U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 12:51 AM

17 posts, read 49,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Perhaps a bit OT, but I have to comment on a very well thought out and well written post. May your dreams of travel come true. A rep to go with the praise.
Thank you so much, Tek_Freek. ^_^ I look forward to possibly working on a blog on here to document those travels. I know that, in my experience, finding the blogs of others in similar situations (being Black and traveling to Ireland, France, Italy, etc) really helped me more than any tourist's brochure could come close to doing. Hopefully my dreams will work out. :3 Starting this summer! I'll keep you updated, if you want ah, and I haven't forgotten to give you a rep point as well

Regarding the topic of this thread as well, however, I wanted to make another comment because I recently came from a conference in St. Louis (flew back in about 4 hours ago, actually). Having never been there before, the person accompanying me and I went traveling to certain attractions such as the Arch and the Museum of Westward Expansion. I was happily pleased to see not only a good group of African Americans/Blacks in general there, but a wonderful mixture of many groups of people. That said, I'm under the impression that when Blacks (of perhaps any descent?) get the chance to travel, they do so, and they do so just as any other ethnicity would - they visit museums, go to attractions, and enjoy their time to the fullest.

So, perhaps it is indeed merely narrowed down to a person's personal preference (maybe they don't like traveling?) and their economic ability to do so. After all, were it not for my school footing the bill for travel, food and accommodations, I definitely would never have found myself a tourist in a place like Missouri anytime soon, you know?

Old 03-23-2010, 02:25 AM

2 posts, read 14,145 times
I'm Black and currently living abroad, working at a private company. After reading that comment I felt this person was being defensive. I have lived and traveled abroad for the last four years and I am always keen to notice other blacks on my journeys. The encounters are rare. This person sounds like they may have come from a privileged background or as an adult became a part of a unique network of African Americans who travel (possibly as a group). I'm a South Central Los Angeles native. I went to University in Alabama and Grad School in Boston, and I've traveled and lived all over the U.S., my network is broad. Still, I can count on one hand how many of my Black friends travel extensively.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:27 AM

2 posts, read 14,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey2LS View Post
I dont agree with any of these comments. I am black and have travelled all over the world and so have my family and friends. I have been to non black places like Austria and Luxemburg and never felt uncomfortable. I have never felt unwelcomed at a national park even in places far away from my "community" like when I went to Denali on my birthday or Crater Lake last year. I also love cruises and hanging out by the beach....I was raised in Florida, it is in my blood. And I also love to stay at hotels. I will be staying at The W in Seattle this weekend with my friend. Race is not a factor when it comes to where I will vacation.
I'm Black and currently living abroad, working at a private company. After reading that comment I felt this person was being defensive. I have lived and traveled abroad for the last four years and I am always keen to notice other blacks on my journeys. The encounters are rare. This person sounds like they may have come from a privileged background or as an adult became a part of a unique network of African Americans who travel (possibly as a group). I'm a South Central Los Angeles native. I went to University in Alabama and Grad School in Boston, and I've traveled and lived all over the U.S., my network is broad. Still, I can count on one hand how many of my Black friends travel extensively.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:41 AM

5,510 posts, read 5,712,344 times
^ I'm the same way. I travel extensively for school and personal pleasure. Outside of the Carribean, AA's in particular are a rare site. Exceptions may be in the more toruisty parts of Europe such as Paris, London or Rome. I'll be in Moscow, St'Petersburg and Volgograd in about 6 weeks and I don't expect to see any with the exception to a few Africans. I think it's a three pronged issue based on Economics, fear and lack of interest or a combination. Money is tight for a lot of people, and even tighter for many AA families. Plus many have a fear that they will be discriminated against and/or ousted for being "black" like they have been historically in the US. You can talk to alot of AA's and they sincerely believe that the "Chinese hate blacks" and that the "Russians hate blacks" and that everyone just "hates, hates, hates black." Plus you have some who really have no interest in learning about anything that isn't related to blacks in general. I've known many blacks who would like to travel and normally their first choices are places like Brazil, Jamaica or Egypt. I never hear anyone say anything about wanting to explore the country side in France, Spain or small towns in Eastern Europe.

I've lived in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, and Bethlehem (Palestine). While in Bethlehem, I was the first and ONLY black some of the people there had ever seen outside of what they saw on TV about Africa or European and brazilian soccer players. People would literally stop in their tracks and stare at me. Many would also run up to me, introduce themselves and immediately invite me to their homes (yes--complete strangers!) Many thought I was an African, but surprisingly many of them were aware of black history in the US as well.

I was in Peru about 2 years ago in a city named Cuzco and Lima and I shocked a lot of people there as well. Everyone was more than nice though. Surprsingly Ireland is getting quite a few of blacks there as well, so peoples jaws aren't exactly dropping when they see us.

Last edited by itshim; 03-26-2010 at 11:51 AM..

Old 03-31-2010, 01:05 PM

47,996 posts, read 45,443,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
^ I'm the same way. I travel extensively for school and personal pleasure. Outside of the Carribean, AA's in particular are a rare site. Exceptions may be in the more toruisty parts of Europe such as Paris, London or Rome. I'll be in Moscow, St'Petersburg and Volgograd in about 6 weeks and I don't expect to see any with the exception to a few Africans. I think it's a three pronged issue based on Economics, fear and lack of interest or a combination. Money is tight for a lot of people, and even tighter for many AA families. Plus many have a fear that they will be discriminated against and/or ousted for being "black" like they have been historically in the US. You can talk to alot of AA's and they sincerely believe that the "Chinese hate blacks" and that the "Russians hate blacks" and that everyone just "hates, hates, hates black." Plus you have some who really have no interest in learning about anything that isn't related to blacks in general. I've known many blacks who would like to travel and normally their first choices are places like Brazil, Jamaica or Egypt. I never hear anyone say anything about wanting to explore the country side in France, Spain or small towns in Eastern Europe.

I've lived in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, and Bethlehem (Palestine). While in Bethlehem, I was the first and ONLY black some of the people there had ever seen outside of what they saw on TV about Africa or European and brazilian soccer players. People would literally stop in their tracks and stare at me. Many would also run up to me, introduce themselves and immediately invite me to their homes (yes--complete strangers!) Many thought I was an African, but surprisingly many of them were aware of black history in the US as well.

I was in Peru about 2 years ago in a city named Cuzco and Lima and I shocked a lot of people there as well. Everyone was more than nice though. Surprsingly Ireland is getting quite a few of blacks there as well, so peoples jaws aren't exactly dropping when they see us.
I will be very honest. Not all Russians hate Blacks. I have personal experience from this. With that said, I hear you plan to travel to Russia. I have alot of concerns, especially with the threat of xenophobic violence on the rise in Russia. Neo-naz skinheads have attacked alot of people of African and Asian descent in the streets of Moscow, St. Petersburg, and Volgograd among other cities. Alot of them get away with this kind of violence. Not everyone hates Blacks, but the persons who have a virulent hatred of Blacks are acting on it frequently. An African-American marine was attacked in Moscow. I mention this because I have wanted to go to Russia, but after hearing about frequent attacks against African students in Russia and migrants from Asia, I have alot of trepidation in going, especially because I am African-American.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:49 PM

3,359 posts, read 6,538,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I will be very honest. Not all Russians hate Blacks. I have personal experience from this. With that said, I hear you plan to travel to Russia. I have alot of concerns, especially with the threat of xenophobic violence on the rise in Russia. Neo-naz skinheads have attacked alot of people of African and Asian descent in the streets of Moscow, St. Petersburg, and Volgograd among other cities. Alot of them get away with this kind of violence. Not everyone hates Blacks, but the persons who have a virulent hatred of Blacks are acting on it frequently. An African-American marine was attacked in Moscow. I mention this because I have wanted to go to Russia, but after hearing about frequent attacks against African students in Russia and migrants from Asia, I have alot of trepidation in going, especially because I am African-American.
Go anyways and have fun, have a blast.. when your drunk, you won't care... if you pay my ticket, I'll go with you...

Old 04-21-2010, 04:18 PM

47,996 posts, read 45,443,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Go anyways and have fun, have a blast.. when your drunk, you won't care... if you pay my ticket, I'll go with you...
It would take maybe one or two beers for me to get drunk. The danger of getting attacked still stands.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:29 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,345,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
Why is being a tourist so uncommon among the African American Community? I understand that the Middle to Upper Class African American population of America is booming but they seem to be spending their money on something other than travel.

I travel in my job and see Airports and Hotels all over the country. I rarely see Black people on Airplanes or at Hotels. (yes there are some but maybe 1%)

When I travel to scenic areas, parks and museums I rarely see Black people. When I go to historic sites I do not see any black people.

Why is this true?
Perhaps it's true in Oregon, but I can tell you that in Branson we are seeing African American tourists in record numbers.

Mind you, I am not saying that African American people are not "upscale" but I have noticed a shocking trend lately with regard to dining where you simply CANNOT find good, normal, old-fashioned cooking any more. Perhaps the cruise ships and "upscale" hotels might rethink that not everybody likes seared tuna with mango/hollandaise sauce, garnished with Icelandic anchovy pate and a reduction of pomegranate/garlic bisque with toasted pine nuts. Perhaps some people might like fried chicken and ribs - which is in abundant supply in Branson, last I checked.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-21-2010, 06:05 PM

12 posts, read 24,925 times
I think that African-Americans do travel especially myself. I've lived in London, England vacationed in Paris, Scotland, Canada, went on a few Disney cruises, the Bahamas, visited California several times and a ton of other cities within the States.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:05 PM

625 posts, read 3,340,338 times
We get paid less even though we have to work 10 times harder, we have a harder time finding jobs because there is so much prejudice, we are always under so much stress because we although we may have great credit we are charged higher interest rates, have a harder time getting a loan, and are constantly not being told about or given great deals.

I'm sorry but it had to said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel