U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 04:55 AM

1,435 posts, read 3,578,272 times

Advertisements

The last time I traveled which was a Delta airlines flight from Phoenix to Orlando, I saw only 2 black people on the entire plane. So yeah black people on average don't travel by plane at the same high rate that white people do.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:20 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,343,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingaway View Post
I Would it be fair if I said all white people buy expensive houses and can't furnish them??
No, Not unless you included that we all: wear LL Bean, Dockers and Lands' End clothes like they were uniforms. And that we all have to have the biggest BBQ grill in the subdivision. And we drive SUVs And... And... And...

Old 10-28-2008, 11:44 AM

3,849 posts, read 6,768,548 times
Hey "Oregon"- well, I am black and I have to agree that I don't see many other black tourists. It depends on the attraction, I suppose.
I travel very often for work and absolutely love to visit attractions, museums, historic sites, etc. In fact, my friends sometimes tease me and always ask "ok, where are you going now?"- I have been to many states, as well as Australia and Iceland. (which there were very few blacks in either place!), but I enjoy life and love to travel.
Maybe I'll see you out there somewhere!
p.s.- Where in Oregon do you live? I have worked in Portland and visited the Columbia River Gorge area!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
Why is being a tourist so uncommon among the African American Community? I understand that the Middle to Upper Class African American population of America is booming but they seem to be spending their money on something other than travel.

I travel in my job and see Airports and Hotels all over the country. I rarely see Black people on Airplanes or at Hotels. (yes there are some but maybe 1%)

When I travel to scenic areas, parks and museums I rarely see Black people. When I go to historic sites I do not see any black people.

Why is this true?

Old 10-28-2008, 08:21 PM

884 posts, read 2,364,747 times
Oregon has gotten PLENTY of answers and it seems like he/she is looking for something specific. Why do you care if, how and when we travel? Do Asians travel? Do Mexicans travel? Sheez..

Out of 300 million Americans-we are 12% of the population. Some of us 1. Don't want to travel 2. Haven't been exposed to traveling as a 'hobby'. 3. Can't afford to 4. Don't have jobs that require traveling or pay enough to travel.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:59 PM

826 posts, read 2,786,016 times
African Americans are only 13% of the US population and disproportionately poor to boot. Poor people do not have extra money to spend on vacations. I am African American , love to travel and spends a decent amount of money doing so. Frequently when flying overseas I am the only African Americans in Business Class, as my husband is not African American. When flying domestically there are most of us in First Class.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:23 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,977,460 times
I think it's largely the laws of probability based on the population percentage.

This may also go back several generations to when blacks weren't welcome much of anywhere; thus, the any desire to travel and curiosity to see more of the world was not passed down or encouraged. They also tend to be a little more closer-knit with their families, which really does affect their priorities. Especially in the lower-income group.

Would an Afro-American out there confirm if this is true, or is my thinking wrong?

Old 10-29-2008, 10:56 PM

47,980 posts, read 45,443,916 times
I think I might have an answer. Part of why so few African-Americans travel is because many feel like they might not be welcome to go to certain places. That is the only other reason I can think of other than money. Some don't feel encouraged to travel. I don't travel because it costs to much. I don't even have a passport. If I had the money I would get one and then save money for a trip. Many African-Americans go to place like the Caribbean due to a feeling of comfort. Alot of African-Americans want to go to places in which they feel like they are represented or at least there are more people like them. Many blacks feel that if there are hardly any blacks there to start with, they won't be welcome, or at least comfortable. Whenever I hear of Black Americans going to Europe, the main cities I hear of are London or Paris, which have large black populations

Old 10-30-2008, 06:33 AM

3,849 posts, read 6,768,548 times
"Pirate"- Hey there! I slightly disagree with you, I think the major factor(for lots of people-regardless of race) is money, but I also think lack of interest could be to blame?
I'm black, but I LOVE to travel, I visit many different attractions and museums, etc. I don't let "being unwelcome" or being one of few(sometimes only) blacks in that area stop me from enjoying the many beautiful and interesting sights in our country. I definately think you should get a passport right away! even if you don't plan to use it soon, Once you have it, the world opens up to you!
I think we ALL should travel, all races, colors, etc. there's too much to see out there! even if it's just a long road trip, you can plot areas that are close together, like Nevada and Arizona, for example, and select a few sites in both places. Do little bits at a time! I'm working in Boston right now, so I have easy access to 6 states! and NYC is only 4 hrs away!
I'm originally from CO, and when I get back home, I plan to take a drive up to S. Dakota to see Mt. Rushmore and maybe a few other things in the area, just spend a night there.
So it's possible to see things without a huge amount of money. Everything will cost more in this economy, so IMO, you may as well get out there and see as much you can! That's what I do!
Happy Travels, everyone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I think I might have an answer. Part of why so few African-Americans travel is because many feel like they might not be welcome to go to certain places. That is the only other reason I can think of other than money. Some don't feel encouraged to travel. I don't travel because it costs to much. I don't even have a passport. If I had the money I would get one and then save money for a trip. Many African-Americans go to place like the Caribbean due to a feeling of comfort. Alot of African-Americans want to go to places in which they feel like they are represented or at least there are more people like them. Many blacks feel that if there are hardly any blacks there to start with, they won't be welcome, or at least comfortable. Whenever I hear of Black Americans going to Europe, the main cities I hear of are London or Paris, which have large black populations

Old 10-30-2008, 12:37 PM

884 posts, read 2,364,747 times
Sports.

Do you think the OP has a "genuine" interest in why we don't travel as much as others?.. To me I find questions like this somewhat annoying--as if ALL of us have the same reasons for why we do (or don't) do things.

Like you I am a middle class, educated black female. I LOVE to travel and explore but it took a while before HU and I could afford to go beyond the average car trip. I noticed that as a couple we used to hop in the car and go to different cities (within a days drive) and some people I knew had never left the city they were born in. To me you can find people like this in ANY ethnic group--but most importantly it is about class and education levels.

Personally, I lived in a predominately white suburb for years and when I travel I am not looking to go someplace like Sweden where I may stick out or get weird looks.. To me travel is supposed to be relaxing and I'm not relaxed in situations like that. Some areas still harrass black travelers (airport searches..etc).

Old 10-30-2008, 01:47 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,880,155 times
From what I have observed form friends that are blacks styill concentrate traveling to see relative much like everypone did in the 50's.Family reunions are very big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel