U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 05:48 PM

615 posts, read 790,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
My family is going to Europe in October, and I would to get your tips/advice(s) on the following cities:

Innsbruck(staying 2 days):
what areas would you recommend to see/visit. any other ideas are welcomed.
Innsbruck is beautiful. I went there in May. I took the train there from Munich and got off at the Innsbruck Hauptbahnhof station (central station). The town itself is worth walking around and getting a view of, and the mountains are spectacular with their snow covered caps.

Here are some pictures that I took from my trip to Innsbruck. Hopefully it will give you an idea of what you're coming to see.

Pictures from my Innsbruck, Austria Trip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 05:54 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,611,994 times
I would second the double decker bus tour in London - gives you a great overview. I would also walk around Leicester Square - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia you can get half-price show tickets there..

Anne Frank house is a place which will really touch your heart. You will be so glad if you go - I would take the book along for reading while traveling.

All the Rome and Venice suggestions were good. Shopping on Via Condotti and hanging out at the Spanish Steppes with a gelato is wonderful. The Pantheon is not far from there. OK, it's hokey but you are going to have to do the gondola in Venice (negotiate the price). If you can't afford that, just ride around on the Vaporetto (be sure to buy your ticket or you might get fined).

Old 08-18-2008, 06:13 PM

12,351 posts, read 18,454,883 times
Quote:
As you may be aware, vacation time is very limited in the USA, unlike in Europe where people get 1 month + 1 week + ~15 holidays, then travel can be scheduled on a different basis.
...may be things will change one day...
Understood, I am in the same situation. But what I do is pick those 2 weeks a year and visit one country only. And then the next year I visit another country. Heck you can spend a week alone in London, or Rome. The British Museam that was mentioned will easily take a day alone. You get to learn one culture, you have time to unwind and let things happen by accident, and you can see the major sites and things off the tourist route, you get a better feel for the country. Also, I can't imagine going to Italy and not visiting Florence, or to Switzerland and not visiting the Bernese-Oberland, or England and not traveling through the Cotswalds.

But...I understand also, for some people traveling to Europe is a once in a lifetime experience due to cost and distance. It's just that, you are going to fall into the "if it's Tuesday, we must be in Venice" syndrome.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:49 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,611,994 times
I used to get airline tickets to Europe for many years for less than $400 - I typically went 3 times per year. Now the cheapest tickets are around $1000. So I can understand the idea..maybe it will whet the appetite and they can go back to their favorite area -- I suspect it will be Italy!

Old 08-18-2008, 07:50 PM

1,456 posts, read 3,766,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwing View Post
Innsbruck is beautiful. I went there in May. I took the train there from Munich and got off at the Innsbruck Hauptbahnhof station (central station). The town itself is worth walking around and getting a view of, and the mountains are spectacular with their snow covered caps.

Here are some pictures that I took from my trip to Innsbruck. Hopefully it will give you an idea of what you're coming to see.

Pictures from my Innsbruck, Austria Trip
what currency does Austria have?
Thanks

Old 08-18-2008, 08:24 PM

615 posts, read 790,318 times
Euro

Old 08-18-2008, 10:57 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,981,093 times
Quote:
what part of Nice is the "Vieux Nice"? (i.e; west, North west, or more detailed location)
Vieux Nice is in the southeast corner of the city, just west of the port. It's bordered by the ocean / Quai des Etats-Unis, the Boulevard Jean-Jaures, and the Colline du Chateau. It's centered around the Place Rossetti.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:49 PM

21,363 posts, read 33,075,587 times
Heres some of my pictures from my trip in Europe...

Europe Trip

Old 10-07-2008, 09:29 AM

4 posts, read 33,617 times
innsbruck is beautiful, i live here :-)

in 2 days you can do quite a few things:
* Golden Roof
* Old Town
* Alpenzoo (Zoo up in the mountains, pretty nice)
* Bergisel (Ski Jump)
* Hofburg
* take the cable car up to the Hafelekar (careful, could be snowy these days!) and enjoy the panorama over Innsbruck

just a few things for the moment ...

there's a tourist info right in the center near the golden roof, there you will also get good tipps i guess.

if you need anything more about austria, feel free to contact me!

cheers

Old 02-04-2009, 10:02 AM

288 posts, read 762,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
London(staying 2 days):
Hop-on Hop-off Double Decker Bus Tour
Changing of the Guards at Buckingham Palace
British Library
British Museum
Tower of London
Tate Modern
Westminster Abby

Amsterdam(staying 2 days):
Rijks museum Museum
Van Gogh Museum
Canal Boat Ride
Anne Frank House

Venice(staying 2 days):
St. Mark’s Square
St. Mark’s Basilica
Doge’s Palace
Murano, the Glass Island

Rome(staying 2 days):
Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel
Colosseum
Roman Forman
Pantheon
Spanish Steeps
you know, you really didn't add anything other than what about a billion tourist feet have already trampled and photographed to death
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel