U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 04:45 AM

7,721 posts, read 9,018,166 times

Advertisements

Interesting thread to resurrect. My question is, why must there be a race quota with everything? Does it matter how many white, black, red, blue, purple, striped, or polka dotted people travel? Does there need to be and equal number of each race represented?

Old 12-21-2015, 09:12 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,468,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Interesting thread to resurrect. My question is, why must there be a race quota with everything? Does it matter how many white, black, red, blue, purple, striped, or polka dotted people travel? Does there need to be and equal number of each race represented?
I don't really see it with "everything" but you are right in that it's brought up a lot. I also get why certain people might be tired of it and I do not think there should be a race quota with everything. The reason it's often brought up is simply historically, at least in the US, certain groups of people were oppressed, not only socially but through official laws and policies. And most importantly, this oppression and other remnants of the past still have an effect on those same people's ancestors today. That's why people usually don't talk about the Irish actually being some of the first slaves to arrive in America or that Europeans were kidnapped and sold into slavery by North African pirates, etc. What effect does it have on them today? It's why people don't mention blacks are well over their population percentages in both the NBA and NFL, but for some reason it's been brought up in MLB. I won't argue whether it's right or wrong to keep bringing it up or who bears the most resonsibility, but I will say ignoring something won't make it go away.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:02 PM

40,200 posts, read 15,174,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post

This ^ is a good point on which to end this ancient thread and lock it. Please refrain from posting anymore race-based threads.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel