Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 01:30 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,227,902 times

Advertisements

Email a copy of your passport and passport photos to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 07:57 AM

63 posts, read 294,913 times
Take a picture (if you have a digital camera) of where you parked your car at the airport. Last time, I couldn't find my car (it was a rental) and wandered around in 30 degree weather wearing flip flops. I swore I parked it in this one row, but the plates didn't match what the rental company gave me. Turns out it was my car, but it wouldn't start.

Luckily, I had called my dad when I couldn't find it so when it didn't start he was right there. Had to leave it there though.

I also leave the ticket in the car. I have a cubby above my rearview mirror that I put it in. I'd probably lose it if I kept it in my purse.

Use one bag - a carry on. Roll clothes tightly instead of folding. Saves space. Buy a travel size thing of Tide to wash underwear, bras, socks, etc. Have clothes that mix and match. I bring two pairs of shoes: walking shoes and dress shoes if I need to dress up. Believe it or not, I had one suitcase for a 2 week trip to S Korea. I did do laundry twice though but small price to pay for peace of mind. I didn't have to stand there waiting for my luggage and I didn't have to worry about the airline losing it.

For jewelry, I take toilet paper rolls and wrap my necklaces and bracelets around it and then tape them. Keeps them from getting tangled. Earrings get put into little bags, like those you get extra buttons in when you buy a new shirt.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:00 AM

63 posts, read 294,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcian View Post
When flying on a long flights (like from LAX to SYDNEY which is 14 hours) always remember about DVT (Deep Vein Trombosis). Three days before the trip start on regiment of 1) one (1) baby aspirin per day 2) when on the plane stay hydrated, drink plenty of water 3) and last - walk around the plane every few hours. I'm not sure about compression socks maybe other travelers will chime in.
When I flew from Chicago to Seoul I used compression socks and got up every two hours to stretch my legs. I did not take aspirin though as I have stomach problems and that will just exacerbate it.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:11 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If you're doing long-distance driving:

Stop every two hours, even if you're not tired/hungry or don't have to use the john, especially if you're driving alone. It makes a huge difference.

Don't take greasy or messy foods to munch on (potato chips, cheese curls, taco chips, drippy fruit). Pretzels and carrot sticks rock!

Take a jug of ice water and a water bottle to stay hydrated. Fill up every two hours (and then you'll need to stop every two hours ... LOL).

Good points. I also stop every 1 1/2 to 2 hours just to take a short brisk walk. While I never chew gum otherwise, I do when I drive long distances - that and cold bottled water keep me alert. Always.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:26 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
If you are going to be using one or two certain credit cards on your trip call them and tell them
With identity fraud being so high nowadays if they see charges from a different state or country they may put a temp freeze on the account until they can verify it is you using the card

Old 09-05-2008, 07:12 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
If you are going to be using one or two certain credit cards on your trip call them and tell them
With identity fraud being so high nowadays if they see charges from a different state or country they may put a temp freeze on the account until they can verify it is you using the card
Karla makes an excellent point here.
We ran into this problem in Canada, one time, while traveling on our recent vacation. This was at an airport in Toronto. Had to make a long distance call to straighten out the situation. We bounced around so much that they must've thought that our card was stolen as they put a freeze on it til we called and explained we were traveling.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:39 AM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,132 posts, read 2,103,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
One more point to Karla's post - check which credit card is not charging fees for overseas use. Recently in my case - Capital One still is not charging fees, but Bank of America does. So even both credit cards were notified by me about overseas trip I was using only Capital One Visa card for all purchases.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:06 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,134 times
If you happen to be flying coach, there are three seats, and four arm rests. The person in the middle seat owns TWO of those rests. The people with the aisle and window seats each get one. It's bad enough being stuck in the middle. They don't need someone trying to steal their arm rests too.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:57 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
I believe the one in the middle gets the armrest where the earphone plugs in. Each armrest has an earphone plug which is on the right side for those sitting in the left seats facing front, or on the left side for those sitting on the right side of the plane.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:46 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
This site gives you the scoop on the seat set up for all the airlines, including which ones have power: Airline Seating Charts, Best Airplane Seats - SeatGuru
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel