U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 02:05 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,578,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcian View Post
One more point to Karla's post - check which credit card is not charging fees for overseas use. Recently in my case - Capital One still is not charging fees, but Bank of America does. So even both credit cards were notified by me about overseas trip I was using only Capital One Visa card for all purchases.
Citibank also charges a fee, plus I got the idea that the exchange rate wasn't the best possible. I took it with us for emergencies but didn't plan to use it.

I thought that before using a credit card was a good way to be sure to get the best exchange rate. I was very disappointed that they instituted those fees, I think the fee was 3% of the purchase.

I brought American Express travelers checks with me.

I cashed them AT American Express in Cairo. When we called, they said they were open on Friday. When we got there, they said the bank inside was closed. So we went back on Saturday. If I exchanged them for local currency, the rate was much cheaper than if you exchanged them for dollars. Unfortunately, they only had dollars, so I had to pay a higher fee. I was really annoyed by this as it seemed a ploy to get a higher fee out of the customer (Why wouldn't they have local currency, it's not like availability is limited). This was after we tried to go to the Bank of Alexandria, a chain bank, that supposedly cashed them with no fee whatsoever, except for the fact that the bank had closed, permanently. Also on the travelers checks, some countries, apparently in Asia, require you to have the receipt with you to cash the check. Just fyi on the checks.

Is there any better way to carry funds with you? With travelers checks being hard to cash, credit cards charging fees, and cash possibly lost or stolen, I am just wondering how you all take your funds with you on vacation. I had cash, travelers checks and credit card. American Express used to have a pre loaded ATM card type thing, but I think they did away with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 02:34 PM

12,619 posts, read 28,120,827 times
AAA has a card : "The AAA Visa TravelMoney® card is a safe way to carry cash. Unlike cash or traveler’s checks, losing the card does not mean losing money. Replacement cards and emergency funds are issued through a worldwide network of toll-free customer assistance numbers. Since two cards may be linked to a single account, savvy travelers can carry a second card in case the first card is misplaced. Zero Liability protects you from fraudulent and unauthorized transactions if a card is lost or stolen."

You can go to your local AAA website to check it out.

We just take our ATM cards and two credit cards. We've traveled in Asia, Europe, Hawaii and have never had a problem.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:23 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,578,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
AAA has a card : "The AAA Visa TravelMoney® card is a safe way to carry cash. Unlike cash or traveler’s checks, losing the card does not mean losing money. Replacement cards and emergency funds are issued through a worldwide network of toll-free customer assistance numbers. Since two cards may be linked to a single account, savvy travelers can carry a second card in case the first card is misplaced. Zero Liability protects you from fraudulent and unauthorized transactions if a card is lost or stolen."

You can go to your local AAA website to check it out.

We just take our ATM cards and two credit cards. We've traveled in Asia, Europe, Hawaii and have never had a problem.
You know, I thought this was the card they got rid of.

I tried to use this card once before, maybe in a way it was not intended for. (It's more for, if your kid was taking a trip, they take a card and you keep one at home, in case you need to reload it) I got the cards, put money on them, and then sent one of them overseas to give to my mother in law, so we would each have one card (not for vacation, just to have in the long run). that way, if we needed her to buy us something or wanted to give her money, we could put it on the card here and she could get it out there. We just put a small amount of money on it at first to see how well it would work. (Figured it would be cheaper than a wire transfer or western union)

Unfortunately, it didn't work. MY SIL tried twice to get money out, then it told her the balance was too low to get out what she wanted. It had deducted the amount she was trying to get out without giving her the money. So it never did work for us, she brought it back and I went back to AAA for the money. I don't think I would try this again. They already have your cash, and then if you have a problem getting to the money, you are the one who is "out" in the meantime.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:09 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,931,363 times
We don't do traveler's checks, haven't for 20-some years.
When going abroad, we might change some money here first, or we might not.
We have never had a card *not* work, but have certainly heard of this happening.
We always bring at least two cards, credit and ATM. We call the bank and tell them we'll be traveling.
Normally, when at home, we don't even use a credit card, but we do keep one for travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel