U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite US Based Airline??
AirTran 4 7.69%
Alaska/Horizon 3 5.77%
American 4 7.69%
Big Sky 0 0%
Continental 4 7.69%
Delta 6 11.54%
Frontier 1 1.92%
Hawaiian 0 0%
JetBlue 7 13.46%
Midwest 1 1.92%
Northwest 1 1.92%
Southwest 15 28.85%
Spirit 0 0%
Sun Country 0 0%
United 3 5.77%
US Airways 3 5.77%
Virgin America 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 05:57 PM

20,799 posts, read 8,717,384 times

Advertisements

I probably would not even had known that there was a problem if that airline attendant hadn't brought attention to it like that (maybe it was his first flight) or if my seat was in a different place.

They made us aware before we were landing. That was nervewracking when I saw all the emergency apparatus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 10:18 PM

983 posts, read 4,099,812 times
Thumbs up Sw

I have to agree with Southwest for the same reasons as others. No charges for checked bags, no fees for changing flights and if my change is less money then I end up with a credit I can use for up to 1 yr. Very easy website to navigate and make the changes yrself.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:26 PM

983 posts, read 4,099,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
And, if someone was to research safety records, and incidents over the years with ALL airlines, one would come to find out, that just about EVERY SINGLE ONE has had some sort of incident.....whether it was a minor one, or resulting in a crash.
That's what I mean....some people are lucky enough to have (like you) fantastic experiences with an aircraft or airline.....while other people are not here anymore (because of a crash) to tell a very different tune (with the same airline you had good experiences with!)
It's a gamble, no doubt....and a certain "lucky star" everyone has.

How does one go about researching safety records?

Old 09-02-2008, 08:46 AM

1,854 posts, read 8,754,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
How does one go about researching safety records?
Aviation Accident Database Query (http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/Query.asp - broken link)

Crazyworld
I also wanted to say that they most likely had an engine fire warning, and shut the engine off. A nervous flight attendant watching out the window at night could only be looking for a fire. Emergency equipment waiting for an arriving flight also suggests a fire indication. That doesn't mean there was really a fire, but they took all of the precautions. It also means that they must have done something right, because you are still here to tell us about it.

I'll try the NTSB report to see if I can find anything.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:28 AM

6,978 posts, read 12,517,527 times
So far I have had good luck on Alaska and Southwest. The other airlines I really cannot recommend any longer. I don't feel the big airlines are putting much effort into their operation, and it shows in their complete lack of respect for the flying public. There is alot more wrong in thier operations, than just the fact they are affected by the high fuel prices.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:53 AM

702 posts, read 2,800,423 times
Since US Airways, United and American are now charging money to check in the first bags, they will be on my 2nd tier list of carriers that I will use. I like JetBlue the best. Delta and Continental are the best of the legacy carriers simply because they are not nickel and diming us to death. It is basically a race to the bottom in terms of service in the American carriers.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:11 PM

1,854 posts, read 8,754,162 times
I'm looking at the poll results. Most of them are pretty close with 3 and 4 votes each.

One of the 3 votes that USAir has is mine, and that's only because they give me a paycheck every week.

Anyhow, look at the standout in the crowd. I'm not surprised that Southwest has so many votes. It's more than people just having low expectations, and not being disappointed. It's the entire company philosophy. Herb Kellerher was the founder of Southwest. He always said take care of your employees first. They will take care of your passengers, and your stock holders come 3rd.

People think of Southwest as a low cost carrier. In reality they have the highest paid employees in the entire industry. They support their employees, and give them whatever it takes to do their job. When other major airlines have an executive meeting with all of the Vice Presidents, Directors, and managers they rent a big hall with name tags, and microphones.
When Herb had an executive meeting, he pulled up six chairs around a table. He knew that you needed thousands of indians with only a handful of chiefs.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:41 PM

563 posts, read 2,325,152 times
I fly pretty frequently for a non-business travel person. I think I have a pretty good assessment for the airlines I have flown. I live in Northeast Florida. My fiancee is up in New York so almost every two-three weeks I am traveling for wedding stuff. I prefer to fly out of Jacksonville, FL but Orlando is equidistant from my home and offers other options for me. I try to book in advance enough so I dont get raped on prices. A few times I have gotten caught and had to book with little time so I have had my share of different airlines. Here is my take...

Although I shop mainly by price, my preference is Jetblue. They fly Airbus
A320s and Embraer 190s. I find the A320s to be more passenger friendly with respect to the seat configuration and pitch and width then Boeing 737s flown by Southwest. Yes I have been delayed and it sucks. Sometimes the excuses you get are amazing and the stories change non stop. But its a double edged sword. They offer lots of nonstops. However, their hub is JFK in NY. My fiancee lives close to JFK which makes them convenient but JFK sucks and you have to fly into or out of it at certain times to actually have efficient and hassle free travel. Forget night departures unless you are an international flight--they all fly out at night and they get preference. Many times I have sat in a line of planes...but other than the time delay, I dont care because I had directv to keep me busy. I have racked up a few rountrip flight rewards through their frequent flyer club. Its among the best I think. This leads me to my second choice:

Southwest. I like them a lot too. Kudos to their customer service and ease for customers to make changes. They are much more efficient and I applaud whoever decided to fly into and out of secondary airports near major destinations--that is why they are so successful. They serve big markets through smaller airports that rarely experience delays. But, they do not offer nonstops or the flight times are bad on the routes I frequently fly unless I go into or out of Orlando airport. I hate driving to Orlando from where I live in Florida so Southwest has to offer me a good deal to get me to bite.

Airtran--Their terminal at LGA is like the fifth circle of hell. A terrible experience just being there. It does not help they mainly connect through their hub in Atlanta which tacks on a pretty good layover onto most flights.
Their flights are pretty much no frills. Seats are cheap as in narrow with little padding but they fly almost brand new Boeing 717s. Easy opportunities to upgrade to their business class which makes flying Airtran 100 times better if you can get it. XM radio is standard and ok--I prefer Sirius for programming but beggers cant be choosers.

Delta--Used to fly them all the time out of Daytona Beach. Then they jacked prices and cut service. I stopped flying them because for me it was not worth it. Their planes are also a bit older and they do not give you much. For me, the change in Atlanta knocks them out considering I could drive to Jacksonville and grab a nonstop.

US Airways--flew them a few times and did not care for them. Got a cheap last minute flight once which was good. Have dealt with them switching in numerous airports. They are just your typical airline that has cut just about everything they can and then charge you.

Unfortunately I will have my first experience with United in about a month when we go on our honeymoon. I pick them up in CA on the way to Hawaii. The only saving grace is that I am flying Jet blue from NY to CA. Judging by what some people have mentioned about United, I hope they are relatively hassle free and on time.

I rarely check bags but for families and travelers that have to, as a previous poster mentioned--the airlines have tiered themselves and I would place any airline charging for a first checked bag at the bottom of my list.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:13 AM

2,003 posts, read 4,402,813 times
Default Jetblue

Jetblue started with a genius idea. A big domestic airline at JFK, a huge airport with little to no domestic service and 30 million people within two hours drive. Jetblue filled a tremendous void and when they started the New York economy was raging.

The key to their success was sharp management, excellent capitalization, cheaper people working longer hours and of course the mental masturbation box at every seat which people love.

Now that they are 8 years in service, the cheaper people can not handle their large operation and the new airplanes are not so new anymore and the cheaper people have issues fixing them and flying them. After the big meltdown Valentines day 2006 they had to invest in some people with experience to run their operation rather then the people they pulled out of the subways who where managing in Feb 2006. They had real staff issues at Jetblue at the airport and at their control center. Things have improved with loads of outside talent being brought in as their original staff could not run their operation during the winter of 2006.

As long as they keep the mental masturbation boxes working people will continue to like this airline. However it will always be second rate, now that JFK is crowded/delay prone and the staff is horribly surly, green and under trained. Their staff is based on the revolving door concept to keep costs down with all new employees making the min scale. Jetblue does not have the legacy costs of real airlines like American/United, this is their advantage.

The best airline flying domestically today is Midwest. Best equipment B717, meals on every flight and 2 x 2 luxury seating on over half the plane. This is a real airline. Not a Jetblue aluminum can, with TV attached, staffed by burger king employees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I used to like JetBlue but the last three times I have flown them has been a nightmare. Last July I used them again and we were stuck at the airport for over 6 hours...they kept saying the plane was in New York...then they changed it to the plane is here but we have no flight crew..same thing and excuse jsut happened to my SIL last week 6 hour delay, same excuse..
Then in November, the plane was delayed, then it came in and they immediately boarded us which made me uncomfortable thinking noone has checked this plane. I happened to have a seat right over the engine and I kept noticing a light going on and off around the engine like someone ws flicking the cellar light. Then we had a flight attendant who kept running up and down the isles leaning over people's seats and then getting on the phone then whispering in the other attendant's ears. Very nervewracking. We were flying really low across country. We were going to Vegas from Boston and we found out that we were flying on one engine 10 minutes before we were to land. Well we were met with so much emergency equipment...I thought that was it if we lost another engine.

Kind of got the "oh well" attitude.

That's it for JetBlue.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:55 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,565,764 times
Delta basically owns the Cincy airport so i fly them the most frequently and they are pretty decent. I like the way Continential still gives out free food.

G Man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or