U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:36 AM

25,673 posts, read 24,350,844 times

Advertisements

- "....There is nothing like the feeling you get, sitting in your 13' 6" tall big truck looking at the sign posted on the overpass in front of you that reads "12' 4". After following the customer-provided directions..."

Thats so true, thankfully they post the signs before you get there, but then you gotta figure out how to turn around on a busy street. THAT is a challenge in itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 06:49 AM

4,667 posts, read 15,823,319 times
I've learned while driving semi-trucks cross country with my husband, that most folks who drive "four wheelers" (cars, SUVs etc.) seem to think that a fully loaded truck possibly weighing 80,000 can stop on a dime!

I've learned that most four wheel drivers have not been educated enough when it comes to sharing the road with semis; yes we need to swing wide when making turns so that you can continue to enjoy that tree/streetlight or whatever is on the corner... so please don't try to squeeze your turn in between us and the corner!

I've also learned that most four wheelers don't know the rule of thumb when it comes to sharing the road with a truck: If you can't see the truck driver in the truck's mirrors, there's a great chance the driver cannot see you and does not know you are there! Trucks have several blind spots!

I've also learned that there's a huge number of truckers and four wheelers alike that have no respect for the weather. To the SUV drivers or others that have the four wheel drive option-- you are not invinicble. On an icy road it simply means you'll have four wheels spinning independent of each other rather than all at once.

Okay, off my soapbox, but hey it was asked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or