U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 02:15 PM

47,980 posts, read 45,443,916 times

Advertisements

I do have a genuine interest to travel. My only reason for not doing so is money. That is it. I know it would be a good idea to get a passport. At the present time I am just concerned with getting a job. Otherwise I would have traveled to these places at least: Japan, UK, France, Switerland, Germany, Austria, China,etc.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:18 PM

3,849 posts, read 6,769,121 times
Hi 'Blue"- I disagree that you would get weird looks in places like Sweden, I traveled to Iceland, where I saw only a few blacks ( maybe 5, incl. myself!) but I did not receive any strange looks. In fact, I was treated way better there than in many parts of the US.
I'm not sure of the OP reasons for specifically asking about Black travelers, because that's not something I notice.
I do agree that all people have different reasons for doing things, and that some people, any race, never venture out to explore their own cities or towns, much less venturing out of state or country.
I haven't gotten any noticeable harrassment from the airlines, though, I'm sorry if you have. I think if you had more of an openness toward places like Sweden, or other Scandinavian countries, you would be quite surprised to see how progressvie they are and that the typical racial tensions that are alive and well here in the US aren't as commonplace there. Not to say it doesn't exist, but I'm almost positive you would have a wonderful, relaxing vacation!
Did something bad happen to you on a vacation that makes you feel leery of certain places?
I can tell you I would much rather go to Sweden than Mississippi!! ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
Sports.

Do you think the OP has a "genuine" interest in why we don't travel as much as others?.. To me I find questions like this somewhat annoying--as if ALL of us have the same reasons for why we do (or don't) do things.

Like you I am a middle class, educated black female. I LOVE to travel and explore but it took a while before HU and I could afford to go beyond the average car trip. I noticed that as a couple we used to hop in the car and go to different cities (within a days drive) and some people I knew had never left the city they were born in. To me you can find people like this in ANY ethnic group--but most importantly it is about class and education levels.

Personally, I lived in a predominately white suburb for years and when I travel I am not looking to go someplace like Sweden where I may stick out or get weird looks.. To me travel is supposed to be relaxing and I'm not relaxed in situations like that. Some areas still harrass black travelers (airport searches..etc).

Old 10-30-2008, 02:20 PM

Hey "pirate"-don't give up! you can still do it! You can start with the UK, and work eastward from there! ha!
I understand completely about the money, I'd love to have more to travel with, but it helps that I am single, no kids, no bf, etc. and I have a job where I can travel all through the US.
Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I do have a genuine interest to travel. My only reason for not doing so is money. That is it. I know it would be a good idea to get a passport. At the present time I am just concerned with getting a job. Otherwise I would have traveled to these places at least: Japan, UK, France, Switerland, Germany, Austria, China,etc.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:25 PM

47,980 posts, read 45,443,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
Hey "pirate"-don't give up! you can still do it! You can start with the UK, and work eastward from there! ha!
I understand completely about the money, I'd love to have more to travel with, but it helps that I am single, no kids, no bf, etc. and I have a job where I can travel all through the US.
Good luck!
I'm not giving up. I'm only 22. I still have time to save up. I am optimistic that I could see other places one day. What kind of job do you do that involves travel?

Old 10-30-2008, 02:36 PM

hey "pirate"- I am a travel mri tech (same concept as travel nursing). I work for 3 or more months a time in different cities across the US, currently in Boston.(4th time!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I'm not giving up. I'm only 22. I still have time to save up. I am optimistic that I could see other places one day. What kind of job do you do that involves travel?

Old 10-31-2008, 02:57 PM

884 posts, read 2,364,747 times
Just hearsay--as far as harassment when traveling.

I will tell you that I cannot stand to be cold. Anyplace that is cold--I have absolutely NO interest in going to. That rules out many places. I want to go to: Italy, Paris, Amsterdam, China, Japan, and of course the tropical islands... maybe Africa.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:36 AM

"bigblue" - yes, some people have an aversion to colder climates. I am just the opposite, I can't stand hot or humid places, I could never live in a place like AZ, NV, FL. I am from CO so cold weather doesn't bother me and I prefer it. Not to say I would visit a colder place during their coldest months, and vice versa with hot places. You could visit a cold place during their warmest times of year. which on the downside, is sometimes the most expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
Just hearsay--as far as harassment when traveling.

I will tell you that I cannot stand to be cold. Anyplace that is cold--I have absolutely NO interest in going to. That rules out many places. I want to go to: Italy, Paris, Amsterdam, China, Japan, and of course the tropical islands... maybe Africa.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:57 PM

324 posts, read 772,815 times
Funny I'm black and have been to Europe, Australia, and the Caribbean and have never seen you?

Old 11-04-2008, 06:24 PM

6,473 posts, read 13,943,434 times
Don't be cranky, gf. I think that in general whites have more money than blacks, so they travel more. The balance of wealth moved from the Americas, Africa, Asia etc. to Europe because of the wars several hundred years ago that were waged to conquer the "new" world. The Europeans won; hence the world we have today.

Also, as someone mentioned, in the US we blacks are 12% of the population.

12% is pretty small.

In addition to the whole “conquistador” thing, the American social programs after the depression gave many people with European ancestry a big helping hand out of poverty. Sadly, the uneven application of those programs means that the black Americans who helped to build the country did not enjoy the same degree of help. By and large, even when they could find a job, black families did not earn enough to have large savings to ensure the financial security of future generations. Having money makes it easier for people to travel.

It's kind of the same reason that American and European countries have such generous social programs: they can afford to.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:28 PM

55,644 posts, read 74,585,953 times
bek they have learned just like me, you dont blow money in hard times and they are comin guna happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel