U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 12:16 AM

946 posts, read 2,523,165 times

Advertisements

I doubt I'll get many answers, but I'll try anyway. Has anybody ever lived in Zaragoza, Spain? I want to know what it's like and what your experience was like. I might be studying abroad there next year and I know nothing about the city. I had really wanted to stay in one of the major cities like Barcelona or Madrid, but my school only has a partner school in Zaragoza. Is it cold there in the winter, what's the city like? The people? Etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 12:30 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,345,028 times
Hola Lilamx! When I was stationed in Germany with the USAF, my squadron deployed to the Spanish airbase about 20 miles West of Zaragoza! I found Zaragoza to be a WONDERFUL city! Although we were billeted out near the base, we would frequently take the bus into town. Granted, it's been a good 15 years since I've been there, I truly enjoyed my visits. Not sure I can provide detailed information, but I think you'll enjoy Zaragoza as much as you would any other large city in Spain, even if it's not near the water like Barcelona is.

It got cool and windy in the winter, at least out at the base. But I'd venture to say that Spain has more than an average amount of sunny days (even if they are cool or cold). I found the people very pleasant, although English isn't spoken as frequently as in Central Europe. (I'm guessing that's not an issue for you, anyway!) One of my favorite vacation spots is the Monasterio de Piedra, which is about halfway between Zaragoza and Madrid. Best of luck in your decision!

Old 09-01-2008, 01:41 PM

946 posts, read 2,523,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Hola Lilamx! When I was stationed in Germany with the USAF, my squadron deployed to the Spanish airbase about 20 miles West of Zaragoza! I found Zaragoza to be a WONDERFUL city! Although we were billeted out near the base, we would frequently take the bus into town. Granted, it's been a good 15 years since I've been there, I truly enjoyed my visits. Not sure I can provide detailed information, but I think you'll enjoy Zaragoza as much as you would any other large city in Spain, even if it's not near the water like Barcelona is.

It got cool and windy in the winter, at least out at the base. But I'd venture to say that Spain has more than an average amount of sunny days (even if they are cool or cold). I found the people very pleasant, although English isn't spoken as frequently as in Central Europe. (I'm guessing that's not an issue for you, anyway!) One of my favorite vacation spots is the Monasterio de Piedra, which is about halfway between Zaragoza and Madrid. Best of luck in your decision!
Hola! . Zaragoza sounds really nice the way you describe it, must be really beautiful. The only thing I would hate is the weather. Do you find it is colder than Barcelona in the winter? Because after Zaragoza, my choice would be Barcelona. I'm still debating between the two. Each has its pros and cons. Zaragoza would be a lot cheaper because my school organizes everything and I would only pay tuition to my current university, the negative is that all my courses would be in Spanish and although I'm pretty fluent in it, it's still not at a university level, and that would probably affect my grades. Barcelona would require a lot more time and effort (and money!) but I've heard wonderful stories about the city and the university also attracts me because most of the courses would be in English. Ahh, such a difficult decision!

Old 09-02-2008, 12:04 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,345,028 times
Lilamx, that's a tough one! I've only driven through Barcelona, so I'm not sure I could help you there. But, although I didn't really "live" in Zaragoza for an extended period, I really liked the city a lot. MY personal opinion (FWIW) is that you can always go visit Barcelona...) But total "immersion" in Spanish might help you learn better than having the crutch of English-speaking classes... But weigh carefully the result of your time in Spain; if the credits you earn in Barcelona are more accepted when you return, THAT may be the better choice.

I guess weather is a very subjective quality; coming from our base in Germany, Spring and Fall felt much warmer. But out at the air base, anyway, there was little to stop the wind. So that was a negative, especially working on the aircraft outdoors...

Lilamx, I hope you enjoy Spain as much as I did, wherever you go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel