U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-11-2008, 06:52 AM
 
146 posts, read 579,989 times
Reputation: 106

Advertisements

Why is being a tourist so uncommon among the African American Community? I understand that the Middle to Upper Class African American population of America is booming but they seem to be spending their money on something other than travel.

I travel in my job and see Airports and Hotels all over the country. I rarely see Black people on Airplanes or at Hotels. (yes there are some but maybe 1%)

When I travel to scenic areas, parks and museums I rarely see Black people. When I go to historic sites I do not see any black people.

Why is this true?

 
Old 08-11-2008, 07:26 AM
 
96 posts, read 226,391 times
Reputation: 142
I've noticed the same thing. Last year I went to Colorado Springs and did'nt see one black person the whole time I was there. Also visited the Treasure Coast of Florida same deal. But when I thought about and looked at US Census figures it made sense. Blacks are only 12% of the US population and the vast majority either live in the Deep South- Alabama, Mississippi, etc. or live in a major city like NYC or DC. I live in Missouri and most black people here are either in Kansas City or St. Louis. Talking to black people I know I've noticed when they travel they tend to frequent places with a sizeable black population. I guess its a comfort and safety issue.
 
Old 08-11-2008, 08:50 AM
 
1,271 posts, read 3,653,444 times
Reputation: 583
You have to be careful where you travel to in this day and age. Black people tend to steer clear of areas that seem unwelcoming to them, hense the reason most travel to places where there are more than a handful of them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
Why is being a tourist so uncommon among the African American Community? I understand that the Middle to Upper Class African American population of America is booming but they seem to be spending their money on something other than travel.

I travel in my job and see Airports and Hotels all over the country. I rarely see Black people on Airplanes or at Hotels. (yes there are some but maybe 1%)

When I travel to scenic areas, parks and museums I rarely see Black people. When I go to historic sites I do not see any black people.

Why is this true?
 
Old 08-11-2008, 12:34 PM
 
12,255 posts, read 18,390,529 times
Reputation: 19079
Seems that African Americans are frequenting cruises in particular. Also some of the carribean islands (Jamaca) seem to be getting a disproportianate amount of African Americans. This is from first and second hand observation, no facts or figures, so it may be incorrect.
 
Old 08-11-2008, 12:46 PM
 
146 posts, read 579,989 times
Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Seems that African Americans are frequenting cruises in particular. Also some of the Caribbean islands (Jamaica) seem to be getting a disproportionate amount of African Americans. This is from first and second hand observation, no facts or figures, so it may be incorrect.
Many of my Black friends and I have talked about this very issue (few Blacks at Tourist sites) Here are there observations:

African Americans are more likely to travel to see family by car than fly

Because African Americans could not stay in hotels until 40 years ago, there is less of a generational disposition to travel and tourism

Blacks are more likely to spend their money on material goods than travel, cultural events or education.

Blacks do not feel welcome at National Parks and historical sites, so they do not attend

Few Black cruise because it is marketed to whites and blacks do not like beaches and laying out in the sun.

Many Blacks feel more comfortable in their own community and do not like to travel by air or stay at hotels because it takes them to places they may not feel comfortable that are dominated by white people.
------------
These are the comments from my Black friends, do you agree?
 
Old 08-11-2008, 05:21 PM
 
845 posts, read 2,480,165 times
Reputation: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
Blacks do not feel welcome at National Parks and historical sites, so they do not attend

Few Black cruise because it is marketed to whites and blacks do not like beaches and laying out in the sun.

Many Blacks feel more comfortable in their own community and do not like to travel by air or stay at hotels because it takes them to places they may not feel comfortable that are dominated by white people.
------------
These are the comments from my Black friends, do you agree?
I dont agree with any of these comments. I am black and have travelled all over the world and so have my family and friends. I have been to non black places like Austria and Luxemburg and never felt uncomfortable. I have never felt unwelcomed at a national park even in places far away from my "community" like when I went to Denali on my birthday or Crater Lake last year. I also love cruises and hanging out by the beach....I was raised in Florida, it is in my blood. And I also love to stay at hotels. I will be staying at The W in Seattle this weekend with my friend. Race is not a factor when it comes to where I will vacation.
 
Old 08-11-2008, 05:54 PM
 
121 posts, read 399,682 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
Many of my Black friends and I have talked about this very issue (few Blacks at Tourist sites) Here are there observations:

African Americans are more likely to travel to see family by car than fly

Because African Americans could not stay in hotels until 40 years ago, there is less of a generational disposition to travel and tourism

Blacks are more likely to spend their money on material goods than travel, cultural events or education.

Blacks do not feel welcome at National Parks and historical sites, so they do not attend

Few Black cruise because it is marketed to whites and blacks do not like beaches and laying out in the sun.

Many Blacks feel more comfortable in their own community and do not like to travel by air or stay at hotels because it takes them to places they may not feel comfortable that are dominated by white people.
------------
These are the comments from my Black friends, do you agree?
I disagree too. I am a young black women and take offense to some of the comments above particularly that black people spend their money on rims and materialistic items. I am an educated black women as well with a Masters level education . It's funny how people continually stereotype races. I have travelled to many places including Peru, Bolivia and many many states in the United States. I grew up with white people and love to travel. Would it be fair if I said all white people buy expensive houses and can't furnish them??
 
Old 08-11-2008, 07:01 PM
 
146 posts, read 579,989 times
Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingaway View Post
I disagree too. I am a young black women and take offense to some of the comments above particularly that black people spend their money on rims and materialistic items. I am an educated black women as well with a Masters level education . It's funny how people continually stereotype races. I have travelled to many places including Peru, Bolivia and many many states in the United States. I grew up with white people and love to travel. Would it be fair if I said all white people buy expensive houses and can't furnish them??

Considering the average Black Person is not flying all over the world with a Masters Degree (nor is the typical White Person!!), I would hope to hear from middle class working class black folk to get their perspective.
 
Old 08-11-2008, 07:07 PM
 
Location: The Big D
14,874 posts, read 37,241,906 times
Reputation: 5787
We were in Aruba last month and saw many blacks there. On the beach all day laying out in the sun as well. There were a good amount of them on the plane as well. More than our flight from Dallas to Miami as a matter of fact.
 
Old 08-11-2008, 07:20 PM
 
Location: In a chartreuse microbus
3,853 posts, read 5,301,436 times
Reputation: 8018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingaway View Post
Would it be fair if I said all white people buy expensive houses and can't furnish them??
Fair, maybe. Funny, definitely!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top