U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 05:17 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,058,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
Why is being a tourist so uncommon among the African American Community? I understand that the Middle to Upper Class African American population of America is booming but they seem to be spending their money on something other than travel.

I travel in my job and see Airports and Hotels all over the country. I rarely see Black people on Airplanes or at Hotels. (yes there are some but maybe 1%)

When I travel to scenic areas, parks and museums I rarely see Black people. When I go to historic sites I do not see any black people.

Why is this true?
This is true to a certain extent, but a lot of African Americans do travel. OMG! We were in Disney World last month and there was a ton of them there. But, at Disney World, you see all kinds of people from all over the world! The workers in the park all have name tags on and I thought it was interesting how they also have the country where they are from on there. There was a lot from Japan!

Old 08-12-2008, 10:07 PM

51 posts, read 158,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornfan22 View Post
This is true to a certain extent, but a lot of African Americans do travel. OMG! We were in Disney World last month and there was a ton of them there. But, at Disney World, you see all kinds of people from all over the world! The workers in the park all have name tags on and I thought it was interesting how they also have the country where they are from on there. There was a lot from Japan!
Which Disney World did you visit? I didn't see a lot of Asians when I visited Orlando last month.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:25 PM

45 posts, read 131,667 times
I ask these same questions of my friends.

I travel extensively all over the world. many African Americans rarely travel. I pay my vacation account like it is a utility bill. I can not survive without lights and gas , thus I can not survive without a vacation.

If you donate to that account faithfully every month, then you can go on a vacation.

Many do not place a great importance on vacation. Others follow the pack and only vacation to the family reunion or down south or FREAKNIC....

I have been tld the same by many African American flight attendents.

I tell everyone, if you can go to LA, Chicago or New York then you can go to Paris. With a little planning it can be done.

Heck just the amount that some folks spend at the club on the weekends can pay for a five star vacation.

Just my two cents on the matter.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:26 PM

5,849 posts, read 15,934,216 times
Quote:
Many of my Black friends and I have talked about this very issue (few Blacks at Tourist sites) Here are there observations:

African Americans are more likely to travel to see family by car than fly

Because African Americans could not stay in hotels until 40 years ago, there is less of a generational disposition to travel and tourism

Blacks are more likely to spend their money on material goods than travel, cultural events or education.

Blacks do not feel welcome at National Parks and historical sites, so they do not attend

Few Black cruise because it is marketed to whites and blacks do not like beaches and laying out in the sun.

Many Blacks feel more comfortable in their own community and do not like to travel by air or stay at hotels because it takes them to places they may not feel comfortable that are dominated by white people.
------------
These are the comments from my Black friends, do you agree?
No, I don't agree. That's ridiculous. I see plenty of African Americans traveling. Lots on cruises, as noted earlier. Lots at national parks and historical sites, especially those pertaining to AA history (such as the black history trail in Alabama). I see lots of AAs in hotels, plenty in restaurants, and a multitude traveling by air (spend an hour or two in Atlanta's airport...or Chicago's...or Fort Lauderdale).
Of course, I am in the South, where the percentage of African American residents is greater. Granted, I don't see many snow skiing, and a smaller percentage on the beach.
But yes, African Americans vacation and travel!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:33 PM

51 posts, read 158,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowngal View Post
I ask these same questions of my friends.

I travel extensively all over the world. many African Americans rarely travel. I pay my vacation account like it is a utility bill. I can not survive without lights and gas , thus I can not survive without a vacation.

If you donate to that account faithfully every month, then you can go on a vacation.

Many do not place a great importance on vacation. Others follow the pack and only vacation to the family reunion or down south or FREAKNIC....

I have been tld the same by many African American flight attendents.

I tell everyone, if you can go to LA, Chicago or New York then you can go to Paris. With a little planning it can be done.

Heck just the amount that some folks spend at the club on the weekends can pay for a five star vacation.

Just my two cents on the matter.
wow,but I don't think Paris is better than New York.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:04 AM

146 posts, read 579,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
No, I don't agree. That's ridiculous. I see plenty of African Americans traveling. Lots on cruises, as noted earlier. Lots at national parks and historical sites, especially those pertaining to AA history (such as the black history trail in Alabama). I see lots of AAs in hotels, plenty in restaurants, and a multitude traveling by air (spend an hour or two in Atlanta's airport...or Chicago's...or Fort Lauderdale).
Of course, I am in the South, where the percentage of African American residents is greater. Granted, I don't see many snow skiing, and a smaller percentage on the beach.
But yes, African Americans vacation and travel!
Yes, some Black people do travel. Though at a much lower percentage of their population than whites or Asians.

I remember flying into the Atlanta Airlines on business travel on a regular basis and being shocked not seeing any African Americans on the plane. This in an area where Black People were a majority.

WHY?

Old 08-13-2008, 05:46 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,437,915 times
Quote:
Yes, some Black people do travel. Though at a much lower percentage of their population than whites or Asians.

I remember flying into the Atlanta Airlines on business travel on a regular basis and being shocked not seeing any African Americans on the plane. This in an area where Black People were a majority.

WHY?
Interesting question, In my honest opinion, I think it boils down to social economic status in this country. Blacks are just beginning to play "catch up" to their white counter parts and a lot are deciding to take their new money and put it towards family, like for college and buying property, etc. There parents before didn't have property to pass down, so they were basically starting from scratch. At least that has been my perspective with my family. We didn't travel much, because parents were focusing on saving up for college my other siblings and myself and getting a house. Not to say we didn't travel, but we just didn't do it frequently.

Not to say that isn't changing. I'm single and just out of college and travel a lot. I've been to national parks like Death Valley and cities like LA, San Diego, Vegas, Seattle, New York and Vancouver. I plan on going to NC mountains next weekend and eventually going to start saving to go to Europe.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:57 AM

2,755 posts, read 5,319,685 times
Quote:
Why is being a tourist so uncommon among the African American Community? I understand that the Middle to Upper Class African American population of America is booming but they seem to be spending their money on something other than travel.

I travel in my job and see Airports and Hotels all over the country. I rarely see Black people on Airplanes or at Hotels. (yes there are some but maybe 1%)

When I travel to scenic areas, parks and museums I rarely see Black people. When I go to historic sites I do not see any black people.

Why is this true?
Not to be rude here, but you must be going to the wrong places or at the wrong time. Black people are traveling (at least in my family), flying, eating out and contrary to popular belief, tipping beyond what's "required".

I recently returned from Houston, and there were a lot of blacks in the airport going to and fro, suitcases in hand.

If I'm not mistaken, there was a huge AKA convention in DC recently. Additionally, there was the Essence festival in New Orleans. I'm sure these folks weren't skimping when it came to travel, accomodations and entertainment. I would also like to add that in November, the Bayou Classic, which is hosted in New Orleans draws a huge number of African-Americans to the city over the course of 4 days. Lot's of money is spent during this weekend.

I will also add that destinations in the Carribean tend to attract large numbers of black American tourists. We tend to gravitate to places that we feel comfortable and are welcoming.

Granted, we may not be presnt in huge numbers at so-called "popular" tourist areas (Disney), but we are there.

Gil

Old 08-13-2008, 02:04 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,860,426 times
I think you will find blacks vacation just as often as white folks. They are also interested in seeing national monuments etc. They may patronize cities than have a higher % of blacks more frequently...like Atlanta or New Orleans rather than Seattle.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:24 PM

983 posts, read 4,094,447 times
I think everyone has a valid point from each perspective. Let's take my situation. I am from little Akron OH. I was afraid to fly when I was younger and is still not too fond of it. But some have a FEAR to the point of not getting on a plane EVER. I took my first plane ride to CA when I was 21. What used to scare me was not knowing what the sounds were and not being familiar with turbulence. For example, when the plane is taxying on the runway and hitting pot holes or uneven ground, I would get nervous and wonder what is that? But now 25 yrs later I know it's the same as my car driving down a bumpy road. lol Now turbulence I will never get used to and wish it didn't exist! I guess you can say I chose not to let my fear stifle me and miss out on a world that is so awesome and amazing. So I say a prayer and get on the dang gone plane! Still got lots to see and do, Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

Now take everyone else in my family and my friends in Akron. I have been in CA 23 plus yrs. Not a single family member has gotten on a plane to come visit. I have even offered to pay the airfare and all I get is excuses. I am moving to Dallas and my brother says his girlfriend was getting on his case for not coming to CA to visit me in all these yrs. So I said well I got a real estate deal closing so maybe I will buy you a ticket before I move. His response, none so far. Then I get questions all the time as to when I am coming home again to visit.

For the most part I agree that most AF/AM have some underlying fears about flying in general. Also you have to look at the fact that those living in poverty will never travel outside of their own block or neighborhood. They don't have the option of travel like those of us that are financially able.

In 2001 after 9/11 I met a young black male taking the train from Detroit to CA to pursue his rap artist dreams. We had some good conversations. At one point he got teary eyed at seeing the mountains or valleys, etc thru some area. He said that he had home boys that will never see anything like that in their lives. He called his grandmother to tell her what he was seeing. It was really sad.

When your everday existence is all about survival and paying rent, putting food on the table, figuring out how you gonna keep the lights on or get yr transmission fixed, travel is the last thing on yr agenda.

Now those that are financially able, I feel there is a significant amount of travel going on, but like someone said we only make up 12% of the U.S. population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.