U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 04:14 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,173,691 times

Advertisements

I agree on the travel insurance, at least when traveling internationally. I get everything; trip cancellation, evacuation, medical and medical evacuation. It's worth the small price.

When renting a car in the US, I always request something really small and cheap and always get a free upgrade to something larger because the airport rental facility never seems to have the cheap sub compact I requested. The last time I did this, I got a nice SUV for the price of a sub compact! Try this. I usually use Avis or Hertz.

Always ask for hotel room upgrade upon checking in. Worse case scenario, they'll say no. But you'd be surprised how many times you get one.

When traveling to a resort area, don't prepay the van service from the airport to your hotel. You have to wait until the van is full and then make numerous stops. You'll find that a taxi is usually cheaper and much faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 07:18 AM

22 posts, read 77,178 times
Pack dryer sheets in with your clothes and put one in your "dirty laundry bag". That way your clothes smell nice even after a few days packed.

Give your "trusted" travel buddy a copy of your passport. My friend had her passport and copy stolen in France. The fact that I had a copy of her passport really helped us get through the process of getting another one quickly.

I like to use those little vacuum bags from target or walmart (....the ones that you can squeeze the air out of without a vacuum) for sweaters/ bulky clothes.

When you are taking photographs of your trip, try to make one of the first ones a "context" picture...one with the name of the town or the name of the restaurant etc... That way when you are looking through the pics months later, you don't have to work so hard to remember names and places.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:43 PM

21,362 posts, read 33,047,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeEmUp View Post
Pack dryer sheets in with your clothes and put one in your "dirty laundry bag". That way your clothes smell nice even after a few days packed.

Give your "trusted" travel buddy a copy of your passport. My friend had her passport and copy stolen in France. The fact that I had a copy of her passport really helped us get through the process of getting another one quickly.

I like to use those little vacuum bags from target or walmart (....the ones that you can squeeze the air out of without a vacuum) for sweaters/ bulky clothes.

When you are taking photographs of your trip, try to make one of the first ones a "context" picture...one with the name of the town or the name of the restaurant etc... That way when you are looking through the pics months later, you don't have to work so hard to remember names and places.
Do not carry dryer sheets in your carry on luggage. They set off the bomb sniffing machines. I found out the hard way, total luggage search and pat down. All because of bounce.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:48 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,487,957 times
My tip is this: When your flying and the pilot comes on the intercom and says. We are being diverted for refueling. If you are circling the airport that is your destination and this happens, its obvious the plane has been flying with limited fuel on board. My tip is this. Be very cautious when hearing news reports about the business practices of some of the countrys airlines. When you hear all this crap that the airlines are charging for this that and the other because of rising fuel cost, then use common sense. The airlines are in bad shape and I hope the obvious does not happen with their method of flying with a reduced fuel level as a means to cut down on their fuel cost. This scenario happened to me on Delta in June, I have decided to never fly on that airline again. I would much rather an airline charge more for the tickets and fill up the gas tanks before its planes take off.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:48 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,289,503 times
When booking a hotel, always look at as many review sites like tripadvisor.com

I have never been unsatisfied with a hotel with a satisfaction ranking of 4/5 or higher on a site like this. Real travelers are posting real comments and give you the inside story on the hotel. They tell you what they hotel website refuses to show you. They let you know if a hotel is in a dangerous neighborhood, how close it is to attractions, freeway noise, quality of service, room cleanliness, etc..... They also let you know if a hotel is really good and why it is a standout. In general, most people will have either a great or bad experience like those who post on the site.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:30 AM

115 posts, read 402,891 times
If you need to fly to a destination for a cruise or an important date such as wedding, family reunion, funeral, ect. Never fly out on the same day, travel the day before. Sometimes the flight may be cancelled due to weather or mechanical and the airline may not be able to get you to your destination in time for the event.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:36 PM

4,172 posts, read 5,992,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Get an International Cell phone plan and make sure your phone is a GSM quad band type. You can call AT&T and make sure you have the international plan. Calling .
Yes - make sure the phone you get is quad band GSM. Both ATT and TMobile have GSM service. Diffrence is that Tmobile will "unlock" your phone for free within a month. When abroad, you can then buy a cheap SIM card and use it with the phone - saves you a lot of money. Avoid using Tmobile and ATT network for calling back - it will cost you a lot ($1-5 / minute); instead, use the locally-purchased SIM card ($0.20 or so per minute).

Old 08-29-2008, 01:25 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,549,120 times
While traveling within the states, we put our last names and cell phone #'s on the luggage tags. They got "lost" once with our home address and was waiting for us when we got home. The next time they got "lost" we had changed the tags and were reunited quickly.

My tags are very bright colors and my mom put a stip of bright yellow tape on her suitcase so it's very easy to pick out.

Also take enough of your own prefered brand of over the counter meds to get you by.

I suffer from allergies, only one med works for me and I didn't have it getting off the plane in Seattle. I drove everyone nuts until I could get my hands on some.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:07 PM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,071 posts, read 1,832,825 times
When flying on a long flights (like from LAX to SYDNEY which is 14 hours) always remember about DVT (Deep Vein Trombosis). Three days before the trip start on regiment of 1) one (1) baby aspirin per day 2) when on the plane stay hydrated, drink plenty of water 3) and last - walk around the plane every few hours. I'm not sure about compression socks maybe other travelers will chime in.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:35 PM

4,172 posts, read 5,992,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcian View Post
When flying on a long flights (like from LAX to SYDNEY which is 14 hours) always remember about DVT (Deep Vein Trombosis). Three days before the trip start on regiment of 1) one (1) baby aspirin per day 2) when on the plane stay hydrated, drink plenty of water 3) and last - walk around the plane every few hours. I'm not sure about compression socks maybe other travelers will chime in.
... along with plenty of water, drink less or no alcohol.

I have had a case when a 16 hr flight ran out of toilet paper towards the end - so keep a roll with your carry on!

Get Yahoo messenger or Skype etc -your video calls via internet (to US) will be free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel