U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 10:15 AM

1,494 posts, read 1,509,949 times
Chinola....you said: 6) Flight Attendants - Don't get bitchy when I press the button to summons you. I realize you like to sit in your jump seat and do Sudoku, but you are WORKING and I need something. I can't sleep on planes so if I'm on an international flight or going to Hawaii, I will be calling on you about every 30 minutes for water, more ice, a drink, etc.

I totally agree that FA's should give good, no...EXCELLENT service! Honestly, I give it when I work a flight. HOWEVER, just because you cant sleep on a flight, please do NOT press the call button every 30 minutes to get water, ice, etc. NO, I am NOT sitting on the jumpseat doing puzzles, I hardly sit at ALL when I work. But the call button is there for emergencies, not for ice and water. I walk thru the cabin about every 20 minutes to see if anyone catches my eye and needs something. Imagine if every passenger did what you want to do on a long flight....the call bells would never stop if everyone did what you propose to do. Most of our planes hold over 200 passengers, imagine the call bells...they would be constant. I dont think most passengers realize that when we hear a call bell, we immediately assume it is an EMERGENCY.

We are not there as servants, we are not the entertainment. If you need water or ice or anything else, please come to the galley rather than to "summon" us with the call bell, we would be happy to provide whatever you need. Don't get me wrong, I am always happy to do what I can to make my passengers happy...just please, use curtesy with us just as you want and deserve it from us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 11:07 AM

5,257 posts, read 6,365,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
Things that bother me when flying:
1) People who don't wear socks and then remove their shoes. I don't want to smell your feet.
What if my feet don't smell?

Quote:
6) Flight Attendants - Don't get bitchy when I press the button to summons you. I realize you like to sit in your jump seat and do Sudoku, but you are WORKING and I need something. I can't sleep on planes so if I'm on an international flight or going to Hawaii, I will be calling on you about every 30 minutes for water, more ice, a drink, etc.
That's a bit excessive - I've been on many, many international 8 hour flights, I can't sleep either (well, if I'm lucky, I can maybe get in a very broken 2 hours of sleep but that's only happened twice) but I manage not to press the call button every 30 minutes! In fact, I don't think I've ever pressed it at all - if I need something, I just catch someone's attention the next time they walk passed. It sounds like you're doing it out of boredom, not because you actually need a drink or ice that often.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:31 PM

3,035 posts, read 3,575,779 times
I'm really shy about pressing the call button for anything..anyway, from Oz the flights anywhere o/s are so painfully long that any excuse to move my a$$ and walk around a bit is welcome. I try very hard not to disturb anyone else while doing so. There was one time when sudden turbulence nearly catapaulted me into someone's lap but that was kind of outta my control!

Old 09-28-2008, 09:29 AM

42,648 posts, read 19,520,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Then why repeat hearsay when you don't know it's true? How would he know she was xian?
Where in my post did I say that it wasn't true?

Believe me, she makes it known that she is a Christian. Besides, she was with a group of Christians from her church on a visit to the holy land.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:32 AM

6,270 posts, read 12,206,807 times
wait......there is a call button? I don't push any buttons on planes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
I'm really shy about pressing the call button for anything..anyway, from Oz the flights anywhere o/s are so painfully long that any excuse to move my a$$ and walk around a bit is welcome. I try very hard not to disturb anyone else while doing so. There was one time when sudden turbulence nearly catapaulted me into someone's lap but that was kind of outta my control!

Old 09-28-2008, 03:43 PM

111 posts, read 237,633 times
I've never had any bad flight experiences as far as the actual flight goes. Of course, 90% of the time I'm flying somewhere I'm usually in my dress uniform, and I've noticed I'm usually treated a lot nicer than the few times I've flown in civillian clothes.
But flight delays...? I've only had two of those. All I was trying to do was go home for right after Christmas through New Years. Due to circumstances that were out of my control, I had to move my flight to the next day, 27DEC2007. Oh well. So I get to the airport, go through security, and find the gate, and proceed to wait about four hours because the flight was delayed. No big deal, except for two things: 1 - there was a perfectly good, empty plane just sitting at the gate not being used in any way for anything the entire time from when I got there to when I finally left on my flight; and 2- we were supposed to leave at 3:30 pm but were delayed and didn't leave until 5:30 pm and my connecting flight to San Diego left at 5:30 pm...
So I missed it. Not my fault. They re-booked me on a flight to San Diego the next day. In the mean time, they put me up in a hotel for the night. The next day, I go to get on my flight, from Washington/Dulles to LAX to San Diego. But at the last minute, when they were boarding everyone, they decided to move me to the direct flight to San Diego that arrived around 10:30pm, verses 6:30 pm. I finally got home two days later then I was supposed to have. The return trip wasn't much better. The plane was having mechanical problems, so they individually rebooked every single one the the hundreds of passengers on that flight one at a time. That took literally 2-3 hours alone before I got to the front of the line. I then flew from San Diego to Alanta, and then Atlanta back to Norfolk. I didn't get back onboard my ship to report in from leave until nearly 1 AM!! Lessons learned - don't fly United...
That was all the same trip, btw; of course now, it's a funny story to tell friends over cocktails, but at the time I was about ready to kill something.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:45 PM

111 posts, read 237,633 times
Noisy passengers could be annoying, but I've never experienced any of those yet. But I'm also plugged into my iPhone listening to music until either the battery goes dead or the plane lands...

Old 09-29-2008, 11:51 AM

6,351 posts, read 13,026,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
wait......there is a call button? I don't push any buttons on planes.
Always good advice! Especially anything that's painted yellow & black...

Old 09-29-2008, 11:59 AM

3,031 posts, read 5,535,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Believe me, she makes it known that she is a Christian.
Nothing more annoying than a fanatic that can't manage to get through their day without being boorish.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:27 AM

8,183 posts, read 11,202,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
Things that bother me when flying:
1) People who don't wear socks and then remove their shoes. I don't want to smell your feet.
2) People who dress in sweats and uber casual clothes. You're traveling and this ain't Greyhound. At least try to look presentable.
3) When the person in front of me reclines and my tray is still down because either I'm still eating or the flight attendant has not yet picked up my tray. That drive me crazy.
4) When traveling in a vessel with recirculated air, please take a shower and refrain from masking your BO with perfumes.
5) Men - please don't sit in your seat and spread your legs so our legs touch. This isn't a city bus. I get enough of that on the bus. Difference is, I only paid $1.50 for the bus and don't spend 5 hours on it.
6) Flight Attendants - Don't get bitchy when I press the button to summons you. I realize you like to sit in your jump seat and do Sudoku, but you are WORKING and I need something. I can't sleep on planes so if I'm on an international flight or going to Hawaii, I will be calling on you about every 30 minutes for water, more ice, a drink, etc.

That's about it for me
You would be a very annoying person to sit next to. So judgmental and needy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel