U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2009, 06:27 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,523,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I guess none of you have been to Disney World. I've seen a significant number of black families there enjoying themselves lately.
I think some of that may be due to the arrival of the newest Princess: I'd like to see that as well.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:14 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
I think some of that may be due to the arrival of the newest Princess: I'd like to see that as well.
I'm talking about the past few YEARS, not weeks.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:29 AM

6,021 posts, read 13,546,329 times
umm, didn't read this whole thread (can't even remember if I've posted this here already or not!), but I can say that, as an airport employee, I see plenty of black travelers, flying to and from all sorts of destinations. I'm black and would love to travel more, but school and finances prevents this, though I'm planning on possibly heading towards Prague or Italy in the next few years

Old 12-31-2009, 06:29 PM

645 posts, read 1,288,756 times
I'm young and black and I love to travel, more so now that i'm older than ever before. My next place to visit is Hawaii, me and my s/o will be visiting soon.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:15 AM

121 posts, read 217,650 times
This is a great thread with interesting posts. I cannot speak for all black people; I can only speak for myself. Iíll start with a little background information. I am originally from New Orleans, LA and I am 38 yrs old. I did not grow up in a rich family but we were not poor, my mother was a nurse and my father a construction worker. They were divorced but my father is and has always been a part of every aspect of my life. I just wish he loved sports as much as I do but that is another story. LOL

Our first vacation was in 1979 to Disney World, I still remember almost every detail of that vacation. Our church threw a bus ride and paid for the majority of costs through fund raisers. In 1980, we had another church trip to Atlanta and Houston in 1981 (Astro-World). Growing up in New Orleans we would take short weekend trips to the beach in Biloxi, Pensacola and other close destinations.

Fast forward to 2010, I am now 38 yrs old with a family and living in the Atlanta area. My wife is originally from Florida and our son was born in Hawaii, (we were both in the military stationed in Hawaii.) Our family vacations are centered around the South East mainly because we can visit family and enjoy a vacation at the same time. Last year we spent a week at Disney World during spring break. We were also able to visit family in Orlando during our vacation. We spend at least 4-5 weekends in New Orleans every year enjoying the city as well as visiting family. Our family members get offended because we prefer staying in hotels instead of staying with them. We simply tell them we want to try to squeeze in a vacation while seeing family.

We both travel occasionally for business and when we do, we try to extend the business travel and squeeze in a vacation. So far we have had business/leisure travel to San Francisco, Montreal and Washington DC. As a family we have been on the Disney Cruise as well as a Carnival Cruise and we are going to Hawaii in a few months. My wife and her sisters and friends took a girlís only cruise. My friends and I have take golf/cigar smoking trips to Vegas and Tampa.

We make more money than our parents did so it is only natural that we travel more than our parents. We were exposed to air travel as teenagers and while serving in the military so flying does not bother us.

There is some validity to the statement our generation is simply playing catch up. In the 60ís my parents were not allowed to stay in nice hotels whether they could afford it or not. There is a renaissance, specifically in the Atlanta area where there is a large population of Blacks with high paying jobs and we are beginning to enjoy life by enjoying the things that our parents could not enjoy for one reason or another.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:17 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,908,692 times
Wow! I really enjoyed this thread and of course I want to throw in my .5 cents. As a black man, born in the U.S Virgin Islands in the 60s I have a somewhat different experience, but before I share, I want to say that the major part of the reason comes down to money considering the 8-ball the black community started behind. In the past blacks traveled on 3 occasions:

1. On a slave ship
2. To accompany their "master" on some trip.
3. To escape

Later they were basically discouraged from going to certain places due to threats on their well being and this, in addition to some other things, ensured a tradition of leisure travel was not, well, traditional in black families. But as someone pointed out, we are catching up (still a ways to go) and in doing so, we are getting out there.

Now, I grew up in the Caribbean and as a 6 month old I was sent to live with my grandmother on the island of St. Kitts and I went by plane. For the next 8 years I was on a plane at least once per year going back and forth and then at 9 I was sent to N.Y by jet and I have been flying since. So, I grew up with a passion for traveling and it will be past on to my kids.

I was lucky, however. Many friends my age (today) have either never flown OR did not step on a jet until in their 20s, 20s and 40s and it is a harrowing experience they hate to repeat if they can avoid it.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:23 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,523,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Wow! I really enjoyed this thread and of course I want to throw in my .5 cents. As a black man, born in the U.S Virgin Islands in the 60s I have a somewhat different experience, but before I share, I want to say that the major part of the reason comes down to money considering the 8-ball the black community started behind. In the past blacks traveled on 3 occasions:

1. On a slave ship
2. To accompany their "master" on some trip.
3. To escape

Later they were basically discouraged from going to certain places due to threats on their well being and this, in addition to some other things, ensured a tradition of leisure travel was not, well, traditional in black families. But as someone pointed out, we are catching up (still a ways to go) and in doing so, we are getting out there.

Now, I grew up in the Caribbean and as a 6 month old I was sent to live with my grandmother on the island of St. Kitts and I went by plane. For the next 8 years I was on a plane at least once per year going back and forth and then at 9 I was sent to N.Y by jet and I have been flying since. So, I grew up with a passion for traveling and it will be past on to my kids.

I was lucky, however. Many friends my age (today) have either never flown OR did not step on a jet until in their 20s, 20s and 40s and it is a harrowing experience they hate to repeat if they can avoid it.
I agree.....I do think that this is a generational thing. You left out another original reason for blacks to travel however......the military. In the past, many black folk who had worldly travel experience did so by being station in various parts of the world. I do believe we will see an increase in black travel as time goes on.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:11 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,908,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
I agree.....I do think that this is a generational thing. You left out another original reason for blacks to travel however......the military. In the past, many black folk who had worldly travel experience did so by being station in various parts of the world. I do believe we will see an increase in black travel as time goes on.
Very true. The military.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:39 PM

325 posts, read 990,563 times
Im an African American single mother and I enjoy traveling. It can be difficult to find the time and the money. I have made vacation a PRIORITY for my son and I. We will be spending 11 nights/12 days in Disney World this May. It took me almost 2 years to plan this trip but it has been done and paid for. Today I began inquiring about our next vacation which will be on the brand new Disney Dream ship in summer of 2011. Total cost 2000 dollars with a 400 dollar deposit. The balance doesnt need to be paid until May 2011. Thats plenty of time! Most of us find money to do whatever it is we choose to do. I guess it all depends on where your priorities lie.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:11 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
The post above about travel within the black community being generational is very likely pretty spot on--especially for black families who still live in the deep south.

A few years ago I was on a flight and the gentleman next to me was an older black man. He had never been on a plane before and didn't know about fastening seatbelts, etc. He thought he had to pay for the in-flight beverage service, and didn't know about the lavs. This gentleman (and he was most definitely a gentleman!) had never been out of the state of Alabama in his life, and had only been to Birmingham (where our flight was departing from) a handful of times in his life--he still lived in the home he had grown up in out in the country about three hours from there. We were headed to New York City--he was going to visit a cousin he hadn't seen in 40 years--and I would have loved to have been able to shadow him on his adventure to see it through his eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel