U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 02:00 PM

4,899 posts, read 16,637,601 times

Advertisements

i have tipped in italy--and they may not expect a tip, they do appreciate it. some places DO expect one. i dont know where people get this "they dont tip in europe". it is included in the restaurant bill, but i have tipped the person carrying my bags, i have tipped the chamber maids--who by the way have let me know how much they appreciate it and how little they are paid.
the same has happened to me in the US and canada. chaimber maids dont get paid much and appreciate the tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 02:22 PM

812 posts, read 3,586,128 times
On an in and out business type stay where I only use the bed and never touch the glasses, icebucket or the like, I sometimes dont, but on longer vacations where I actually "use" the room, I used to like to leave something at the end, simply because I don't like having to dole out little sums all the time, but then I realized that since the maids would change, I may be tipping someone that hasn't worked on my room at all, and I see the room change as more of an operating procedure than a service, so I sometimes do a little every couple of days on a longer stay.

I regulate my tip by service quality though, because I also agree that this, unlike waitstaff, is a generous, above and beyond thing to do, so I wouldn't tip a Ritz maid for Travelodge service. I do think that the good goes around, however. Once on vacation in the Dominican Republic, I had no small bills to tip the airport porter, and spent about 5 minutes to get a $20 changed so that I could. Out of gratitude that I went out of my way, they ushered me past the (rather long) checkin line, past the first class section right to the front. I'd say it was worth the couple dollars.

I also like to leave something extra if I have a request or two, if for nothing else than perhaps just to spark their memory a little

Old 08-13-2008, 06:14 PM

983 posts, read 4,098,565 times
I tip because it is the American thing to do! I feel blessed that I don't have to clean toilets behind strangers.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:21 PM

14,282 posts, read 44,996,220 times
I generally tip a dollar or two, and almost always notice that the maid has made some special effort - left extra coffee, arranged my stuff in the bathroom on a cloth, something like that.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:30 PM

516 posts, read 1,754,548 times
I read that 2 dollars per person per night is the target amount. I suppose this could vary depending upon the hotel level (motel vs. luxury resort!) Also, it could vary upon quality of service - after all, isn't tipping supposed to be a reward for good/excellent service?

Old 08-13-2008, 06:36 PM

5,194 posts, read 13,382,647 times
If it's a 1 night stay on an interstate, we don't usually tip. If we're staying someplace for several days, we tip $5 per day, especially if they do a great job!

Old 08-13-2008, 06:44 PM

198 posts, read 268,289 times
We never tip for maid service. At the going rates for hotels, let management pay their helps' wages....think about it..what do you get for those lofty prices..a bed, a television, a bathroom with a shower, a carpet, a place to write or compute, a hair dryer, some plastic glasses, soap and shampoo.

We hang the "Privacy" sign on the door for the length of our stay....usually no more than three days. If we need more coffee or extra towels, I go to the desk and ask for them. We don't need maid service. We police the room ourselves, and we hate to leave valuable lying around for others to steal, so we simply ask that they not come in until we leave.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:18 PM

25,673 posts, read 24,324,237 times
Actually I never knew we were 'supposed' to until a friend of mine and I went to a 3 day convention a few years back. Ooops.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:41 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,178,762 times
We always tip the maids when we travel. They work hard and don't make much. We tip $5.00 per night.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:43 AM

8 posts, read 41,355 times
Default Maids have a tough job

I always tip around $3 per night by leaving the money on the pillow for the maid. A few years ago I realized how much service you're getting from hotel housekeeping versus a restaurant server that takes your order, checks on you a time or two and thats it. We have always been generous tippers with servers and I decided that even if we had to cut back on restaurant tipping to leave something for the housekeeping staff we would do it. For instance, I know you're supposed to tip on the subtotal (amount before tax) but we usually tip on the total bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or