U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2008, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Norcross GA
983 posts, read 4,096,775 times
Reputation: 461

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
Of course some black people travel by plane and stay at hotels but of a hundred people on the plane and at the airport hotel maybe two are black. (not the 1 of 12 they are in the population)

No one has really explained why!

Well maybe they just not traveling to the places you like to go . I'm sure we not flying out of Oregon!

 
Old 08-17-2008, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Norcross GA
983 posts, read 4,096,775 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Don't believe everything you see on TV - even reality TV.

I lived in Georgia and did real estate and some areas were kinda scary to me too! So it is my reality too and it wasn't a camp site.
 
Old 08-18-2008, 05:07 PM
 
3 posts, read 7,418 times
Reputation: 13
i WOULD LOVE TO SAY THAT I AM A MIDDLE CLASS BLACK FEMALE WHO TRAVEL SO MUCH THAT I AM GETTING TRIED OF IT. EXPECT I LOVE TO CRUISE I TAKE THEM ONCE A YEAR WITH FRIENDS OR FAMILY WHOM EVER I CAN GET TO GO WITH ME. WE DO NOT JUST SPEND OUR MONEY ON RIMS WE LOVE TO TRAVEL AND SPEND TIME WITH OUR FAMILY AND FREINDS AND MY BOYFRIEND AND FRIENDS LOVE THE BEACH.
 
Old 08-18-2008, 09:47 PM
 
Location: mass
2,905 posts, read 6,578,342 times
Reputation: 4979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingaway View Post
Would it be fair if I said all white people buy expensive houses and can't furnish them??
LOL! I know several people (who just so happen to be white) with expensive houses, HUGE, expensive houses, with rooms with no furniture in them!
Black people don't do this, too??
I find this point hilarious.
 
Old 08-19-2008, 10:27 AM
 
240 posts, read 1,210,162 times
Reputation: 243
I disagree with these comments as well. I am a young African American female who has travelled all over as well. I'm sorry Oregon transplant but you have been misinformed. Whenever I travel I always travel by plane it is the best way to travel in my opinion. It is fast and safe. I also stay in hotels and frequent parks/ museums on the regular. And of course African Americans travel to NYC,DC,Las Vegas,Bahamas, and Aruba these are some of the most popular cities that all tourists visit. And as far as your comment about blacks not liking the beach that is untrue as well. I go to the beach a couple of times a year but you will not find me laying out in the sun. African Americans don't need to lay out in the sun we have already been given a beautiful NATURAL TAN.
 
Old 08-20-2008, 10:57 AM
 
11,992 posts, read 17,510,494 times
Reputation: 6088
Quote:
Blacks do not feel welcome at National Parks and historical sites, so they do not attend
Why is that? Are the bears going to eat them instead of me?
 
Old 08-20-2008, 02:32 PM
 
146 posts, read 580,475 times
Reputation: 106
Default Exceptions to the rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpe View Post
I disagree with these comments as well. I am a young African American female who has travelled all over as well. I'm sorry Oregon transplant but you have been misinformed. Whenever I travel I always travel by plane it is the best way to travel in my opinion. It is fast and safe. I also stay in hotels and frequent parks/ museums on the regular. And of course African Americans travel to NYC,DC,Las Vegas,Bahamas, and Aruba these are some of the most popular cities that all tourists visit. And as far as your comment about blacks not liking the beach that is untrue as well. I go to the beach a couple of times a year but you will not find me laying out in the sun. African Americans don't need to lay out in the sun we have already been given a beautiful NATURAL TAN.

I knew when I wrote this post that there would be a share of people in denial. I knew there would be two types of posters. The first would know of a Black Person who loved to travel and had been all over the place. The second would be an actual Black Traveler who will maintain that they had been all over the world. Well good for you. These are exceptions not the rule.

I asked a flight attendant friend of mine about it and she says in the thousands of flights she has been on out of her New Jersey base only 1% of the passengers are Black.

WHY?
 
Old 08-22-2008, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Fayetteville, NC
14 posts, read 45,465 times
Reputation: 23
Most resort places are all about one color: green. They don't care about your race they just want the money and if you have a lot of it they'll kiss your butt something good.

I travel by plane a lot and I see black people on the planes too.
 
Old 08-22-2008, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Orlando
8,178 posts, read 16,556,151 times
Reputation: 49786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
I knew when I wrote this post that there would be a share of people in denial. I knew there would be two types of posters. The first would know of a Black Person who loved to travel and had been all over the place. The second would be an actual Black Traveler who will maintain that they had been all over the world. Well good for you. These are exceptions not the rule.

I asked a flight attendant friend of mine about it and she says in the thousands of flights she has been on out of her New Jersey base only 1% of the passengers are Black.

WHY?
You have actually been given the answer in many different ways. It's probably just not what you want to hear so your not seeing it.

The majority of the population is white so that is what you see. So unless you're looking for something else, that's all there is to it.

And FYI, there is only one disney world and it's in Orlando.
 
Old 10-26-2008, 12:35 AM
 
1 posts, read 3,910 times
Reputation: 12
I don't find the generalization that black people don't travel often offensive, and I think there may be some degree of validity to the observation, but I think there it is probably more complex than that. I think your observations may have been skewed by both your mode of travel and your destination. Flying is still a relatively expensive way to travel, and black peoople on average are still generally less wealthy than the average white American. Therefore, it stands to reason that black people when making traveling plans are more likely to opt for driving, or taking a bus, than flying--my own experience is that there generally isn't a dearth of black people at the greyhound station. After serving a stint in the military, going to college in Hawaii while my family lived in Atlanta, and now having a job that requires a number of domestic and overseas trips each year, I have done more than my fair share of traveling and I almost always see a proportionate amount of black travelers in airports and aboard the plane . However, I have noticed that there are often relatively few blacks at airports in cities with a relatively small black population (e.g. seattle, san francisco, boise, el paso, pheonix, etc...) and at smaller regional air ports (e.g. monterey)--I think this last observation has to do with the fact that tickets in and out of these smaller airports are generally more expensive. With regards to low presence of blacks at national parks I think it is probably due to a combinatgion of reasons. First, you probably have to look at where the majority of these parks are--generally parts of the country with relatively few blacks, meaning that there probably aren't alot of black people taking short day trips to these places. Secondly, since black people grow up in urban areas at a rate much higher than whites, there is probably comparatively less interest in natural sites (this is a generalization---and one that is not based on empirical evidence but an a priori assumption). With regards to museums I think once again your observations may be due to a number of factors. From the few things I've read about the subject, it looks like blacks generally don't visit museums at the same rates as whites. However, I think it would be interesting how the picture would look if you controlled for income. I think its a pretty reasonable assumption that those with little money probably visit museums less often than the midlle and upper classes. If this is true, considering that blacks are disproportionately poorer than whites, then it stands to reason that blacks on average would visit museums less. I think "sampling bias" may also exaggerate this imbalance to the casual white observer. By this I mean, while blacks equal 13% of the overall national population, in most cases a city either has a very large black population (>25%) or a fairly negligble one(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top