U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 12:28 PM

812 posts, read 3,584,207 times

Advertisements

On longer flights, there will usually be water walks every so often, eliminating the need to push the call button. If it gets that bad, I've never had an F/A get mad at me for just going back to the galley and asking for something. Of course, that does get hard if you're in the window seat next to 2 strangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 12:10 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,174,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Chinola....you said: 6) Flight Attendants - Don't get bitchy when I press the button to summons you. I realize you like to sit in your jump seat and do Sudoku, but you are WORKING and I need something. I can't sleep on planes so if I'm on an international flight or going to Hawaii, I will be calling on you about every 30 minutes for water, more ice, a drink, etc.

I totally agree that FA's should give good, no...EXCELLENT service! Honestly, I give it when I work a flight. HOWEVER, just because you cant sleep on a flight, please do NOT press the call button every 30 minutes to get water, ice, etc. NO, I am NOT sitting on the jumpseat doing puzzles, I hardly sit at ALL when I work. But the call button is there for emergencies, not for ice and water. I walk thru the cabin about every 20 minutes to see if anyone catches my eye and needs something. Imagine if every passenger did what you want to do on a long flight....the call bells would never stop if everyone did what you propose to do. Most of our planes hold over 200 passengers, imagine the call bells...they would be constant. I dont think most passengers realize that when we hear a call bell, we immediately assume it is an EMERGENCY.

We are not there as servants, we are not the entertainment. If you need water or ice or anything else, please come to the galley rather than to "summon" us with the call bell, we would be happy to provide whatever you need. Don't get me wrong, I am always happy to do what I can to make my passengers happy...just please, use curtesy with us just as you want and deserve it from us.
I never thought of FA's as servants. I think of them as employees who are there to protect our safety and help us have a comfortable flight. I sometimes am not able to get an aisle seat, but always do when they are available. And when that's the case, I do go back to the galley and ask for water. But if I'm on the window or center, I don't want to bother my fellow passengers, especially if they're sleeping. Obviously, prior to 911, this wasn't an issue because we could all bring bottled water onboard. You're right about me not knowing that the call bell is meant for emergencies. In all of my years of flying, I have never been told that by an FA. Perhaps that should be added to the content of the pre take off instructions?

Old 10-03-2008, 07:32 AM

8,918 posts, read 13,669,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
Obviously, prior to 911, this wasn't an issue because we could all bring bottled water onboard.
You still can. You just have to buy it in one of the shops passed the security check point. I always buy a drink after going through security and take it on board.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:56 PM

6,262 posts, read 17,366,844 times
correct! I go even further by taking an empty water bottle through security then filling it at a water fountain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
You still can. You just have to buy it in one of the shops passed the security check point. I always buy a drink after going through security and take it on board.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:35 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,174,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
DUH! That solves that one. Now I won't be so annoying and needy on long flights. Apparently when I ring the call button, it's assumed that there may be an emergency! Who knew? I think that if the guy next to me starting going into cardiac arrest or something, I'd just scream "Emergency in aisle 16" and not even think to use the call button. I have a friend who is FA for American. I'll have to ask her about the call button issue.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:49 AM

8,918 posts, read 13,669,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
correct! I go even further by taking an empty water bottle through security then filling it at a water fountain.
Clever you! If I drank water, I'd take the advice but I usually buy some sort of juice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or