U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-24-2008, 10:50 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,492,288 times

Advertisements

It is good to have a general outline laid out, so you can budget how much gas you are going to use, how many nights you will stay at a hotel/motel, and others such as eating and paying for admisssions to places, etc. Once you have an idea on your route, it would not hurt to check out availability and prices on hotes. If you leave it somewhat open-ended, you may run into the risk of hotels being booked up or not getting the type of hotel you want. I personally like to book my rooms so I know that there is a room when I get to a hotel.

I put a lot of thought into trip planning myself. I have done that this past year with planning my road trip to Wyoming/Colorado/Kansas. I am planning on a trip to Colorado/Mississippi/Missouri (combine my annual trip to Colorado and see relatives and friends there along with a few people in Oklahoma and a good college friend who moved to Mississippi from Omaha) and have come up with a rough idea.

It is good to start putting a little money away now, so it will not be a big undertaking when you take your trip.

I would also recommend Colorado with the mountains. There are some areas where there are curvy roads and steep road grades. You should be fine there if you are along the main highways. Eastern Iowa and Minnesota are nice with rolling hills and a mix of farms and trees. Missouri is somewhat similar but has some rock outcrops and roadcuts. I love going through Missouri with the trees and rolling hills.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 08:15 AM

187 posts, read 50,926 times
Tom-Tom.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:02 PM

38,756 posts, read 39,297,963 times
You guys are acting like Middle America is a foreign country. Just go. It's the USA.

The last middle America trip I took alone was when I was on a minor league baseball kick. I went to minor league baseball games, one each night, from Appleton Wisconsin to Savannah Georgia to Erie Pennsylvania. Fifteen games in 15 nights. I don't drive at night because of vision issues, so each night, I just slept in my car in the stadium parking lot, and left in the morning. I notified stadium staff each night, and no problem, and there were no adventures. Days, I would just puddle along to the next town, seeing what I felt like seeing.

Avoid the Interstates. You're out to see the country, and you will see nothing from the Interstates. Each time you plan your stop on your itinerary, look on the map for the least important road that goes in that direction. You won't get stuck. You won't get robbed. You won't get lost, and the latter, it doesn't matter if you do. Learn to sleep in your car, save $40 a night, at least. Try out your reclined passenger seat, with a sleeping bag. Sleep at a truck stop, like the truckers do. Or all night gas stations or WalMart parking lots, but tell an attendant you're sleeping there. Not for safety, just as a courtesy. Eat from grocery stores, sandwiches and salads. Two big macs a day will kill you.

As for planning itinerary, just pick out some places you want to see, and then go from one to the next. The gaps in between will be more interesting than your target destinations, in most cases. Each town you go through will be a blend of the mundane and the funky, and each traveler will be amused in his own unique way, so just ignore what other travelers and websites and tourist information bureaus have to say.

Do not look for adventures. Open yourself up, and let the adventures find you.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:55 PM

14,520 posts, read 13,081,562 times
Sorry to be a negative nancy but I've driven through middle america plenty of times and there's really nothing more boring..

Old 06-23-2010, 06:26 PM

2,759 posts, read 1,930,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Sorry to be a negative nancy but I've driven through middle america plenty of times and there's really nothing more boring..
I agree. Try the West. The hills/mountains are breath-taking.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:02 PM

14,520 posts, read 13,081,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
I agree. Try the West. The hills/mountains are breath-taking.

I'll have to agree, the mountains can be equally isolating and you can see small towns along the way and the views won't be SO DAMN BORING. I truly think you will regret spending your hard earned money driving through the interior states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel