U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite US Based Airline??
AirTran 4 7.69%
Alaska/Horizon 3 5.77%
American 4 7.69%
Big Sky 0 0%
Continental 4 7.69%
Delta 6 11.54%
Frontier 1 1.92%
Hawaiian 0 0%
JetBlue 7 13.46%
Midwest 1 1.92%
Northwest 1 1.92%
Southwest 15 28.85%
Spirit 0 0%
Sun Country 0 0%
United 3 5.77%
US Airways 3 5.77%
Virgin America 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:14 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,271,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I used to like JetBlue but the last three times I have flown them has been a nightmare. Last July I used them again and we were stuck at the airport for over 6 hours...they kept saying the plane was in New York...then they changed it to the plane is here but we have no flight crew..same thing and excuse jsut happened to my SIL last week 6 hour delay, same excuse..
Then in November, the plane was delayed, then it came in and they immediately boarded us which made me uncomfortable thinking noone has checked this plane. I happened to have a seat right over the engine and I kept noticing a light going on and off around the engine like someone ws flicking the cellar light. Then we had a flight attendant who kept running up and down the isles leaning over people's seats and then getting on the phone then whispering in the other attendant's ears. Very nervewracking. We were flying really low across country. We were going to Vegas from Boston and we found out that we were flying on one engine 10 minutes before we were to land. Well we were met with so much emergency equipment...I thought that was it if we lost another engine.

Kind of got the "oh well" attitude.

That's it for JetBlue.
I have always had fantastic experiences on Jet Blue, Im sorry but I don't really beleive this story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 06:21 AM

20,799 posts, read 8,712,624 times
Don't know what your problem is but if you would like to verify here ya go

Thursday Nov. 15 07 Flt. 483 Depart Boston NA at 8:25 PM arrive Vegas at 11:33 PM Flight attendant Pasqual...

Seats 11E and 11F right over the engine...Exit seats the isle you get the extra legroom
that would be on the right side of the plane and that is where we lost the engine.

need the confirmation number?

Old 08-29-2008, 07:01 AM

2,639 posts, read 6,034,985 times
When it comes to US based airlines I have only ever flown American so I won't vote but I was very happy with their transatlantic service and would definetaly use them again.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:19 AM

1,854 posts, read 8,748,420 times
I suspected that you were flying at night. I have no doubt that you were flying on one engine, but the flashing light had nothing to do with it. There are no lights, warnings, or indicators anywhere near the engines. There are lights mounted on top of the fuselage, and on the belly directly between the engines. We call them rotating beacons, but the newer ones are actually high intensity strobe lights. They are red in color. I suspect that you saw them reflecting off of the engine cowling.

There are also strobe lights mounted on the wingtips along with the navigation lights. They are red on the left, and green on the right. It would be very difficult to see them, but if you were sitting in front of the leading edge of the wing it is probably possible.

I'm leaning towards the reflection from the beacon.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:37 AM

20,799 posts, read 8,712,624 times
South Range Family.thank you for that explanation...yes we were flying at night.
I am one of those people who is so afraid to fly anyway so this was so bad that I was in a panic knowing we had to get back on a plane the following Monday and come home but that turned out to be a really good flight.

I forgot to add that 3 years back we went on Alaska Air and had a great experience.

Last edited by crazyworld; 08-29-2008 at 08:35 AM..

Old 08-29-2008, 08:51 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,271,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Don't know what your problem is but if you would like to verify here ya go

Thursday Nov. 15 07 Flt. 483 Depart Boston NA at 8:25 PM arrive Vegas at 11:33 PM Flight attendant Pasqual...

Seats 11E and 11F right over the engine...Exit seats the isle you get the extra legroom
that would be on the right side of the plane and that is where we lost the engine.

need the confirmation number?
Yes, please, as there is nothing on the Internet about it. Not a single thing. You have embellished in other threads too

Old 08-29-2008, 09:41 AM

402 posts, read 760,884 times
Default airtran

Airtran is the best American based airline. Often low fares, comfortable seats, free soda (some airlines charge now), very accomodating staff, flights to main airports. Here is one example. I was flying from atlanta to iad, and my father (who is 6'6), had a full cast over is severely sprained ankle. He was obviously uncomfortable, so befor the flight started, a flight attendant moved both of us up to business class. They gave us all the perks (like extra food and drinks), even though we didn't pay for it. On the same trip on the way down, a flight attendant saw my father looking at a map of atlanta. He then offered to answer any questions we had, as he was from atlanta. He was very helpful and friendly.

Also, dont forget free XM radio service on all flights!!

Heres why I don't like Southwest. If I want to fly to New York on SW, I have to land at LI-MacArthur. If I want to go to Boston, I have to land in Manchester. So basically, they often fly into secondary remote airports. Also, it is truly no frills, and the flight attendants are so phony.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:53 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,701,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
I have always had fantastic experiences on Jet Blue, Im sorry but I don't really beleive this story.
Well....it is, in fact known (and can be referenced with pilots) that a jet has so much throttle, it can be flown with one engine. (Not an ideal thing....but, hey...in an emergency situation one engine beats NONE!)
And, if someone was to research safety records, and incidents over the years with ALL airlines, one would come to find out, that just about EVERY SINGLE ONE has had some sort of incident.....whether it was a minor one, or resulting in a crash.
That's what I mean....some people are lucky enough to have (like you) fantastic experiences with an aircraft or airline.....while other people are not here anymore (because of a crash) to tell a very different tune (with the same airline you had good experiences with!)
It's a gamble, no doubt....and a certain "lucky star" everyone has.

I, for one, believe many "stories" about airlines and air-crafts out there....because I had my own share of scares in flying back and forth now (overseas and domestic) for 20 years now.
I, for one, like to research safety records of an airline, and how they maintain their fleet.
But is it a guarantee? Nope....not at all.

For my travels, I personally prefer "Lufthansa"......(but, they are NOT US based, so it doesn't apply)

Old 08-31-2008, 07:08 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,521,444 times
My best for travel around my Pacific Northwest, Alaska, and down to California is Alaska Airlines.
My best for travel outside the west coast and especially internationally is American Airlines.
I've been traveling by American since the early 1970s and love it, and by Alaska since they started and love them too.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:20 PM

8,341 posts, read 9,811,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
Well....it is, in fact known (and can be referenced with pilots) that a jet has so much throttle, it can be flown with one engine. (Not an ideal thing....but, hey...in an emergency situation one engine beats NONE!)
And, if someone was to research safety records, and incidents over the years with ALL airlines, one would come to find out, that just about EVERY SINGLE ONE has had some sort of incident.....whether it was a minor one, or resulting in a crash.
That's what I mean....some people are lucky enough to have (like you) fantastic experiences with an aircraft or airline.....while other people are not here anymore (because of a crash) to tell a very different tune (with the same airline you had good experiences with!)
It's a gamble, no doubt....and a certain "lucky star" everyone has.

I, for one, believe many "stories" about airlines and air-crafts out there....because I had my own share of scares in flying back and forth now (overseas and domestic) for 20 years now.
I, for one, like to research safety records of an airline, and how they maintain their fleet.
But is it a guarantee? Nope....not at all.

For my travels, I personally prefer "Lufthansa"......(but, they are NOT US based, so it doesn't apply)
Yes- modern airliners can easily fly on one engine. An engine failing in flight is actually just about the tamest emergency a pilot trains for. And the chances of another engine failing while one is already out is astronomical - it would require fuel starvation or volcanic ash or some highly unusual event.

Also - airplanes make emergency landings every day in this country - and airplanes have bona fide emergencies every day. Nearly all of these will not make the news. Some do, most don't - and there is no rhyme or reason as to why one is a media event and others aren't. Airplanes land with flat tires, hit severe turbulence, divert for weather, have engine failures, electrical failures, etc, etc, every single day. Yet nearly every time everything comes out ok - the pilots are trained ad nauseum to handle these events, and the planes have tremendous back up systems and redundancy built-in, so that when something does go wrong it's usually a non-event. I can easily believe that JB had an engine failure - it is much more common than most realize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or