U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-13-2008, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Norcross GA
983 posts, read 4,094,637 times
Reputation: 461

Advertisements

Also wanted to speak on the comfort level of where we travel. I remember watching a reality show on t.v. about some young black college kids (college hill). They went on a camping trip in Georgia somewhere. They were the only blacks at this campground. When they went to eat the tension was so thick in the room with all the whites staring at them. Of course confederate flags were everywhere. Then they were litereally ran off by someone shooting a gun off to scare them. Some redneck who felt threatened by their presence. He said something like if they gonna mess wit me imma mess wit dem. These kids hadn't done crap to him!

So yeah we don't wanna be in the back woods of Georgia for vacation, lol.

 
Old 08-13-2008, 02:38 PM
 
1,271 posts, read 3,653,676 times
Reputation: 583



Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingaway View Post
I disagree too. I am a young black women and take offense to some of the comments above particularly that black people spend their money on rims and materialistic items. I am an educated black women as well with a Masters level education . It's funny how people continually stereotype races. I have travelled to many places including Peru, Bolivia and many many states in the United States. I grew up with white people and love to travel. Would it be fair if I said all white people buy expensive houses and can't furnish them??
 
Old 08-13-2008, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Pacifica, California
103 posts, read 338,563 times
Reputation: 28
Birds of a feather fly together. Ripley
 
Old 08-13-2008, 07:42 PM
 
1,383 posts, read 3,058,855 times
Reputation: 1267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bund View Post
Which Disney World did you visit? I didn't see a lot of Asians when I visited Orlando last month.
The one in Orlando. Most of the Asian's were the workers. We got to know some of the workers real well as we had a long conversation with them. The day we were there, they had a lot of storms, so the rides were off and on all day. At one point, we were at the front of the line for a ride where all the workers are and then they shut down all the rides until the lightning was gone. So we had about a 45 minute conversation with them and they were all from Japan.
 
Old 08-14-2008, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Alabama!
5,849 posts, read 15,935,833 times
Reputation: 4348
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
Also wanted to speak on the comfort level of where we travel. I remember watching a reality show on t.v. about some young black college kids (college hill). They went on a camping trip in Georgia somewhere. They were the only blacks at this campground. When they went to eat the tension was so thick in the room with all the whites staring at them. Of course confederate flags were everywhere. Then they were litereally ran off by someone shooting a gun off to scare them. Some redneck who felt threatened by their presence. He said something like if they gonna mess wit me imma mess wit dem. These kids hadn't done crap to him!

So yeah we don't wanna be in the back woods of Georgia for vacation, lol.
Don't believe everything you see on TV - even reality TV.
 
Old 08-15-2008, 11:59 AM
 
480 posts, read 2,114,769 times
Reputation: 375
Of COURSE black people travel ... I think, however, the emphasis on traveling for black folks tends to be one where family and/or close social connections are a major focus.

In my profession, I do not see black folks doing a lot of adventure travel. I do, however, see lots of travel to conventions, social get-togethers, music festivals, et al.
 
Old 08-15-2008, 12:27 PM
 
356 posts, read 1,153,046 times
Reputation: 219
Default me either..wtf?!

what a loon that persona was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgator View Post
I dont agree with any of these comments. I am black and have travelled all over the world and so have my family and friends. I have been to non black places like Austria and Luxemburg and never felt uncomfortable. I have never felt unwelcomed at a national park even in places far away from my "community" like when I went to Denali on my birthday or Crater Lake last year. I also love cruises and hanging out by the beach....I was raised in Florida, it is in my blood. And I also love to stay at hotels. I will be staying at The W in Seattle this weekend with my friend. Race is not a factor when it comes to where I will vacation.
 
Old 08-16-2008, 02:15 PM
 
146 posts, read 580,057 times
Reputation: 106
Of course some black people travel by plane and stay at hotels but of a hundred people on the plane and at the airport hotel maybe two are black. (not the 1 of 12 they are in the population)

No one has really explained why!
 
Old 08-16-2008, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Columbia Maryland
333 posts, read 922,008 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
Many of my Black friends and I have talked about this very issue (few Blacks at Tourist sites) Here are there observations:

African Americans are more likely to travel to see family by car than fly

Because African Americans could not stay in hotels until 40 years ago, there is less of a generational disposition to travel and tourism

Blacks are more likely to spend their money on material goods than travel, cultural events or education.

Blacks do not feel welcome at National Parks and historical sites, so they do not attend

Few Black cruise because it is marketed to whites and blacks do not like beaches and laying out in the sun.

Many Blacks feel more comfortable in their own community and do not like to travel by air or stay at hotels because it takes them to places they may not feel comfortable that are dominated by white people.
------------
These are the comments from my Black friends, do you agree?
I love to travel so much that I joined YTB and sell travel on the side. A lot of my customers are African-American and are very well traveled.

Just because you don't see people on your trip does not mean that people do not like to travel.

Have you studied African-American travel habbits by economic or class break down and have data to support your feeling?
 
Old 08-17-2008, 12:37 AM
 
Location: Kauai, HI
1,041 posts, read 4,034,345 times
Reputation: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornfan22 View Post
The one in Orlando. Most of the Asian's were the workers. We got to know some of the workers real well as we had a long conversation with them. The day we were there, they had a lot of storms, so the rides were off and on all day. At one point, we were at the front of the line for a ride where all the workers are and then they shut down all the rides until the lightning was gone. So we had about a 45 minute conversation with them and they were all from Japan.

A bunch of my friends from Japan explained to me that working in WDW was considered a respectable job (even if you are just a greeter or something...) and competition is tough to get these jobs. There is a lot of competition for these jobs, mainly between those that want a fun job (and Japanese LOVE Disney!) and want to hone their english skills.

Anyways I wanted to mention that as a hotel employee in Kauai, we rarely see African Americans, however I do believe more go to Oahu than the outer islands...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top