that lets us travel to almost anywhere in the world. It is not uncommon to see black families at most locations. I don't think I saw any at Nashville, but there were certainly some in Fort Lauderdale and Edisto Island.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:05 AM

578 posts, read 2,345,181 times
In Detroit, MI the Black History Museum has predominantly black visitors, The Detroit Institute of Arts; about 60/40 mixed white, black & brown due to the Wayne State Univ. being so near I guess. Historical? maybe its not that interesting to them, since its White History. Some states are mostly geared to the whites, i.e. Oregon, Montana, Vermont, Utah
How about Cedar Point, Ohio? its about half-half visitors? And Walt Disney World? I've never been there anybody observed that split?

Old 05-25-2009, 12:07 AM

578 posts, read 2,345,181 times
How many white visitors are there at MLK's birthplace in Atl, GA, his church? some sites are 'for' blacks....how many were at the Memorial for MLK? did YOU visit there? as a white tourist?

Old 05-25-2009, 12:15 AM

1,091 posts, read 3,296,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
Considering the average Black Person is not flying all over the world with a Masters Degree (nor is the typical White Person!!), I would hope to hear from middle class working class black folk to get their perspective.

I think what you'd hear is that few working class people of any race travel for tourism purposes.
I know I don't. I haven't left my state since I was a kid, and then, only once: to Disneyworld.
I've rarely even left my city, and then there's typically some reason, such as visiting a relative.

Since people of color disproportionately belong to the lower socioeconomic classes, I guess you have your answer.
Poor blacks, like poor whites, remain at home to work and take care of their kids.
It would simply be irresponsible for a working-class family of any race to blow hundreds if not thousands of dollars on a vacation, in my opinion.
Then again, everyone has the right to prioritize their own life, and perhaps there are a few poor families (of whatever race) who are willing to make extreme sacrifices in other areas of life and use the money for vacations instead.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:37 PM

71 posts, read 265,644 times
Default It's the Mode of Travel that Makes the Difference

I don't think the question is whether or not African-Americans travel, but the mode of travel that is most used. I am not big on flying, which is funny since I enjoy going plane-spotting at the airport (an activity that doesn't draw many African-American enthusiasts, by the way). I just don't like how I feel when I'm in an airplane, so I don't travel by air frequently. I do, however, witness many African American travellers on highways and on trains.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:20 AM

5,677 posts, read 8,590,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon transplant View Post
blacks are more likely to spend their money on material goods than travel, cultural events or education.
+1

Old 10-08-2009, 01:16 PM

2,178 posts, read 4,844,224 times
Very interesting thread. I hear where many are coming from. I'm not an African American but I share alot of the same stumbling blocks: no old money in my family, living paycheck to paycheck & having more important priorities like education for my children & car maintenance: laughable to some who have no idea what that's like.

I didn't grow up taking vacations & still tend not to. It was never instilled in me to splurge on travel. In 5 years I've had 2 day trips to the Oregon beach (I've never seen anyone sunbathe here) & one trip for a few days going to SE Oregon. Whenever I do get away, there's not much in the budget for more than food & lodging.

I agree that vacation is an untapped resource for pleasure for many of us. And I can see where some would place more importance on attending a family event over a singular vacation away from family. If I could "really get away" it would definitely need to include seeing family who are 14 driving hours away - I haven't seen them in 5 years. I'm not keen on flying either.

Since African Americans do make up a small proportion of the population, of course it would be expected to see fewer in travel centers. I always feel wierd when I only see white people around me, as I grew up in Los Angeles County. When I visited someone in KY once, it was overwhelming.

Kate

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 10-08-2009 at 01:30 PM..

Old 10-08-2009, 02:46 PM

111 posts, read 399,279 times
When I went to Vegas this last August, my flight out had a layover in Minneapolis and then headed to Vegas. On those flights, I didn't see many African American people. I don't even recall seeing any African Americans that weren't airport employees in Minneapolis. On the way home though, we went from Vegas to Memphis to Indy. The flight from Vegas to Memphis was probably about 60% black so obviously they are travelling. A lot of it has to deal not just where you go, but the routes you take to get there.

Also, I've seen several people say that African Americans won't go out of their comfort zone and go someplace that is more oriented towards white people. Maybe it's the opposite though. Maybe the majority of white people won't go someplace that is African American oriented. Just a thought. I'm white and do travel a lot, both by myself and with friends/family. When I travel alone, safety is a main concern for me. I know I can be robbed just as easily in a white neighborhood as a black neighborhood, but when I'm alone, I do tend to frequent the more white places.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:03 PM

274 posts, read 764,115 times
Heh Pirate, Dont ever give up on your plans to travel. As soon as your able to by all means set aside $$ to travel. I've always wanted to go to Italy since I was in high school but, married, kids, issues, house to buy, divorce etc. Well guess what I'm 57 and I'm FINALLY leaving for Italy in 1 month.
Unfortunately I dont have the $$ to spend that I'd like to but I'm going.

Many blacks do travel all over the world because of their jobs or just because they want to. I have met whites who live in the back woods of the south that dont even want to travel to the major city near them. I was blessed to have had a job at the time that sent me to Korea for 2 weeks otherwise I would have gone.

I agree that sometimes foreigners treat you better than your own countrymen.
Join a tour group and you can plan a year or two ahead and pay for your trip over time. It doesn't hurt as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel