U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 07:30 AM

44 posts, read 95,910 times

Advertisements

I am an african american female and I do like to travel. My husband has traveled alot due to business trips to Switzerland, Germany and London and various major cities in the US. We tend to do family trips with our boys to the beach, amusement parks and museums/aquariums, nature attractions and such. Neither one of us grew up in a family who took family vacations to different tourist destinations. It was always to visit family which many times was centered around adults chatting and the kids being bored.( We might get lucky enough to go out and eat or visit a local playground once during the visit. ) My mother was and still is very hesitant to visit places where she does not know anyone.( My dad on the other hand states he would like to go somewhere new.) I think that is how she was brought up to think. I know it still affects her and although she is able to travel places she still only goes to visit family or somewhere within an hours drive of where she lives. I use to hear kids at school when I was young talk about their family vacations and always wished we could do things like that. We did usually visit nearby amusement park once a summer or a church youth convention every so often. We mainly took alot of day trips to nearby places. Perhaps money was the issue at that time. My husband and I vowed that we would expose our children to different places and experiences and have taken them a variety of places and we make every effort to take an annual vacation to a new destination . We don't spend major big bucks, but we get out there and do as much as we can and always have a great time. We think the investment is worth it and it provides our kids and ourselves with memories that will last a lifetime. I wouldn't say that black families don't vacation as most of the ones I know do travel and enjoy it.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:30 AM

28 posts, read 34,911 times
Hello, being a middle-age AA female, I too am shocked at how few blacks I see traveling. I've been part of a family that likes to go places, and have started my own "family travel" with my 2nd husband and our daughter. I could count on my hands the # of AA's seen in cultural settings. My parents were professionals(teacher/politician), and I suppose we could be expected to get around, but my husband is a retiring blue-collar wkr. and we go on vacation now at least every other year, taking our teen-age daughter and her (wht) girlfriend. Some times we get the strangest looks--A semi-old blk couple and blk and wht teenage girls ! HaHa It gives me a kick to think Yes, folks , Blk People Do Travel; and sometimes we take wht folks with us!

Old 12-15-2010, 08:58 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,377,277 times
I've seen a few African Americans here in Australia. I don't want to sound racist (lol, I'm sick of making this disclaimer) but they were all well-spoken, educated and hardly had a hint of AAVE (I'm not suggesting AAVE speakers can't be well spoken and educated, but there was none of the 'he be, she be' stuff).

Old 12-18-2010, 02:08 PM

5,207 posts, read 6,198,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
Why is being a tourist so uncommon among the African American Community? I understand that the Middle to Upper Class African American population of America is booming but they seem to be spending their money on something other than travel.

I travel in my job and see Airports and Hotels all over the country. I rarely see Black people on Airplanes or at Hotels. (yes there are some but maybe 1%)

When I travel to scenic areas, parks and museums I rarely see Black people. When I go to historic sites I do not see any black people.

Why is this true?
Very interesting topic. I have an opinion on it, but ill read this topic and see whats up.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
Many of my Black friends and I have talked about this very issue (few Blacks at Tourist sites) Here are there observations:

African Americans are more likely to travel to see family by car than fly

Because African Americans could not stay in hotels until 40 years ago, there is less of a generational disposition to travel and tourism

Blacks are more likely to spend their money on material goods than travel, cultural events or education.

Blacks do not feel welcome at National Parks and historical sites, so they do not attend

Few Black cruise because it is marketed to whites and blacks do not like beaches and laying out in the sun.

Many Blacks feel more comfortable in their own community and do not like to travel by air or stay at hotels because it takes them to places they may not feel comfortable that are dominated by white people.
------------
These are the comments from my Black friends, do you agree?
To a degree, a lot of this is spot on. Especially wasting money on material stuff. As far as blacks not liking the beach....thats a weird one.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingaway View Post
I disagree too. I am a young black women and take offense to some of the comments above particularly that black people spend their money on rims and materialistic items. I am an educated black women as well with a Masters level education . It's funny how people continually stereotype races. I have travelled to many places including Peru, Bolivia and many many states in the United States. I grew up with white people and love to travel. Would it be fair if I said all white people buy expensive houses and can't furnish them??
You sound very sensitive. No cares about your masters or education.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:53 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,566,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've seen a few African Americans here in Australia. I don't want to sound racist (lol, I'm sick of making this disclaimer) but they were all well-spoken, educated and hardly had a hint of AAVE (I'm not suggesting AAVE speakers can't be well spoken and educated, but there was none of the 'he be, she be' stuff).
Educated blacks in America don't speak that way. The non-"well-spoken" blacks probably can't afford overseas travel.

Once again, no racism intended.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:18 AM

28 posts, read 34,911 times
I am a middle-aged Blk. homemaker, and my husband is a retired, (almost!), public employee. We and our teenage daughter(usually with her Caucasian BFF), go somewhere at least every other yr. We started a few years ago after a 3-dy. wknd. at a waterpk. showed us almost NO Blks., except of course the resort workers. We got such strange looks-- two old Blk. folks with a mixed-bag couple of teenage girls!! I enjoyed the noteriety, and made a vow to continue. My parents-(teacher/local politician), always took my brother and I to different places and events; and I enjoy showing my children interesting, educational, exciting things. Blacks need to get out of the "comfort zone". That's how we get left out of important info.!!!!

Old 01-23-2011, 07:26 PM

746 posts, read 1,490,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $DFW8$ View Post
This is true to a certain extent, but a lot of African Americans do travel. OMG! We were in Disney World last month and there was a ton of them there. But, at Disney World, you see all kinds of people from all over the world! The workers in the park all have name tags on and I thought it was interesting how they also have the country where they are from on there. There was a lot from Japan!
They also have that at ski resorts in Canada. It's interesting to see the majority are AUS/NZ or from the UK.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:59 PM

746 posts, read 1,490,429 times
This is a very interesting topic. I think it could be said most black people don't do things most white people do. I have not seen very many American blacks in my world travels to AUS, NZ, UK and Europe. It could be said they don't really do anything white people do, for the most part:
How many black people do you hear about taking trips to go snowboarding or mountain biking or rock climbing? How many black families do you see at the campground with a 40' 5th wheel? Not a lot of folk.
I don't completely know the answer, but my guess is a lot is based on socio-economic factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel