U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 06:45 AM

3,849 posts, read 6,770,307 times

Advertisements

"crankygf" - I was in Australia in 2005, I looked for you!! Ha! I was surprised to find very few blacks in Sydney, I mean like less than 5 in a city the size of Sydney!! I'm going on a cruise to parts of the W. Caribbean in Dec, I'll try to find you!
Haven't been to europe yet, but that's my next goal. esp. Eastern Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankygf View Post
Funny I'm black and have been to Europe, Australia, and the Caribbean and have never seen you?

Old 11-05-2008, 05:50 PM

324 posts, read 772,947 times
Sportsfangal... I went and visited with my uncle who's lived there for years. We were walking through a mall in Sydney with another 2 other Black guys. We felt like movie stars everyone was looking at us...I guess they never saw so many in one place before. But it wasn't a negative experience, on the contrary people were extremely friendly. I'd move there in a second..

Old 11-08-2008, 02:02 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,405,103 times
Of the many, many black people I know, one has any interest in traveling internationally.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:06 AM

Me too! I didn't want to leave! Australia is just so incredible. everything was awesome to me! the exotic fruit juices, the "chips", which are basically french fries, but they were sooooo good! and having tea and "bickies" (short for biscuits, or what we would call a scone)
I asked an Aussie friend of mine how I would be treated in Aus. being black, he said, "you won't have any problems!" And he was right! I even got several dates during my trip!
Aussies are Awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankygf View Post
Sportsfangal... I went and visited with my uncle who's lived there for years. We were walking through a mall in Sydney with another 2 other Black guys. We felt like movie stars everyone was looking at us...I guess they never saw so many in one place before. But it wasn't a negative experience, on the contrary people were extremely friendly. I'd move there in a second..

Old 11-10-2008, 07:09 AM

"JHG", interest is what I think is one of the top reasons (aside from money) that blacks may not travel as much. I go to places that I know my black friends wouldn't even consider if they had the money. places like Iceland, Russia, Estonia, etc. Places that I am very interested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Of the many, many black people I know, one has any interest in traveling internationally.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
"JHG", interest is what I think is one of the top reasons (aside from money) that blacks may not travel as much. I go to places that I know my black friends wouldn't even consider if they had the money. places like Iceland, Russia, Estonia, etc. Places that I am very interested in.
Yup. That pretty much sums it up.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:04 PM

8,262 posts, read 16,369,126 times
They've got $300. Airline ticket or Air Jordans? Most would take the Air Jordans. Sound bad? Yes. Sound wrong? NO.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:14 PM

You're right "Capt", I would spend 300.00 on a flight and hotel in Vegas, baby!!! but can't tell you what I would do there.........
(I see your point loud and clear! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
They've got $300. Airline ticket or Air Jordans? Most would take the Air Jordans. Sound bad? Yes. Sound wrong? NO.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:15 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,490,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
Considering the average Black Person is not flying all over the world with a Masters Degree (nor is the typical White Person!!), I would hope to hear from middle class working class black folk to get their perspective.
Hey, I'm Black but British and I have met a lot of Black Americans who were more working/middle class without masters, some living hand to mouth , but would save for a vacation mainly cruises. In fact I'm not a fan of cruises but when I lived in the US, and went on a cruise, you know it's one of them that talked me into it. Favorite destination seems to be Jamaica, Bahamas, US Virgin Islands and Aruba. At the same time I have met Black Americans all over Europe and South America on vacation.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Hey, I'm Black but British and I have met a lot of Black Americans who were more working/middle class without masters, some living hand to mouth , but would save for a vacation mainly cruises. In fact I'm not a fan of cruises but when I lived in the US, and went on a cruise, you know it's one of them that talked me into it. Favorite destination seems to be Jamaica, Bahamas, US Virgin Islands and Aruba. At the same time I have met Black Americans all over Europe and South America on vacation.
The whole point is not that they don't 'exist', it's that the majority do not have any interest in travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel