Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 12:40 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,693,361 times

Advertisements

great comment "JHG"!! I wish we didn't have to be concerned about skin color, but the sad fact is, everyone will always have something to say about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
A year in which more people are concerned with the skin color of the next president rather than his character and abilities...

Old 11-17-2008, 12:45 PM

I think the original poster asked a simple question about why he noticed a lack of black tourists on various trips he went on. I tried to give feedback IMO of why I thought so.
I'm black and I travel all the time. I don't let my skin color stop me from enjoying many different parts of this and other countries. I can see how it was a strange question, but there have been stranger things asked on this forum.
It seems you and I have travelled extensively, and that's awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
This whole topic seems a bit foolish.

Why so much interest in what "Black people do" or don't do?

As a Black woman that has been to several different countries, I never even considered that travel was something other Black people don't do.

Most of my friends and relatives are world travelers. Race has nothing to do with the desire to see other places.
I wish this fascination that seems to be dipped in racist chatter would stop.

Air Jordans versus a plane ticket? Just ridiculous that someone would even post that.

What year are we in?

Old 11-17-2008, 08:09 PM

754 posts, read 1,449,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
This whole topic seems a bit foolish.

Why so much interest in what "Black people do" or don't do?

As a Black woman that has been to several different countries, I never even considered that travel was something other Black people don't do.

Most of my friends and relatives are world travelers. Race has nothing to do with the desire to see other places.
I wish this fascination that seems to be dipped in racist chatter would stop.

Air Jordans versus a plane ticket? Just ridiculous that someone would even post that.

What year are we in?

I have to agree, I did find it a rather odd question to ask. Personally, I travel quite often and I see Black people everywhere I go (Paris is my favorite). While it may be true that we may not go to the places typically frequented by other races, we definitely travel. To imply otherwise is incredibly offensive.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:39 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyinLa View Post
I have to agree, I did find it a rather odd question to ask. Personally, I travel quite often and I see Black people everywhere I go (Paris is my favorite). While it may be true that we may not go to the places typically frequented by other races, we definitely travel. To imply otherwise is incredibly offensive.
-Not an odd question at all
-You're more likely to notice your own race
-How is that offensive?

Old 11-18-2008, 07:36 PM

884 posts, read 2,642,395 times
Here is a article it's old though:
A benchmark study of habits and patterns of African-American consumers shows that 61% are travelers, taking 77.8 million person-trips annually, while 70% travel mostly by auto or truck or rental vehicles.

One striking difference was that Blacks traveled 9% on buses compared to 2% for Whites. Air travel at 16% was almost similar to the White rate of 17%. Majority of U.S. blacks are travelers, study says - report by the Travel Industry Association - Brief Article | Jet | Find Articles at BNET

What is "offensive" is when a person ask a "why don't black people x, y, z", AND then after being given a multitude of answers. They come back and act like no one gave them a answer. I grew up around these types and I know exactly what he/she is doing.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:43 PM

Sportsfangal,
Is the OP even posting here anymore?. It just makes no sense in this day and age why the OP needs to ask this on a message board. All he/she has to do is ask the best black friend that they have and I am sure that answer would suffice. Something seems very "ungenuine" about this question because he got multiple answers.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:42 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
Sportsfangal,
Is the OP even posting here anymore?. It just makes no sense in this day and age why the OP needs to ask this on a message board. All he/she has to do is ask the best black friend that they have and I am sure that answer would suffice. Something seems very "ungenuine" about this question because he got multiple answers.
Okay, now that was just rude.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:12 AM

right, I actually lost sight of the original poster? they must have given up, oh well, they must not have wanted to stick around for the opinions of the rest of us.
when I travel, by air or bus or whatever, I notice other races, obviuosly, but I don't dig deeper by wondering "why aren't there more black people on this flight, at this museum, etc"? It's just not something I think about that much.
I do see that some of the monuments or towns/cities I am interested in, there tends to not be as many or any blacks at all. I'm not sure why that is (interest level, I guess), but I don't sit there and really think enough about it to create a thread on CD!!
"ask his best black friend"!! that's funny and so true!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
Sportsfangal,

Old 11-19-2008, 07:16 AM

hi Pirate! missed ya! I don't think it was rude, I can see the point "blue" was trying to make, I think he was trying to figure out why the OP posted his question ages ago, then never responded back again.
btw- i'm going on a cruise in 10 days!!!!!!!!!!!!! should I count how many blacks I see and report that back here??? (now that was a joke, pirate!!-inteded for the OP!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Okay, now that was just rude.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:57 PM

I'm a girl : )

pirate--
And NO it was not rude or meant to be. In this day and age stop being so uptight and make some friends with people from different cultures and then one won't need to come to a message board and ask "why" questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel