U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 9 days ago)
 
48,065 posts, read 45,465,557 times
Reputation: 15324

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Heh Pirate, Dont ever give up on your plans to travel. As soon as your able to by all means set aside $$ to travel. I've always wanted to go to Italy since I was in high school but, married, kids, issues, house to buy, divorce etc. Well guess what I'm 57 and I'm FINALLY leaving for Italy in 1 month.
Unfortunately I dont have the $$ to spend that I'd like to but I'm going.

Many blacks do travel all over the world because of their jobs or just because they want to. I have met whites who live in the back woods of the south that dont even want to travel to the major city near them. I was blessed to have had a job at the time that sent me to Korea for 2 weeks otherwise I would have gone.

I agree that sometimes foreigners treat you better than your own countrymen.
Join a tour group and you can plan a year or two ahead and pay for your trip over time. It doesn't hurt as bad.
I haven't given up. It is still in me to want to travel. Actually, money is one of the bigger issues. Other than that, I would have gone somewhere already. I still plan to travel out to Asia, mainly East Asia this coming May. I just need to find a flight under $1000. For some reason, flights to East Asia are expensive.
I am checking out some of the tours.
I hope you have a good time in Italy.

 
Old 12-17-2009, 01:21 PM
 
Location: In the sticks, SC
1,642 posts, read 4,522,259 times
Reputation: 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I haven't given up. It is still in me to want to travel. Actually, money is one of the bigger issues. Other than that, I would have gone somewhere already. I still plan to travel out to Asia, mainly East Asia this coming May. I just need to find a flight under $1000. For some reason, flights to East Asia are expensive.
I am checking out some of the tours.
I hope you have a good time in Italy.
Here are some sites which give updates and sales on fares.

My plan is to set aside a certain amount of money over a years time or so, then when I have a certain amount look for last minute deals. I think you can find some great deals that way. I plan to get some stamps on my passport over the next few years

Good luck and good travelin'!

Reviews of vacations, hotels, resorts, vacation and travel packages - TripAdvisor
Travel Deals, Cheap Airfare, Vacation Deals, Car Rental, and Discount Travel - SmarterTravel.com
Travel Tips, Trip Planning and Discount Travel - Independent Traveler
 
Old 12-17-2009, 03:43 PM
 
Location: 20 years from now
5,511 posts, read 5,714,017 times
Reputation: 3441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
Many of my Black friends and I have talked about this very issue (few Blacks at Tourist sites) Here are there observations:

African Americans are more likely to travel to see family by car than fly

Because African Americans could not stay in hotels until 40 years ago, there is less of a generational disposition to travel and tourism

Blacks are more likely to spend their money on material goods than travel, cultural events or education.

Blacks do not feel welcome at National Parks and historical sites, so they do not attend

Few Black cruise because it is marketed to whites and blacks do not like beaches and laying out in the sun.

Many Blacks feel more comfortable in their own community and do not like to travel by air or stay at hotels because it takes them to places they may not feel comfortable that are dominated by white people.
------------
These are the comments from my Black friends, do you agree?
As an AA this is an interesting view point
 
Old 12-20-2009, 07:50 PM
 
454 posts, read 541,873 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
As an AA this is an interesting view point
I jumped right into this thread without even reading the 122 replies...

LOL, I have been from city to city and when I need my hair done, I go to the 'Black' part of town. And nowhere can you find out more about the city than a Black salon. (BTW, I happen to be Black)

I think it has to do that many of 'us' choose not to move (key word, move) more than a couple hundred miles from home. It took my family decades to move half-way across the country. But once they did, they started traveling all over the east coast, something they never did before. They realized things in the south was nothing like New Jersey and New York. After that, I followed suit. This year I've been to 6 cities on the east coast and next year Im hitting the West coast...and going to take all that money and tour all over Ireland and the United Kingdom.

No matter what race you are, you have to have an open mind. There are people of all races I've come across from New York City who have never left the city. They come to Florida and they freeze up. They've never been anywhere else. Thats all they know. Thats for anybody.

You also have to have a reason to travel. Traveling somewhere involves a risk. I've lost money in some cities. Its been a wasted trip. Not everyone has the disposable income or the desire to do that. You have to be open to different ways of living, food, language, accent...all that. You have to expect to get lost at some point and spend 1-2 extra hours driving around or navigating subways. If you stay in one place all the time, you won't want to go thru the complications (and adventure) of doing so.

BOOYAH!
 
Old 12-20-2009, 07:57 PM
 
454 posts, read 541,873 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
I've never noticed. I guess I don't pay attention to people's color when traveling.
Yeah right. I get on these Airlines, and as a Black person I dont see a single Black person on the planes. At the most...1 or 2 families. And thats usually on 1 flight out of 4.

Don't lie to me like that!
 
Old 12-21-2009, 02:09 AM
 
Location: In the sticks, SC
1,642 posts, read 4,522,259 times
Reputation: 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
I jumped right into this thread without even reading the 122 replies...

LOL, I have been from city to city and when I need my hair done, I go to the 'Black' part of town. And nowhere can you find out more about the city than a Black salon. (BTW, I happen to be Black)

I think it has to do that many of 'us' choose not to move (key word, move) more than a couple hundred miles from home. It took my family decades to move half-way across the country. But once they did, they started traveling all over the east coast, something they never did before. They realized things in the south was nothing like New Jersey and New York. After that, I followed suit. This year I've been to 6 cities on the east coast and next year Im hitting the West coast...and going to take all that money and tour all over Ireland and the United Kingdom.

No matter what race you are, you have to have an open mind. There are people of all races I've come across from New York City who have never left the city. They come to Florida and they freeze up. They've never been anywhere else. Thats all they know. Thats for anybody.

You also have to have a reason to travel. Traveling somewhere involves a risk. I've lost money in some cities. Its been a wasted trip. Not everyone has the disposable income or the desire to do that. You have to be open to different ways of living, food, language, accent...all that. You have to expect to get lost at some point and spend 1-2 extra hours driving around or navigating subways. If you stay in one place all the time, you won't want to go thru the complications (and adventure) of doing so.

BOOYAH!
I travel when I want to see somewhere I've read about or always wanted to go. (I am AA by the way). I don't need a specific "reason", like family issues,work, etc. to travel. Sometimes I just like to "get away from it all"
You can minimize many of the risks of travel by doing research. You can learn about tours so that you can see a location without getting lost.
I don't know about you but I plan to put my passport to good use.
The sites that I posted earlier will give you plenty of info and prices on flights, hotels, and incidentals. There is no reason why my brothas and sistas shouldn't be spreading thier wings and seeing the world
 
Old 12-23-2009, 02:54 PM
 
253 posts, read 514,523 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
I travel when I want to see somewhere I've read about or always wanted to go. (I am AA by the way). I don't need a specific "reason", like family issues,work, etc. to travel. Sometimes I just like to "get away from it all"
yup, my thoughts exactly. i am also AA too (Asian-American, in this case).
 
Old 12-24-2009, 04:24 AM
 
195 posts, read 212,692 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
Yeah right. I get on these Airlines, and as a Black person I don't see a single Black person on the planes. At the most...1 or 2 families. And that's usually on 1 flight out of 4.

Don't lie to me like that!
I do a lot of travel for business and notice that there are very few African Americans in hotels and almost none on planes. I go to Atlanta on a regular basis and am shocked how few Black people are traveling in the Atlanta Airport and almost everyone on the plane is White.

Blacks are 12 percent of the American population and if you explained their lack of travel by lower economic attainment and said maybe 6% of travelers should be AA, this still does not explain why there are basically no Black people in hotels, planes, sit down restaurants, museums or historical areas.
 
Old 12-27-2009, 10:39 PM
Status: "Texas State of mind" (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: I-35
1,804 posts, read 3,695,975 times
Reputation: 715
Its all about cost and peoples schedules. Most black folks will go when it invloves family reunions, sporting events, or funerals.

I want to go to the island every winter if I could but got to work.
 
Old 12-28-2009, 04:48 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Reputation: 13019
I guess none of you have been to Disney World. I've seen a significant number of black families there enjoying themselves lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top