U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 12:54 PM

148 posts, read 795,369 times

Advertisements

I may be getting a week off soon... All my friends and family are busy with work and if they aren't, they do not have the money to travel anywhere.

So I am thinking about going to an all-inclusive resort in either Mexico or Dominican Republic or Cuba.

I've never spent time at an all-inclusive resort and am wondering if it would be a bad idea if I went alone. I do value my independence but am unsure if this would be the right way to spend my time/money... perhaps I should wait for friends which have time/money to spend along with me at a resort?

I am also 23 years old... but not longer to go to a resort for party/sex with random people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 11:51 AM

13 posts, read 60,600 times
GO FOR IT!! There's nothing quite like taking a break from everything and everybody to refresh your mental batteries. The opportunity to go places and do things, or do absolutely nothing, without answering to anyone or considering someone else's feelings can be a liberating experience.

I've been deep sea fishing down in Los Cabos and The Keys, toured the Mayan ruins around Cancun, and been skiing in the Alps on my own. It's kind of like seeing the Grand Canyon, the view is the same whether you're by yourself or on a bus with fifty people. Enjoy the solitude.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:15 PM

76 posts, read 375,512 times
Time alone, no matter the location, is like a vacation itself! Have a great time!

Old 08-18-2008, 01:20 PM

5 posts, read 27,234 times
Yes, do it! I've done it on and off for 15 years and have no regrets, not one. Also made a few friends along the way.
You decide what you'd like to see, listen to, eat, drink, etc. and you can change your mind along the way too, if you feel like changing your mind
You will really, really, learn to appreciate your own company.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:51 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,362,608 times
Instead of hunkering down in an all inclusive, have you thought about taking a Caribbean cruise? I can highly recommend them for solo travelers and personally had GREAT times. Met some wonderful people (found that being solo, people went out of their way to be sociable!) but also thoroughly enjoyed seeing and exploring different islands. Without someone else tagging along, I could do exactly what I wanted to do from getting up early in the morning to sip coffee on the deck while the sun rose on the next island approach to sipping a late-night brandy and watching the night sky and ocean. Great food and the ability to participate in what you want when you want. BLISS! Cheers!

Old 08-18-2008, 07:27 PM

19 posts, read 46,014 times
Go for it! They'll be plenty of people around to talk to, and it's only for a week. As it happens, I'm planning (as I type) a trip to Cancun in October by myself. I've traveled solo before, but not to a resort so it'll be interesting.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:05 PM

321 posts, read 919,478 times
Exclamation Ditto

If only to echo everything everyone else has said... OMG GO!

Old 08-19-2008, 12:20 PM

5,189 posts, read 13,347,698 times
No way--watching other couples/families having their fun, while you sit all alone....not my idea of a good time!
While I don't mind my own company at home, when I'm in a lovely setting, i want someone to share it with!

Old 08-19-2008, 12:23 PM

43,534 posts, read 52,626,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
No way--watching other couples/families having their fun, while you sit all alone....not my idea of a good time!
While I don't mind my own company at home, when I'm in a lovely setting, i want someone to share it with!
I agree. But it all depends on you and your personality. Some of my friends prefer vacations alone. I need someone to enjoy things with. Plus, it's much safer to travel with someone else. Water sports, snorkeling, swimming in the ocean - all best done with a buddy for safety reasons.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:17 PM

905 posts, read 3,067,735 times
Just do it!!! I have traveled solo many times. I think its easier to meet others while solo. We are social creatures and crave interaction, going solo forces you to meet others. I find when people are on holiday they are so much more laid back and open to meeting fellow travelers. If you are going all inclusive try to go somewhere with others in your age range. I went to Club Med once and had a blast, there were so many activities and I was able to meet lots of folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel