U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 06:32 AM

77 posts, read 214,715 times

Advertisements

In NY, I learned that if you're in the passing lane, and there's someone behind you going faster (especially a police officer), move on over to the right and let them pass. You'll be able to get into the passing lane again in just a few seconds.

In Virginia I learned to do crazy stunt driving. I could drive 85 mph with only 10 feet of space between me, the car ahead of me, and the one behind me. I also learned the meaning to the phrase "give them an inch..." I could switch lanes with 6 inches to spare. I also learned that a traffic jam is no big deal - everyone expects you to be late, so bring a book and relax!

In NC I learned that not many people know about the NY lesson on moving over. Somehow the passing lane has become the slow lane, and if you want to get anywhere, stay to the right. Unless someone's exit is coming up - they swoop in from the left lane all the way to the right in 2 seconds or less. I also learned that tractor trailer drivers know about the left lane being the slow lane, because they don't move out of it.

In Texas I learned that it's almost as bad as Virginia's traffic jams - the wide open spaces go on forever and are boring as hell. So grab a book and pull over every 100 miles or so - just to keep your sanity.

What lessons have you learned, and where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 11:27 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,346,592 times
I have learned that, as a professional, I must be eternally vigilant because I share the road with people who drive like you do...

By the way, I was once several trucks ahead of another trucker who thought it would be a good idea to read at the wheel because the highway was so boring. He was killed when he slammed into the flatbed in front of him in a construction zone and both of his fuel tanks exploded...

The left lane is NOT the "slow" lane. It's just the idiots who don't know better that make it so. Many states (wrongly) restrict trucks from the left lane. So the few truckers you see there are either actually passing or, yes, maybe a few ARE as stupid as the car drivers that camp out there.

Last edited by Crew Chief; 09-02-2008 at 11:35 AM..

Old 09-02-2008, 04:05 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,573,576 times
People camping out in the left lane deserve a fine...

Old 09-02-2008, 07:01 PM

5,188 posts, read 13,352,934 times
Sometimes, like on Northern Va.'s I-95 during rush hour, every inch of every lane (including the left lane) is PACKED! There's no way NOT to use the lane, or folks would wait for hours just to get on the interstate!

I do agree, that when traffic is flowing freely, and every square inch of space is not being used, leaving the left lane for passing is the ideal.

But, cutting between cars with 6 inches to spare is reckless and stupid--STOP IT!

Old 09-03-2008, 06:13 AM

It was a joke, people! Geesh!

Old 09-03-2008, 07:45 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,483,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeofthestorm View Post
I got that and it was funny! Thanks for the laugh!

The true part of this whole issue is that you really do have to learn to drive like the majority or you could be the one that is a dangerous driver! At least to some degree. I know in CA if you aren't pulling over to the right or going close to the flow of traffic someone will try to pass you regardless as to how dangerous it is! Scary!! Don't think I'll ever get down that "drafing" they do here in NC though! I'm not even going to try! Ha!

Old 09-03-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeofthestorm View Post
Sorry, Eyeofthestorm. I guess after spending 11 hours behind the wheel most days, I get pretty wound up about poor driving habits...

- There is nothing like the feeling you get, sitting in your 13' 6" tall big truck looking at the sign posted on the overpass in front of you that reads "12' 4". After following the customer-provided directions...

- We truckers just love delivering to all the new shopping centers and "town centers" that are springing up nowadays. I'd sure like to have the architect in my cab as I roll across the beautifully landscaped curbing next to the TRUCK ENTRANCE because the wheels on my 53' trailer cannot POSSIBLY make it through the turn he designed. Even if they are all the way forward.

- It's pretty much a given that the small business you are delivering to will have the personal car of the only employee out making service calls all day parked right where you must cut the wheels of your tractor to get your trailer to their dock.

-Telephone and utility poles in the Northeast U.S. MUST be mounted as close to the curb as possible and must lean outward so as to strike the tops of passing truck trailers.

- Tree trimming in most towns and cities is optional. After all, only truck-mounted C.B. radio antennas will be broken.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:43 AM

Thumbs up Not a problem, Crew Chief

I'm lucky I only drive maybe one hour a day. You do it day in and day out, and have probably seen and been a victim of the worst. My hats off to you, and all you suffer through!

Old 09-03-2008, 06:02 PM

473 posts, read 1,368,932 times
I have another for NC, but maybe it doesn't count as a "driving lesson":

There is only one way out of any parking lot in NC. If you try to go any other way than the way you came in, you will run into curb every time. "You can't get there from here".

Old 09-04-2008, 09:27 AM

In San Francisco, (especially if you are new to standard transmissions) the STOP sign at the top of the steep hill will always be in the other driver's favor.

"Hazardous materials" placards on your truck trailer GUARANTEE that "stunt drivers" will want to perform in front of you...

EYEOFTHESTORM: Thanks, but I don't suffer, I keep doing this after 11 years just to see what happens next...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or