Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2008, 07:15 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
"JHG", interest is what I think is one of the top reasons (aside from money) that blacks may not travel as much. I go to places that I know my black friends wouldn't even consider if they had the money. places like Iceland, Russia, Estonia, etc. Places that I am very interested in.
I am not trying to deter your interest in traveling, but I would think very hard before traveling to Russia. The reason I say this is because there is alot of racialized violence in Russia right now and alot of people of African descent(as well as Asians, people from the Caucasus region, Middle Easterners,etc.) have often become victims of racial violence in Russia. The police almost never do anything about it and in some cases the police antagonize foreigners. Alot of people have died from attacks from Neo-Nazi skinheads in Russia. I am not saying this problem doesn't exist in Western Europe because it does. The difference is that in western Europe, the police actually do something about it such as prosecuting people who committ such heinous acts. If you are of African descent, Russia isn't a safe country to travel to in most cases(as well as difficult to get into the country for most people). I once thought about traveling to Russia myself when I was younger. When I started reading reports about skinhead attacks in Russia and even a youtube video showing skinheads attacking people inside a subway, I pretty much questioned going. I would just think very hard about this.
As for Iceland and Estonia, those countries seem very interesting to travel to. If you can, you might want to see if you can get amber.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:53 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,769 times
I've never noticed. I guess I don't pay attention to people's color when traveling.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:04 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
Why is being a tourist so uncommon among the African American Community? I understand that the Middle to Upper Class African American population of America is booming but they seem to be spending their money on something other than travel.

I travel in my job and see Airports and Hotels all over the country. I rarely see Black people on Airplanes or at Hotels. (yes there are some but maybe 1%)

When I travel to scenic areas, parks and museums I rarely see Black people. When I go to historic sites I do not see any black people.

Why is this true?
I don't know. But when I talk to every single black person, I'll ask them why and get back to you.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:49 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,693,361 times
long time, no hear pirate! - I watched a travel show and they showed a brief segment on Lativa, and they also have amber! how interesting you mention that! they were in Riga, and visiting street vendors selling amber.
I realize al types of violence exists, I guess I would try to be careful about the places I visited, and especially after the recent conflicts with Georgia. But you could run into skinheads here in the US, there's plenty of racial violence that goes on every day here.
I'm just saying that I wouldn't necessarily let that stop me from visiting a place. I would of course be careful and research the trip beforehand. Perhaps stay at a luxury, all-inclusive spa!??!!

But, seriously, I understand what you mean. I highly recommend Iceland! I can't say anything bad about my experience there, in fact, I am planning to visit again next summer. I even have a friend there I made from my last visit. Perhaps I'll take a detour to Greenland!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I am not trying to deter your interest in traveling, but I would think very hard before traveling to Russia. The reason I say this is because there is alot of racialized violence in Russia right now and alot of people of African descent(as well as Asians, people from the Caucasus region, Middle Easterners,etc.) have often become victims of racial violence in Russia. The police almost never do anything about it and in some cases the police antagonize foreigners. Alot of people have died from attacks from Neo-Nazi skinheads in Russia. I am not saying this problem doesn't exist in Western Europe because it does. The difference is that in western Europe, the police actually do something about it such as prosecuting people who committ such heinous acts. If you are of African descent, Russia isn't a safe country to travel to in most cases(as well as difficult to get into the country for most people). I once thought about traveling to Russia myself when I was younger. When I started reading reports about skinhead attacks in Russia and even a youtube video showing skinheads attacking people inside a subway, I pretty much questioned going. I would just think very hard about this.
As for Iceland and Estonia, those countries seem very interesting to travel to. If you can, you might want to see if you can get amber.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
long time, no hear pirate! - I watched a travel show and they showed a brief segment on Lativa, and they also have amber! how interesting you mention that! they were in Riga, and visiting street vendors selling amber.
I realize al types of violence exists, I guess I would try to be careful about the places I visited, and especially after the recent conflicts with Georgia. But you could run into skinheads here in the US, there's plenty of racial violence that goes on every day here.
I'm just saying that I wouldn't necessarily let that stop me from visiting a place. I would of course be careful and research the trip beforehand. Perhaps stay at a luxury, all-inclusive spa!??!!

But, seriously, I understand what you mean. I highly recommend Iceland! I can't say anything bad about my experience there, in fact, I am planning to visit again next summer. I even have a friend there I made from my last visit. Perhaps I'll take a detour to Greenland!!

Did you watch Globe Trekker? I also saw a segment on Latvia and buying amber from a vendor in Riga, once known as the Paris of the Baltic.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:21 PM

Yes!!!! that's where I saw it! I looove that show! I wish it came on more often, and I love Ian! he's so crazy and funny!
Did you see the one where Megan went to Dubai? another place I'm interested in but mucho dinero needed! wow! I think Australia's cheaper!!

Quote:
Did you watch Globe Trekker? I also saw a segment on Latvia and buying amber from a vendor in Riga, once known as the Paris of the Baltic.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Yes!!!! that's where I saw it! I looove that show! I wish it came on more often, and I love Ian! he's so crazy and funny!
Did you see the one where Megan went to Dubai? another place I'm interested in but mucho dinero needed! wow! I think Australia's cheaper!!

I saw that episode. That would be expensive. A friend told me that Dubia is one place that few people would care if you were black or white because the main thing people worry about it money.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:07 PM

right! I bet all they care about is GREEN!!!

Quote:
I saw that episode. That would be expensive. A friend told me that Dubia is one place that few people would care if you were black or white because the main thing people worry about it money.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:55 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
This whole topic seems a bit foolish.

Why so much interest in what "Black people do" or don't do?

As a Black woman that has been to several different countries, I never even considered that travel was something other Black people don't do.

Most of my friends and relatives are world travelers. Race has nothing to do with the desire to see other places.
I wish this fascination that seems to be dipped in racist chatter would stop.

Air Jordans versus a plane ticket? Just ridiculous that someone would even post that.

What year are we in?

Old 11-14-2008, 03:13 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
This whole topic seems a bit foolish.

Why so much interest in what "Black people do" or don't do?

As a Black woman that has been to several different countries, I never even considered that travel was something other Black people don't do.

Most of my friends and relatives are world travelers. Race has nothing to do with the desire to see other places.
I wish this fascination that seems to be dipped in racist chatter would stop.

Air Jordans versus a plane ticket? Just ridiculous that someone would even post that.

What year are we in?
A year in which more people are concerned with the skin color of the next president rather than his character and abilities...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel